[Pnews] On Palestinian Prisoner's Day the Boycott Remains Defiant

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 20 10:44:16 EDT 2018

http://www.addameer.org/news/palestinian-prisoners-day-boycott-remains-defiant

  On Palestinian Prisoner's Day the Boycott Remains Defiant

<http://www.addameer.org/#twitter>

Occupied Ramallah, 17 April 2018 – On the occasion of Palestinian
Prisoners Day, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association
salutes the continued struggle of the over 6,000 Palestinian political
prisoners currently being held in Israeli prisons. Every year Israel
arrests thousands of Palestinians in an attempt to suppress the will to
self-determination and continue its colonization. The result:
approximately 800,000 Palestinians arrested since 1967.

As of 1 March 2018 there were 6050 Palestinian political prisoners being
held in Israeli prisons. This includes 427 administrative detainees; 356
children; 62 female prisoners; and 7 members of the Palestinian
Legislative Council. The situation of the prisoners continues to
deteriorate as they face a continued campaign of violations and
suppression. Detainees and prisoners, including children and women,
continue to suffer from ill-treatment and torture on a systematic basis.
These policies have resulted in the death of 72 prisoners from torture
since 1967.

On this occasion, we at Addameer reiterate our total support for the
ongoing boycott of all court proceedings regarding administrative
detention. The commitment of the prisoners and their lawyers has been
unwavering since the action began on 15 February 2018.

Their statement asserted that “the core of resisting the policy of
administrative detention comes from boycotting the Israeli legal
system.” Administrative detainees also stated that “[W]e put our faith
and trust in our people, their power and institutions, and in the civil
society which will not leave us alone in this fight. This is a national
patriotic act that should not be violated by any individual or
institution. As such, we call on the Palestinian Authority to make a
submission to international criminal court on the issue of
administrative detention as soon as possible.”

The Israeli occupation forces have been attempting to crush the boycott.
Detainees have been threatened, beaten, and forcibly made to attend
military court hearings. In regards to the lawyers, some have been
threatened with a financial penalty, or even receive complaints if they
continued with the boycott. In the face of such measures, the
administrative detainees decided to escalate their boycott.

On 12 April 2018, an individual from the representative committee of
administrative detainees informed the lawyers from Addameer that a
decision had been made to suspend their escalatory steps. These steps
had currently included rejecting medicine and refusing to visit the
medical clinics, which began 12 April 2018. Additionally, a planned
hunger strike, which was supposed to start on 14 April 2018.

The decision was made after the Israeli Prison Service (IPS) informed
the detainees that a meeting will soon be held between the
representative committee, representatives of the intelligence services,
the army, and the IPS to discuss the policy of administrative detention.

The Representative Committee stressed that, despite the de-escalation,
the boycott of court proceedings concerning administrative detention
will continue and the planned steps will be undertaken if the meeting
fails to materialize.

Addameer reasserts its unwavering support for administrative detainees
and their legitimate demands. We believe that Israeli’s systematic and
wide-scale implementation of the policy of administrative detention
represents a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention. In addition to
being in contravention of article 78, administrative detention is also
in violation of article 147 of the same convention, which means that the
policy constitutes a war crime and a crime against humanity according to
articles 8 and 9 of the Rome Statues.

Addameer calls on all Palestinian human rights organizations to adopt
one clear plan with the aim of supporting administrative detainees in
their coming steps as to ensure their success. Such support requires
national and international solidarity campaigns in order to amplify the
voice of the prisoners.  While they may be trapped in cells, we are able
to ensure their message is spread far and wide. Additionally, we urge
the activation of international accountability measures against the
Israeli occupation’s violations of international humanitarian law.

Finally, Addameer calls for release of all administrative detainees and
for the occupation to recognize their rights, as specified in the
relevant international legal instruments. We also ask all human rights
organizations around the world to support and show solidarity with our
administrative detainees. Currently, there are over 427 administrative
detainees in Israeli jails including 7 PLC members.