[Pnews] Palestinian child prisoner population doubles over last three years

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 18 10:54:27 EST 2018

http://www.addameer.org/news/palestinian-child-prisoner-population-doubles-over-last-three-years

  Palestinian child prisoner population doubles over last three years

<http://www.addameer.org/#twitter>

January 18, 2018

Yesterday morning, in the Silwan neighborhood of Jerusalem, four
children were taken from their homes in pre-dawn raids. Only one of them
was over the age of 15. The international press or civil attention was
non-existent.  Such events and arrests have become increasingly common
since October 2015, with ebbs and flows in the number of arrested
depending on the current events. Last month alone, following Trump’s
announcement, the Israeli occupation forces detained around 450
children. It is safe to say that the trend in child arrests is
distinctly upwards.

The figures of imprisoned children speak for themselves. In December
2014, there were 156 child prisoners. At the end of 2015, this figure
had grown by over 300% to 470. As of December 2017, the figure stood at
350. As such, over the preceding three years, we have seen an effective
doubling of the child prisoner figure.

The remarkable thing about this increase is that it hasn’t come as part
of a corresponding increase in the general prisoner population. For
December 2014, there was a total of 6200 prisoners being held in Israeli
prisons. At the end of 2015, this figure was 6800, representing an
increase of far less than 1% of the total prison population. For
December 2017, the total prison population was less than that of 2014,
at 6171.

What should be visible from this brief analysis of the figures is that
we have actually seen a decrease in the overall prison population, but
seen a vast increase in the number of children being held.

So, while the focus on Ahed Tamimi is important and her commitment is
something that we should all admire, it is essential that there is focus
on the situation for all children in the occupied Palestinian territory.
Ahed Tamimi’s case, and her treatment, is not exceptional; it is,
unfortunately, the norm.

Addameer calls on the occupying power to abide by its obligations under
the fourth Geneva Convention in regard to the special attention that
must be given to meeting the needs of children amongst the protected
population. Additionally, we urge the occupying power to meet its
international obligations under the Convention on the Rights of the Child.