[Pnews] Political Prisoner Leonard Peltier Statement - Feb 6, 2018

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 6 10:54:51 EST 2018

letterhead 2018 jpg

Leonard Peltier Statement February 6, 2018

Greetings Family, Friends and Supporters

I am overwhelmed that today Feb 6th is the start of my 43rd year in
prison. I have had such high hopes over the years that I might be
getting out and returning to my family in North Dakota. And yet here I
am in 2018 still struggling for my FREEDOM at 73.

I don’t want to sound ungrateful to all my supporters who have stood by
me through all these years. I dearly love and respect you and thank you
for the love & respect you have given me.

But the truth is I am tired and often my ailments cause me pain with
little relief for days at a time. I just had heart surgery and I have
other medical issues that need to be addressed: my aortic aneurysm, that
could burst at any time, my prostate and arthritis in my hip and knees.
I do not think I have another ten years, and what I do have I would like
to spend with my family. Nothing would bring me more happiness than
being able to hug my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

I did not come to prison to become a political prisoner. I’ve been part
of Native resistance since I was nine years of age. My sister, cousin
and I were kidnapped and taken to boarding school. This incident and how
it affected my cousin Pauline, had an enormous effect on me. This same
feeling haunts me as I reflect upon my past 42 years of false
imprisonment. This false imprisonment has the same feeling as when I
heard the false affidavit the FBI manufactured about Myrtle Poor Bear
being at Oglala on the day of the fire-fight. A fabricated document used
to extradite me illegally from Canada in 1976.

I know you know that the FBI files are full of information that proves
my innocence. Yet many of those files are still withheld from my legal
team. During my appeal before the 8th Circuit, the former Prosecuting
Attorney, Lynn Crooks, said to Judge Heaney. “Your honor, we do not know
who killed those agents. Further, we don’t know what participation if
any, Mr. Peltier had in it”. That statement exonerates me, and I should
have been released. But here I sit, 43 years later still struggling for
my Freedom. I have pleaded my innocence for so long now, in so many
courts of law, in so many public statements issued through the
International Leonard Peltier Defense Committee, that I will not argue
it here. But I will say again I DID NOT KILL THOSE AGENTS!

Right now I need my supporters here in the US and throughout the world
helping me. We need donations large or small to help pay my legal team
<https://sable.godaddy.com/c/25590?id=754029.1723.1.be3867857240b3158acd7b8186dc3353>
to do the research that will get me back into court or get me moved
closer to home or a compassionate released based on my poor health and
age. Please help me to go home, help me win my freedom!

There is a new petition my Canadian brothers and sisters are circulating
internationally that will be attached to my letter. *Please sign
<https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/international-demand-for-the-immediate-freedom-of-indigenous-political-prisoner-leonard-peltier-89637-132-wrongfully-imprisoned-42-yrs3.html>*
it and download it so you can take it to your work, school or place of
worship. Get as many signatures as you can, a MILLION would be great!

I have been a warrior since age nine. At 73 I remain a warrior. I have
been here too long. The beginning of my 43rd year plus over 20 years of
good time credit, that makes 60+ years behind bars.

I need your help. I need your help today! A day in prison for me is a
lifetime for those outside because I am isolated from the world.

I remain strong only because of your support, through prayers, activism
and your donations that keep my legal hope alive.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
Doksha,
Leonard Peltier

/If you would like a paper petition please email
contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info <mailto:contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info>/