[Pnews] Woman who climbed Statue of Liberty in immigration protest found guilty

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 17 17:21:37 EST 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/17/statue-of-liberty-climber-trial-us-immigration

  Woman who climbed Statue of Liberty in immigration protest found guilty

Victoria Bekiempis - December 17, 2018

An activist has been found guilty of a series of federal crimes after
she climbed on to the base of the Statue of Liberty this summer to
protest against the US policy of separating migrant families and holding
children in detention.

Magistrate judge Gabriel Gorenstein convicted Therese Patricia Okoumou,
who goes by Patricia, on Monday afternoon after a one-day bench trial in
New York <https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/new-york>, asserting that
the protester’s political and moral motivations did not trump the law.

Okoumou had grown teary on Monday as she told a judge in New York about
how the treatment of children at the US-Mexico border prompted her to
scale the statue in a high-profile protest
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/07/statue-of-liberty-protester-patricia-okoumou-interview>
on the Fourth of July this year.

“I wanted to send a strong statement that children do not belong in
cages,” said Okoumou, on Monday morning at the start of her trial at the
Manhattan federal court.

But in convicting her, Gorenstein wasn’t swayed, saying upon his guilty
verdict that if he didn’t uphold the law simply because of a
lawbreaker’s motivation, than it would undermine law in general.

“I would violate the oath of my office,” he said.

After the trial, Okoumou stood outside the courthouse, thanking friends,
her fellow members of the activist group Rise and Resist and supporters
in an upbeat tone.

“We stand on the right side of the history. I am not discouraged,” she said.

“While migrant children who simply came to this country, like our
ancestors did, to seek happiness, freedom and liberation. Instead of
welcoming them like Lady Liberty symbolizes, instead of treating them
with kindness, what we showed them is cages. So if I go in a cage with
them, I am on the right side of history.”

Okoumou, a Congo-born naturalized US citizen who lives in Staten Island,
was found guilty on charges
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/05/statue-of-liberty-climber-therese-okoumou-pleads-not-guilty>
of trespassing and interfering with government agency functions, as well
as disorderly conduct, in relation to her climb. She pleaded not guilty.

The charges collectively carry punishment of up to 18 months behind
bars. She will be sentenced at a later date.

Okoumou’s main concern – as it has been since her climb, when she had to
be retrieved by law enforcement officers attached to ropes – is the
children, she said.

Although an executive order last summer reversed the policy of
separating children from their parents upon crossing the border
unlawfully, the Trump administration reportedly continues
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/usimmigration> to do so by various
means, also detaining children who have crossed the border
unaccompanied, in hopes of claiming asylum or joining relatives already
in the US.

Several thousand migrant minors are being held
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/02/texas-detention-camp-swells-fivefold-with-migrant-children>
at a growing detention camp near El Paso, Texas. Meanwhile, many
children languish in deteriorating conditions on the Mexican side of the
border.

And as Trump clamps down on asylum applications, many migrants find
themselves in an administrative – and humanitarian – limbo.

“It would never happen in my country – we don’t treat children like
political bait,” she said. “I just have had nightmares and night sweats.”

One of Okoumou’s lawyers, civil rights litigator Ron Kuby, asked Okoumou
whether she would make the climb again.

“Yes,” Okoumou replied.

Kalikow did not ask Okoumou – who wore a cobalt dress with the words
“Seeking Asylum is NOT a Crime” for her court appearance – any questions.

Earlier in the day, opening statements foreshadowed the tenor of the
trial – while prosecutors would focus on rules, Okoumou’s supporters
would focus on conscience.

“She knew that what she was doing was wrong and illegal,” Kalikow said
in his opening statement. “Whether one sympathizes with the defendant
politically and morally is not at issue in this case.”

Kuby responded in his opening that the family separation policy “created
in her an imperative to act”.

“She did so on America’s most important day on America’s most important
symbol.”

Lawyer Mich
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/06/stormy-daniels-lawyer-michael-avenatti-donald-trump>ael
Avenatti
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/06/stormy-daniels-lawyer-michael-avenatti-donald-trump>,
who has joined
<https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1070786480497295360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1070786480497295360&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpix11.com%2F2018%2F12%2F17%2Ftrial-begins-for-protester-who-climbed-statue-of-liberty%2F>
Okoumou’s legal team, sat in the front row of the gallery.

The prosecution lauded Gorenstein’s verdict, calling Okoumou’s protest a
“dangerous stunt … that endangered herself and the NYPD and US Park
Police officers who rescued and apprehended her”.

Kalikow said: “The act of climbing the base of the Statue of Liberty
went well beyond peaceable protest, a right we certainly respect. It was
a crime that put people at grave risk. We commend Judge Gorenstein’s
decision to hold Therese Okoumou accountable for her dangerous and
reckless conduct.”

After the verdict, Hawk Newsome, who heads Black Lives Matter NYC, said:
“It’s the government versus Patricia – it wasn’t the people. If it was
the people, she would be free.”

Avenatti said the verdict was not surprising.

“But sometimes you have to stand on principle. History will be
incredibly kind to Patricia,” he said.