[Pnews] Palestine - Hunger strikers at risk of permanent health complications

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 7 12:29:31 EST 2017

http://www.addameer.org/news/urgent-action-hunger-strikers-risk-permanent-health-complications

  Urgent Action: Hunger strikers at risk of permanent health complications

<http://www.addameer.org/#twitter>

Today marks the twenty-first day that Bilal Diab has been undertaking a
hunger strike against his administrative detention. Having been held
without charge for a year and hunger striking for 78 days in 2012, Bilal
was rearrested by occupation forces on 14 July 2017. He was given a six
month administrative detention order, without being informed of the
apparent reason for his imprisonment.

This barber from the village of Kufr Ra’i, outside of Jenin, is
currently undertaking the third hunger strike since his initial
imprisonment in 2012. These strikes add up to a total of 113 days spent
without food.

Such a period, despite the fact that it has been split up, is currently
having serious impacts on his health. From day 10 to day 21 of a hunger
strike, the period termed ‘decomposition’ begins. This period is
characterized by emaciation, and a sharp decrease in cognitive ability.
The risk of long term health consequences, and death, severely rises
after day 21.

Hunger striking requires a huge measure of discipline and will. It
amounts to a form of self-torture, which can bring the individual
extremely close to death. We all must ask, why do Palestinian prisoners
continually put themselves in such conditions. The answer inevitably is
that, in the mind of these prisoners, perpetual detainment without
charge or reason amounts to a fate worse than death. It is neither being
really alive or really dead, but a kind of limbo.

Bilal is being held under a process known as ‘administrative detention’.
Under such a process, individuals can be held for an indefinite period
of time without charge or knowing the reason for their detainment.
Administrative detention orders are issued for up to six month periods,
and can theoretically be renewed an infinite number of times. They are
issued based on information provided to a judge by the intelligence
services, which is meant to demonstrate the apparent security risk of
the individual in question. This information does not have to be shared
by the judge with the individual or with their legal representation.

Addameer considers administrative detention to be illegal under
international humanitarian law. The scope and extent to which the policy
is applied by the occupation authorities means that it cannot possibly
be for “imperative reasons of security”, as stipulated under Article 78
of the Fourth Geneva Convention. Currently, there are 463 individuals
being held under this process.

As such, Addameer is calling for an urgent action regarding Bilal’s case
and the other two prisoners, Hasan Hasneen Showka and Hamze Marwan
Boozea, who have been on hunger strike for 28 and 22 days respectively.
More information on each of their cases will be released over the coming
days.

We call for the immediate release of these three prisoners in
particular, and all administrative detainees in general. If the
occupation regime wishes to detain these people, they should allow for
due process and a fair trial.

In order to pressure the occupation authorities, we call on our
supporters to do the following:

  * If from an EU country, we call on you to contact your EU parliament
    member and compel them to issue a statement in the Parliament
    against administrative detention.
  * If for any other countries, contact your local representative to
    compel them to do the same.
  * Share Addameer’s information on both Administrative Detention, and
    our upcoming information on hunger strikes.
  * Change your profile picture on social media to the picture below in
    solidarity for the duration of the hunger strike.

In solidarity with the hunger strikers, Addameer will be publishing more
information on the prisoners, hunger strikes, and administrative
detention in the coming days.