[Pnews] Support Prisoners at California's Folsom Prison on Hunger Strike

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 26 10:40:36 EDT 2017

https://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/folsom-hunger-strike-began-may-25-2017-your-support-is-needed/#more-11954

  Folsom Hunger Strike began May 25, 2017 – Your support is needed

May 26, 2017

*NUMBERS TO CALL IN SUPPORT ARE BELOW**
*/On May 16th, inmates at Old Folsom State Prison made contact with the
outside world to announce that they would begin a hunger strike on May
25th. This announcement comes in response to ongoing mistreatment,
dehumanization, and unbearable living conditions at Old Folsom State
Prison./

/Hunger strikes are a last resort, a measure taken by those who truly
have no other way out. They often come with high risks and heavy costs
to prisoners. Incarcerated people commonly face disciplinary actions,
retaliation by prison officials, abuse, and further denial of their
basic human rights during hunger strikes- simply for exerting their free
will and resisting their mistreatment./

/The danger of these threats is compounded by the long-term health
consequences and extreme physical weakness that accompany starving
yourself in an environment that provides woefully inadequate medical
care. In short, these prisoners will desperately need our support./

/When incarcerated people take action to fight for their dignity, their
rights, and their lives, those of us on the outside must answer with
solidarity. Our support is crucial in getting their demands met and
minimizing retaliation against them. We must let these brave individuals
know that we have their backs, and that they will not be forgotten./

*The hunger strike has begun. Please read the information below and make
phone calls as soon as possible. All of the contact information you need
is included at the bottom. The following media release comes directly
from incarcerated people at Folsom State Prison (FSP) who are on strike:*

        Folsom ASU Media Release

On May 25, 2017 prisoners in Folsom State Prison B4 ASU (Administrative
Segregation Unit) in Represa, CA have started a hunger strike to
peacefully protest the conditions of their confinement in the
administrative segregation unit. Prisoners have exhausted all reasonable
remedies, to no avail. Further, prisoners have attempted to open lines
of communication with administrative officials and met with only
resistance and silence.

Folsom ASU is like stepping back in time to the era when prison
officials blanketed the injustice imposed on its solitary confined
prisoners and bluntly turned a blind eye to mistreatment and the
stripping away of basic human dignity and elements. As CDCR made drastic
changes throughout its prisons to put prisoners on roads of
rehabilitation and more humane living conditions, Folsom officials
reject the ideals and continue the injustice of the past.

To those reading who may find it hard to believe, just a few years ago
many will recall this same fight took place within the SHU (Security
Housing Unit). The direction, message, and programs CDCR implemented for
long term isolation to rehabilitate is ignored, shut out, and rejected
here in Folsom ASU.

Some might assume the impact of the struggle men endured within the SHU
to gain fair, dignified living conditions would have a long-lasting
effect, yet, men stand again, just as unified, ready to sacrifice their
bodies, health, and life to achieve what has already been hard fought
for and accomplished. Why must California prisoners continue to
sacrifice health and life, involve lawyers and courts, in order to be
treated like human beings? We will continue to remind CDCR officials
they will be held accountable for this type of treatment.

Prisoners in B4 ASU are forced to sit or stand idle in their cells or
yard cages without meaningful exercise, education, or rehabilitative
programs. We are already forced to endure atypical and significant
hardships due to being in segregated housing and solitary confinement.
When taken together, these conditions constitute cruel and unusual
punishment under the U.S. Constitution.

We are being deprived of basic human needs, including normal human
contact, environmental and sensory stimulation, mental and physical
health, entertainment, physical exercise, sleep, access to courts, and
meaningful activity. Prolonged exposure to these deprivations has caused
and will cause serious physical and psychological harm.

FSP (Folsom State Prison) is deliberately indifferent to prisoners
suffering. They are aware that prolonged social isolation, and lack of
environmental stimuli cause “serious psychological pain and suffering
and permanent psychological pain and suffering, and permanent
psychological and physical injury.”

CDCR is aware (Madrid-Ashker-Coleman) that the conditions of extreme
isolation will likely inflict some degree of psychological trauma. These
injuries include chronic insomnia, severe concentration and memory
problems, anxiety and other ailments. This is why all SHUs and most ASUs
within CDCR have provided prisoners with the opportunity to have TVs,
pull up bars, education, and social and rehabilitative programs.

However, FSP continues to claim lack of money as an excuse to not fall
in line with CDCR’s stated goals, and are content to ignore the
suffering of men in its care. We continue to be confined alone in our
cells with only misery for company.

Unfortunately our voice in here can be drowned out by administration,
but those out there can help by making their voice heard in concern with
our treatment. We urge you to call and email all officials and ask
questions on the conditions here, and make sure procedures are met for
those hunger striking.

The following are officials to contact:

  * Chief Deputy Inspector General – Roy Wesley – (916) 255-1102
    <tel:%28916%29%20255-1102>
  * Ombudsman Sara L. Smith (the person who is supposed to check on
    welfare, investigate complaints, etc.) – (916) 324-5458
    <tel:%28916%29%20324-5458>// sara.smith at cdcr.ca.gov
    <mailto:sara.smith at cdcr.ca.gov>
  * Secretary Scott Kernan – scott.kernan at cdcr.ca.gov
    <mailto:scott.kernan at cdcr.ca.gov>
  * Undersecretary Ralph M. Diaz – ralph.diaz at cdcr.ca.gov
    <mailto:ralph.diaz at cdcr.ca.gov>
  * Governor Jerry Brown – (916) 445-2481 <tel:%28916%29%20445-2481>
  * Chief Office of the Ombudsman – Sara Malone –
    sara.malone at cdcr.ca.gov <mailto:sara.malone at cdcr.ca.gov>
  * Public Information Office of Folsom – Jack Huey – (916) 985-2561
    <tel:%28916%29%20985-2561>// jack.huey at cdcr.gov
    <mailto:jack.huey at cdcr.gov>
  * Folsom Warden – Ron Rackley – ron.rackley at cdcr.ca.gov
    <mailto:ron.rackley at cdcr.ca.gov>

Sent to a secretary or voicemail? Leave a message for the official you
are trying to contact.

First time calling in? You can find a detailed guide _here_
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251DPVDQ17A>.

SAMPLE SCRIPT:

“Hello, my name is ____________and I’m a resident of California. I am
calling in support of the hunger strike that began May 25th at Folsom
State Prison. I am deeply concerned about the inhumane conditions of
confinement that have brought this on, and strongly urge you to act upon
the prisoners’ demands, which are reasonable and amount to basic human
rights.”