[Pnews] Israeli lawmaker stands by call to shoot Ahed Tamimi

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 26 10:13:27 EDT 2018

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/israeli-lawmaker-stands-call-shoot-ahed-tamimi

  Israeli lawmaker stands by call to shoot Ahed Tamimi

Tamara Nassar <https://electronicintifada.net/people/tamara-nassar> - 25
April 2018

Israeli lawmaker Bezalel Smotrich
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/bezalel-smotrich> published a tweet
on 21 April calling for a Palestinian child prisoner to be shot.

Smotrich wrote that he was “very sad” that Ahed Tamimi
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/ahed-tamimi> is in jail because she
“should have gotten a bullet, at least in the kneecap.”

“That would have put her under house arrest for the rest of her life,”
the lawmaker added, according
<https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-lawmaker-ahed-tamimi-should-have-gotten-a-bullet-1.6015411>
to the newspaper /Haaretz/.

Smotrich is a member of the extreme right-wing nationalist party Habayit
Hayehudi <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/habayit-hayehudi> (Jewish
Home).

He has advocated a plan
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/eu-refuses-condemn-israeli-genocide-plan>
for the expulsion of Palestinians that a noted Israeli Holocaust expert
has described as potentially genocidal.

That expert also said that Smotrich’s values resemble those of the Nazi SS.

Smotrich was responding to Israeli journalist Yinon Magal
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/yinon-magal>, who wrote, according
to /Haaretz/, “I’m watching this clip again and I am so glad that Tamimi
is still in jail. Sometimes, it’s good that the mill of justice grinds
slowly.”

    רואה את הסרטון החדש ושמח כל כך שהתמימי הזאת עדיין במעצר. לפעמים טוב
    שתחנות הצדק טוחנות לאט pic.twitter.com/QAhxol4vVq
    <https://t.co/QAhxol4vVq>

    — ינון מגל yinon magal (@YinonMagal) April 22, 2018
    <https://twitter.com/YinonMagal/status/987994680460759041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Magal tweeted a video that appears to show Ahed Tamimi confronting armed
Israeli occupation soldiers on a different occasion from the one for
which she was arrested last December.

Twitter temporarily suspended
<https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-twitter-limits-israeli-mk-who-said-palestinian-should-ve-been-shot-1.6026885>
Smotrich’s account and the tweet was deleted.

But Smotrich said
<https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/988484520235151360> that he
“stands behind every word in that tweet,” insisting that deterrence is
“attained through a balance of terror which is based on our
capabilities, on draconian and disproportionate punishment – house
demolitions, deportation of families, etc.”

    (2) MK Bezalel Smotrich, Deputy Speaker of the Knesset:

    "Deterrence is attained through a balance of terror which is based
    on our capabilities, on draconian and disproportionate punishment -
    house demolition, deportation of families etc."

    — Ofer Neiman (@ofer_n) April 24, 2018
    <https://twitter.com/ofer_n/status/988812205843013638?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Another Israeli journalist Tzippy Yarom tweeted that Smotrich was wrong
to settle for a mere shot in the kneecap, but that Ahed Tamimi should be
killed.

    סמוטריץ טעה.
    לא צריך לירות לגברת הצעירה בפיקת הברכיים.
    כל מי שמסית ופועל לרצח יהודים, כמו שהיא עושה בקביעות (חפשו וידיאו)
    צריך לנטרל אותו. לתמיד.
    הבא להורגך - השכם להורגו.

    — Tzippy Yarom صِپورة (@zpyarom) April 23, 2018
    <https://twitter.com/zpyarom/status/988507187856232448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

A video
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/video-israeli-interrogators-threaten-ahed-tamimi>
released earlier this month shows two Israeli interrogators taunt and
abuse Ahed during an interrogation at a police station in the Shaar
Binyamin settlement in the occupied West Bank on 26 December.

During the interrogation, the Israelis shout at and threaten the then
16-year-old, but she remains silent in the face of attempts to coerce a
confession, including through sexual harassment and threats to arrest
members of her family.

Ahed’s lawyer, Gaby Lasky
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/gaby-lasky> also filed a complaint
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/israeli-interrogators-sexually-harassed-ahed-tamimi-complaint-says>
earlier this month with Israel’s attorney general over the sexual
harassment of Ahed during the interrogation – though the office has done
nothing about previous complaints.

The incitement by Israeli public figures to shoot a child is notable
amid the current reality where that is precisely what Israeli soldiers
are ordered to do by their commanders
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/snipers-ordered-shoot-children-israeli-general-confirms>.

And such incitement is endemic among Israeli social media users.

One out of every nine
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/how-facebook-protects-israel>
Facebook posts written about Palestinians contains a call for violence
or a curse, according to a recent study
<http://7amleh.org/2018/03/05/7amleh-releases-new-racism-index-exposing-heightened-israeli-online-incitement-against-palestinians/>
conducted by the Palestinian campaign group 7amleh
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/7amleh>.

    Arrested as minors, tried as adults

Meanwhile, Palestinian teen prisoner Abdul Khalik Burnat
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/abdul-khalik-burnat-0>, from the
Palestinian village of Bilin
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/bilin>, was sentenced to 19 months
in prison and a nearly $5,000 fine on 22 April by an Israeli military
tribunal.

    The Ofer Military Court issued its sentence against my son,
    Abdul-Khaliq Burna, today, 22 April 2018: 19 months imprisonment, of
    which 13 months are to be served behind bars and 6 months are
    suspended for 3 years, as well as a fine in the amount of NIS 18K
    (nearly US$ 5,100 pic.twitter.com/NQsmrXh676 <https://t.co/NQsmrXh676>

    — Iyad Burnat (@IyadBurnat) April 22, 2018
    <https://twitter.com/IyadBurnat/status/988015990876327937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Burnat was accused
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/tamara-nassar/youngest-children-held-israel-jailed-months>
of throwing stones – one of the most common pretexts Israel uses to
arrest children – and of causing damage to Israel’s apartheid
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/landmark-un-report-backs-israel-boycott>
wall.

He was “kidnapped, beaten and detained on the night of 10 December while
getting pizza along with his friends,” according
<http://samidoun.net/2017/12/18-december-nyc-protest-to-free-abdul-khalik-burnat-and-stophp>
to prisoners rights group Samidoun.

Burnat’s father, Iyad Burnat, is a prominent advocate of unarmed
resistance in Bilin, who featured
<https://www.afsc.org/event/5-broken-cameras-iyad-burnat> in the
award-winning documentary /5 Broken Cameras
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/5-broken-cameras>./

Abdul Khalik Burnat was just 17 when he was arrested, but was subjected
to an Israeli military tribunal after he turned 18.

“Many arrested Palestinian children go through lengthy court hearings
and their sentencing hearings take place after they reach the age of
18,” according
<http://samidoun.net/2018/04/palestinian-teen-abdul-khalik-burnat-sentenced-to-19-months-in-israeli-prisons/>
to Samidoun.

Palestinians who are tried before Israel’s military kangaroo courts are
faced with a near-100 percent conviction rate
<https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/06/04/israel-50-years-occupation-abuses>.

In January 2017, Israeli forces shot Burnat in the head with a
rubber-coated metal bullet – a potentially lethal weapon
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/video-soldiers-celebrate-they-shoot-palestinians-west-bank>.

Occupation forces also previously detained him in a night raid in March
2017, while he was still recovering from his injuries, Samidoun added.

    Israel targets Jerusalem children

Almost one-fifth of all Palestinians arrested by Israel in 2017 were
children from occupied East Jerusalem – amounting to 1,138 children,
according to a new report
<http://www.addameer.org/publications/born-target-arrest-and-prosecution-jerusalems-palestinian-children-1>
by prisoners rights group Addameer.

    "One of them told me that if I worked with them, I would make it all
    easier for myself."
    Check out our latest factsheet on Jerusalem children. #BornAPrisoner
    <https://twitter.com/hashtag/BornAPrisoner?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>
    #NoWayToTreataChild
    <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NoWayToTreataChild?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>https://t.co/pondkoDjpT

    — Addameer –الضمير (@Addameer) April 24, 2018
    <https://twitter.com/Addameer/status/988751928342573056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Given that Palestinians in Jerusalem represent only six percent of the
Palestinian population under Israeli military occupation, “it is safe to
say that Jerusalemite children are experiencing a concentrated campaign
of arrests,” Addameer stated.