[Pnews] US Attorney’s office dismissed charges against 129 of the remaining 188 #J20 defendants

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 19 18:07:26 EST 2018

http://defendj20resistance.org/2018/01/19/solidarity-with-59.html

  FULL UNWAVERING SUPPORT FOR THE REMAINING 59 DEFENDANTS, SOLIDARITY UPDATE

        By DefendJ20Resistance

January 19, 2018

*On January 18, 2018, the US Attorney’s office dismissed charges against
129 of the remaining 188 #J20 defendants.*

This was almost on the anniversary of MPD’s mass arrest of 230 people at
the anticapitalist and antifascist march against Trump’s inauguration on
January 20, 2017. Following the mass arrest, all defendants were
indicted on a multitude of felony and misdemeanor charges.

Today, 59 people are still facing seven felony charges each, punishable
by over 60 years in prison. While the government alleges that these
people damaged property, planned the protests, or had knowledge of the
black bloc tactic, we know that this case has always been about
political repression and expanding the state’s ability to stifle
resistance. The government is making a calculated choice to single out
this group as they further their efforts to redefine basic political
organizing as conspiracy and to set the terms of what is “acceptable”
protest. Just as the anti-capitalist march was brutally attacked by
police in the streets, the government is attacking dissent by leveraging
the so-called “justice system” to break people’s spirits.

In December, we celebrated the full aquittal of the first six
defendants. While we continue to celebrate with the dismissal of charges
against these 129 defendants, we do so knowing that this was only made
possible by the bravery and hard work of both resistors and supporters.
We see the narrowing of the defendant pool for what it is: a scare
tactic and a renewed effort to try to secure as many convictions as
possible. As the government continues in its attempt to repress
political activity through conspiracy and rioting charges, we will
remain steadfast in our support of these 59 defendants.

The overwhelming majority of people arrested on January 20 immediately
recognized this as a political prosecution from the start and quickly
agreed to work together and coordinate our collective defense. It is
this collective defense – along with the innumerable fundraisers,
events, and work put in by supporters – that has gotten us this far. We
will actively support each and every remaining defendant. The government
will not break the solidarity among the remaining defendants in this
case, nor will their repressive strategy stop resistance to fascism,
capitalism, and the state. Every attempt to weaken us will only make us
stronger. Our capacity to resist has only grown.

This has been a long and harrowing year for the 194 people who committed
to taking their cases to trial and will continue to be for those still
facing charges. As J20 defendants, we have been bolstered by a massive
support base and our ability to fight our charges without having to sit
in jail for this past year. We know that most people captured by the
state are not this lucky. The legal system is designed to punish
arrestees long before they can get to trial, whittling down their
emotional and financial resources to impair resistance and coerce
concessions. The legal system is a weapon used to repress anyone that
challenges white supremacy, colonialism, and capitalism. This is the
daily reality for black, brown, immigrant, indigenous and poor
communites who challenge those systems both actively and by their very
existence. We recognize the support of a social movement and the need
for anti-prison efforts to reach every person facing charges and
intimidation. The dismissal of charges for 129 defendants, and the prior
acquittal of six others in December, shows both the power of solidarity
in fighting against state repression and the privilege of media attention.

Over 30 cities across Turtle Island are participating in a week of
solidarity with J20 arrestees. Thank you to everyone who has shown us
support; whether you hosted or donated to a fundraiser, boosted our case
on social media, dropped a banner or held a demo, came to court looking
sharp as hell, or sent your friends sweet words of love and
solidarity–it all keeps us going. We are all in this together. *Keep
showing up for the 59 remaining defendants and for all who resist the
state.*

Until everyone is free,
*Defend J20 Resistance*