[Pnews] #HelloWorld: Chelsea Manning's First Day out in the World

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 19 12:36:50 EDT 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/HelloWorld-Chelsea-Mannings-First-Day-out-in-the-World-20170518-0032.html

  #HelloWorld: Chelsea Manning's First Day out in the World

May 18, 2017

Chelsea Manning, the former army intelligence analyst who leaked U.S.
classified documents and was sentenced to 35 years in prison on 20
counts, including violations of the Espionage Act, was released from
military prison Wednesday morning after seven long years.

In a written statement released Wednesday, she said, "For the first
time, I can see a future for myself as Chelsea. I can imagine surviving
and living as the person who I am and can finally be in the outside world."

Manning posted several photos on Instagram and Twitter chronicling her
first day of freedom, including taking her sneaker-clad "first steps to
freedom," enjoying a slice of her "first hot, greasy pizza," and
celebrating her sweet freedom with the classic clink of the champagne
glasses. "Here's to freedom and a new beginning," Manning tweeted. And
last but not least, she posted an image of herself for the world to see.

Among several other things, Manning also commented on finding a
healthcare plan under the Trump regime. She said, "Two more days until
the freedom of civilian life... Now hunting for private #healthcare like
millions of Americans."

Soon after her commutation, Manning penned an article for the Guardian,
in which, she thanked her friends for their undying support. “I never
would have made it without you. Not only did you teach me these
important lessons, but you made sure I felt cared for. You were the
people who helped me to deal with the trauma of my regular haircuts,"
she wrote.

"You were the people who checked on me after I tried to end my life. You
were the people that played fun games with me. Who wished me a Happy
Birthday. We shared the holidays together. You were and will always be
family,” she added.

ACLU attorney, Chase Strangio, who was involved with Manning’s case,
told Common Dreams, "The first thing Chelsea always says when we talk
about her freedom is that she wants to give back to the trans community
— to fight for the many trans people, largely trans women of color, held
in custody."