[Pnews] What you can do to support the release of Herman Bell!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 19 15:33:30 EDT 2018

Dear friends,

Last week the New York State Board of Parole granted Herman Bell
release. Since the Board’s decision, there has been significant backlash
from the Police Benevolent Association, other unions, Mayor De Blasio
and Governor Cuomo. They are demanding that Herman be held indefinitely,
the Parole Commissioners who voted for his release be fired, and that
people convicted of killing police be left to die in prison.

We want the Governor, policymakers, and public to know that we strongly
support the Parole Board’s lawful, just and merciful decision. We also
want to show support for the recent changes to the Board, including the
appointment of new Commissioners and the direction of the new parole
regulations, which base release decisions more on who a person is today
and their accomplishments while in prison than on the nature of their crime.

Herman has a community of friends, family and loved ones eagerly
awaiting his return. At 70 years old and after 45 years inside, it is
time for Herman to come home.

Here are four things you can do RIGHT NOW to support Herman Bell:

 1.

*CALL New York State Governor Cuomo’s Office NOW
*518-474-8390

 2.

EMAIL <https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/governor-contact-form>* New
York State Governor Cuomo’s Office
* https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/governor-contact-form

 3.

*TWEET at Governor Cuomo: use the following sample tweet:
*“@NYGovCuomo: stand by the Parole Board’s lawful & just decision to
release Herman Bell. At 70 years old and after more than 40 years of
incarceration, his release is overdue. #BringHermanHome.”

 4.

Participate in a CBS poll
<http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/03/15/herman-bell-parole-police-outcry/>* and
vote YES on the Parole Board’s decision
*The poll ends on March 21st. Please do this ASAP!

Script for phone calls and emails:

“Governor Cuomo, my name is __________and I am a resident of [New York
State/other state/other country]. I support the Parole Board’s decision
to release Herman Bell and urge you and the Board to stand by the
decision. I also support the recent appointment of new Parole Board
Commissioners, and the direction of the new parole regulations, which
base release decisions more on who a person is today than on the nature
of their crime committed years ago. Returning Herman to his friends and
family will help the heal the many harms caused by crime and decades of
incarceration. The Board’s decision was just, merciful and lawful, and
it will benefit our communities and New York State as a whole.”

Thank you for your support and contributions.

With gratitude,
Supporters of Herman Bell and Parole Justice New York