[Pnews] Political Prisoner and Native American Leader Leonard Peltier Undergoes Triple Bypass Surgery

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 5 10:56:24 EDT 2017

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Native-American-Leader-Leonard-Peltier-Undergoes-Triple-Bypass-Surgery-20170903-0007.html

  Native American Leader Leonard Peltier Undergoes Triple Bypass Surgery

September 3, 2017

Leonard Peltier
<https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Leonard-Peltier-Officially-Denied-Clemency-by-Obama-20170118-0079.html#comsup>,
U.S. political prisoner and Native American leader, is in stable
condition after undergoing triple bypass surgery, his defense committee
announced Saturday morning.

In a letter published by the International Leonard Peltier Defense
Committee, Peltier wrote that he had been “taken to an outside hospital
in Leesburg (Florida) for what I was told was a routine heart stress
test,” due to shortness of breath.

    *RELATED: *
    Even Leonard Peltier's Prosecutor Calls for Clemency
    <https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Even-Leonard-Peltiers-Prosecutor-Calls-for-Clemency-20170104-0001.html#comsup>

However, medics found “clogged arteries, 3 of them!” An immediate
operation was scheduled and Peltier underwent triple bypass surgery.

“My chest was opened and they took arteries from my legs and placed them
in the blocked arteries. I had to be given a liter of blood,” he said,
adding that now he's “back in prison” and getting around in a “wheelchair.”

Still suffering from a slight shortness of breath, Peltier nevertheless
said he was looking forward to his grandson's visit him next week.

A member of the Anishinabe, Dakota and Lakota Nations, Peltier is a
member of the American Indian Movement who was convicted of killing two
FBI agents during a shootout on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in
South Dakota in 1975. He has always maintained his innocence.

Evidence used in his conviction has long been scrutinized and found to
be falsely corroborated.

    *RELATED*:
    Instead of Pardon, Obama Gave Leonard Peltier a Death Sentence
    <https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Instead-of-Pardon-Obama-Gave-Leonard-Peltier-a-Death-Sentence-20160205-0023.html>

An international campaign led by Indigenous activists has brought Nobel
Peace Prize winners Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela and
Rigoberta Menchu, as well as Pope Francis, Amnesty International and
tens of thousands of supporters together to call for clemency for Peltier.

Even U.S. attorney James Reynolds, who was involved in the prosecution
of the case in 1977, wrote to former President Barack Obama saying
granting clemency to Peltier would be “in the best interests of justice."

"I think it’s fair to say that if he doesn’t get commuted by President
Obama, he’ll die in jail. He’s a very sick man," Peltier’s attorney
Martin Garbus told Democracy Now! in January.

That same month, the U.S. Office of the Pardon Attorney announced that
Obama denied clemency to the aging Peltier, who has developed several
health problems in his 40 years in prison, one of the longest serving
political prisoners in the United States.

“We are deeply saddened by the news that President Obama will not let
Leonard go home,” said Margaret Huang, executive director of Amnesty
International USA.