[Pnews] New from David Gilbert: Looking at the U.S. White Working Class Historically

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 13 11:29:18 EST 2017

A new greatly expanded edition of political prisoner David Gilbert's

*Looking at the U.S. White Working Class Historically *

has just been released by Kersplebedeb Publishing.

Looking at the U.S. White Working Class Historically tackles one of the
supreme issues for our movement: the contradiction embodied in the term
"white working class." On the one hand there is the class designation
that should imply, along with all other workers of the world, a
fundamental role in the overthrow of capitalism. On the other hand,
there is the identification of being part of a ("white") oppressor
nation. Gilbert seeks to understand the origins of this contradiction,
its historical development, as well as possibilities to weaken and
ultimately transform the situation. In other words, how can people
organize a break with white supremacy and foster solidarity with the
struggles of people of color, both within the United States and around
the world?

David Gilbert began this project in the early 1980s, while in jail
facing charges stemming from his activities in the revolutionary
underground. It started as a pamphlet reflecting on writings about race
and class by Ted Allen, W.E.B. DuBois, and J. Sakai. In the 1990s, he
added a retrospective essay, reviewing lessons from the 1960s and the
New Left he had been active in at the time. Over the years, Looking at
the White Working Class Historically (as it was known in previous
editions) has been widely circulated across multiple waves and
generations of activists. As Gilbert writes in the introduction to this
2017 edition, this text remains the most popular of his writings for
younger radicals seeking to build movements against racism.

This new edition contains all the material from previous versions
(including an essay by J. Sakai), along with a new introduction,
Gilbert's take on the election of Donald Trump, and an extensive new
text surveying changes in the global political order since the 1960s.
More than ever, Looking at the U.S. White Working Class Historically
explores and illuminates perspectives for radical change and resistance
to racism in the United States today.

To order your copy of Looking at the U.S. White Working Class
Historically from leftwingbooks.net, please visit
http://bit.ly/lookingwhiteworkingclass

Or to order from AK Press, please visit: http://bit.ly/ak-lwwch

And from Amazon.com: http://bit.ly/amzn-lwwch

To download a press sheet for this book, to bring to bookstores,
community groups, or pretty much anywhere else:
http://kersplebedeb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/lwwch_press-sheet.pdf

Please email info at kersplebedeb.com if you are interested in reviewing
this book, organizing a book launch in your area, or otherwise helping
us with promotion.

WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

“This book embodies what I have come to expect from all of David
Gilbert's writings: precision insight tempered with humanity, nuanced
historical analysis for the purpose of learning lessons, and an
everpresent willingness and even insistence on questioning everything,
especially his own work. Gilbert's honesty in his introduction about
what this book lacks strengthens rather than weakens its impact – He
does not pretend to have all of the answers, instead insisting the only
right answer is a collective one. He invites conversation and critique
rather than running from it, highlighted so clearly with a rebuttal by
one of the people's work he delves into. This book, like the politics
needed to build a new future, shows struggle as the dynamic living
growing creature it is.” —Walidah Imarisha, author of Angels with Dirty
Faces: Three Stories of Crime, Prison, and Redemption, and co-editor of
Octavia’s Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements

“David Gilbert’s analytical clarity, commitment to universal justice,
and unswerving integrity shine through his words.” —Barbara Smith,
founding member of the Combahee River Collective, and of Kitchen Table:
Women of Color Press; Consulting Editor, Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me
Around: Forty Years of Movement Building With Barbara Smith.

“When Malcolm X said John Brown was his standard for white activism, he
could have easily meant David Gilbert. He is our generation’s John
Brown. His support of Black liberation as a method of freeing the world
is to be studied, appreciated, and applied.” —Jared A. Ball, author of I
Mix What I Like! A Mixtape Manifesto, and professor of Media and
Africana Studies at Morgan State University

“If we want to organize white people against racism and for racial
justice, if you want to build up a broad-based majority for economic,
racial, and gender justice, if you are enraged at the devastation of
structural inequality in our lives and on our planet, then this book is
key. Class inequality is organized through white supremacy, and the
ruling class strategy of divide and rule of pitting working class and
poor white people against communities of color, must be understood.
David Gilbert gives us historical analysis to understand this ruling
class strategy, and how we can unite white people across class to a
collective liberation vision with racial justice at the center.” —Chris
Crass, author of Towards the “Other America”: Anti-Racist Resources for
White People Taking Action for Black Lives Matter

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

David Gilbert, a longtime anti-racist and anti-imperialist, first became
active in the Civil Rights movement in 1961. In 1965, he started the
Vietnam Committee at Columbia University; in 1967 he co-authored the
first Students for a Democratic Society pamphlet naming the system
“imperialism”; and he was active in the Columbia strike of 1968. He
later joined the Weather Underground and spent a total of 10 years
underground. David has been imprisoned in New York State since October
20th, 1981, when a unit of the Black Liberation Army along with allied
white revolutionaries tried to get funds for the struggle by robbing a
Brinks truck. This tragically resulted in a shoot-out in which a Brinks
guard and two police officers were killed. David is serving a sentence
of 75 years (minimum) to life under New York State’s “felony murder”
law, whereby all participants in a robbery, even if they are unarmed and
non-shooters, are equally responsible for all deaths that occur. While
in prison, he’s been a pioneer for peer education on AIDS and has
continued to write and advocate against oppression. He’s been involved
with the annual Certain Days Freedom for Political Prisoners Calendar
since 2001 and has written two books from prison that are available from
Kersplebedeb: No Surrender and Love and Struggle, as well as the
pamphlet Our Commitment is to Our Communities: Mass Incarceration,
Political Prisoners and Building a Movement for Community-Based Justice.

You can write to David at:

David Gilbert #83A6158

Wende Correctional Facility
3040 Wende Road
Alden, New York 14004-1187

BOOK INFORMATION SUBJECT CATEGORY History/Polics
PRICE $10.00 ISBN 978-1-894946-91-9
PAGE COUNT: 97 SIZE: 5.25 x 8
FORMAT: Paperback

DISTRIBUTED BY AK Press 370 Ryan Avenue #100 Chico, CA 95973 phone:(510)
208-1700 email:info at akpress.org web:akpress.org

Kersplebedeb Publishing CP 63560 CCCP Van Horne Montreal, Quebec Canada
H3W 3H8 email:info at kersplebedeb.com web:www.kersplebedeb.com
www.leftwingbooks.net

Also available from Ingram and Baker & Taylor.