[Pnews] Jaan Laaman transferred - Avoids Move to CMU, After Long Period in Segregation

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 2 10:42:10 EST 2018

https://4strugglemag.org/2017/12/28/jaan-laaman-transferred-to-jusp-mccreary-in-pine-knot-kentucky/

  Jaan Laaman transferred to USP McCreary in Pine Knot, Kentucky

by 4struggle - December 28, 2017

*Avoids Transfer to CMU, After Long Period in Segregation*

As of December 28, 2017, Jaan K. Laaman, long-time anti-imperialist
political prisoner, has been transferred to USP McCreary in Kentucky —
after being held in segregation at USP Tucson for over 270 days — over 8
months. Please write Jaan at his new address right away so he feels the
love. We want the prison to be aware that he is supported by folks and
we have his back.

Please send greetings & love to:

Jaan Laaman #10372-016

USP McCreary

U.S. Penitentiary

P.O. Box 3000

Pine Knot, KY 42635

We’re happy to report that Jaan is back in general population! While at
Tucson, Jaan was held in segregation (minimum 23 hours a day, locked
down in a 6×9’ cell) since his birthday on March 21, 2017. Jaan was
placed into segregation because of two short messages which were shared
with his close family and friends: this statement in support of the “Day
Without a Woman Strike
<https://4strugglemag.org/2017/03/08/day-without-a-woman-strike-statement/>”
(International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017) which was printed in the NYC
Anarchist Black Cross (ABC) update, and “Farewell Thoughts to My Friend,
Lynne Stewart
<http://www.prisonradio.org/media/audio/jaan-laaman/farewell-thoughts-my-friend-lynne-stewart-235-jaan-laaman>”
which was broadcast on Prison Radio on March 9, 2017. Prison officials
made the absurd claim that these statements ‘threaten the security of
the prison.’

Transfer to CMU Prevented!

Jaan was threatened with transfer to a Communications Management Unit
(CMU)
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/get-involved/tools-resources/fact-sheets-and-faqs/cmus-federal-prison-system-s-experiment>
because of these statements. Jaan’s pro-bono attorney, Paul Gattone
filed a lawsuit challenging the attempt to transfer Jaan to a CMU. Paul
is a people’s lawyer who practices in the areas of civil rights and
criminal defense, and an owner of Revolutionary Grounds
<http://revolutionarygroundsonline.com/contact-us/> infoshop in Tucson, AZ.

Preparing for Parole Hearing:

Jaan is a Freedom Fighter and Must Come Home!

Preventing Jaan from being transferred to a CMU was the first goal. Jaan
is an Elder (69 years old) and needs to be brought home. Jaan should be
home with his siblings, family and loved ones. Jaan is a freedom fighter
who was convicted of actively fighting some of the worst crimes against
humanity in recent history–US backed atrocities like apartheid in South
Africa and genocidal wars in Central America. Jaan is a lifelong
anti-racist and anti-imperialist. We need his vision and voice at home
now more than ever. This work to bring Jaan home will be led by Jaan and
folks on the outside that Jaan identifies to lead up this effort. Please
let us know if you would like to help in this effort. Jaan and all
political prisoners must be brought home and we can make it happen!

This update was written by friends of Jaan Laaman. Contact:
jaanlaaman at gmail.com <mailto:jaanlaaman at gmail.com>; Facebook: Free Jaan
Laaman <https://www.facebook.com/Free-Jaan-Laaman-893324014061467/>;
Twitter: @4StruggleMag <https://twitter.com/4StruggleMag>. Learn more
about Jaan here <http://www.abcf.net/abc/pdfs/UFF.pdf> and here