[Pnews] Over 100 People in ICE Custody Begin Hunger Strike and Work Stoppage Inside the Northwest Detention Center

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 9 16:33:41 EST 2018

*Over 100 People Detained in ICE Custody Begin Hunger Strike and Work
Stoppage Inside the Northwest Detention Center*

*Migrants detained begin hunger strike, demand better conditions, lower
bonds and end of indefinite detention*

February 9, 2018  Tacoma, WA –

At least 120 detained migrants in four units at the Northwest Detention
Center (NWDC) have begun a hunger strike to protest the abuses they face
inside the facility, which is owned and operated by GEO Group, a private
prison company,for Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The strike comes
at the heels of a work stoppage on Wednesday February 7th by detained
people who work in the kitchen and just days after NWDC Resistance held
a People’s Tribunal in front of the NWDC.

Leaders of the strike report continued inhumane conditions and abuse at
NWDC. Strikers are demanding GEO Group provide edible, nutritious food
and emphasized the egregiousness of GEO’s practices by saying “food has
gotten so bad it makes people sick. Food served in the hole [solitary
confinement] is hardly enough, as we received smaller portions than
people in general population.” The use of isolation, particularly as a
form of retaliation, is a prevalent issue at NWDC. Strikers have also
reported that GEO guards constantly search the beds and units of
detained people without reason nor explanation and demand an end to
these searches.

In addition, strikers demand ICE provide fair hearings and lower bonds,
particularly in light of recent bond amounts as high as $35,000. This
contributes to ICE’s practices of indefinite and prolonged detention, as
do excessively long delays in carrying out deportation orders. Together,
these have the effect of keeping people incarcerated and growing GEO’s
profits.

Lastly, strikers delivered a message of resistance and called on others
to join their efforts, “We are used to retaliation and intimidation, we
are placed in the hole constantly, but no more! We need everyone to join
us and stop working!”

NWDC Resistance activists and allies will mobilize to support strikers
at the Northwest Detention Center. For live updates on the strike, visit
https://www.facebook.com/NWDCResistance/
<https://www.facebook.com/NWDCResistance/>

To post to this group, send email to
stopdetentionsinternational at googlegroups.com