[Pnews] Our dear brother and Black Panther comrade, Sekou Kambui made his transition last night

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 10 10:49:42 EDT 2017

Our dear brother and Black Panther comrade, Sekou Kambui
<https://www.facebook.com/sekou.kambui.7> (sn William Turk) made his
transition last night. The struggle for freedom defined him in so many
ways. After 47 years as a political prisoner in Alabama prisons, and his
release in 2012, he can now rest in peace. Farewell my dear friend.
- Audri Scott Williams <https://www.facebook.com/audri.williams>

https://denverabc.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/sekou-kambui-life-after-47-years-as-a-political-prisoner/

  Sekou Kambui – Life After 47 Years as a Political Prisoner

July 24, 2016

sekou <https://denverabc.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/sekou.png>

Denver, CO – It has been two years since Sekou Kambui
<https://denverabc.wordpress.com/prisoners-dabc-supports/political-prisoners-database/sekou-kambui/>
was released from the Alabama prison system after spending 47 years of
his life incarcerated. He and fellow Human Rights activist Audri Scott
Williams <http://www.audriscottwilliams.com/> spoke in Denver on
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 at an event hosted by Denver Anarchist Black
Cross <https://denverabc.wordpress.com/> about his life after prison and
their current collective work.

During his teenage years in the 1960s, Sekou participated in the Civil
Rights movement through mobilizing fellow youth in Alabama and providing
security for meetings of the Southern Christian Leadership Council
<http://sclcnational.org/our-history/> (SCLC), Congress for Racial
Equality <http://www.congressofracialequality.org/> (CORE) and the
Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee
<http://onevotesncc.org/stories/story-sncc/> (SNCC).

When Sekou was 19 years old, he became affiliated with the Black
Panthers Party for Self-Defense
<http://www.blackpast.org/aah/black-panther-party>, as well as, the
Republic of New Afrika <http://www.pg-rna.org/>. In the 1970s, Sekou
spent most of his time community organizing in Birmingham, Alabama with
the Alabama Black Liberation Front
<http://thetalkingdrum.com/freedomfighters.html>, the Inmates for
Action, and the Afro-Amerikan People’s Party
<http://www.blackpeopleparty.com/>.

Because of his activism in the Civil Rights movement, he was watched
closely by the FBI’s counterintelligence program entitled COINTELPRO
<http://www.assatashakur.com/cointelpro-blackpanthers.htm>, and was
subsequently profiled and pulled over on January 2, 1975 for allegedly
running a yield sign and/or speeding. During the traffic stop the
officer found a pistol in Sekou’s vehicle, and after strong suspicion by
the officer that it was the weapon listed as stolen during a Tuscaloosa,
Alabama murder, Sekou was taken into custody and charged for the murders
of the two white men; a fireman and KKK official Olmstead Copeland and
multi-millionaire oilman John Harbin.

Throughout both trials, major witnesses admitted that they had been
coerced into testifying falsely against Sekou and were repeatedly
visited by certain members of the Tuscaloosa County and Jefferson County
Sheriff’s Department and were deliberately coached on what to say during
their testimonies.

Sekou was never placed at or near the crime scene, the real murder
weapon was never found, nor was there ever any direct evidence to
connect him to the murders.

While in prison Sekou remained politically active by becoming a
jailhouse lawyer and prisoners’ Civil and Human Rights activist. Many
prisoners owe their freedom to Sekou’s legal efforts on their behalf. He
has won numerous civil actions regarding medical malpractice, abusive
treatment, abusive segregation, and abusive prison conditions.

Sekou explains his motivation for becoming a jailhouse lawyer:

    “Once I entered prison, what was I going to do but do the same thing
    I did out of prison? And that was organize—fight the powers that be
    for a better life and quality of life. The prisons were overcrowded
    and people in beds were about as close as arm-to-arm. It was filthy
    and the food was bad. A lot of times you’d find feces from some
    animal or another—mice, roaches, whatever. You’d break open a piece
    of cake and it had been invaded by spiders and you’d just pull it
    and spider webs would come with the cake. So we had a lot of work to
    do. As I was becoming an up-and-coming jailhouse lawyer, I began to
    attack and challenge those things, and with some success. And out of
    their success, I became notorious throughout the prison system as
    one ‘leave-him-alone’ litigator.”

Since his release on June 30th, 2014, he has relentlessly continued his
Civil and Human Rights activism by touring nationally with The Red Flame
for Freedom <http://theredflameforfreedom.com/>. The organization’s main
goal is to raise awareness about the proliferation of modern day slavery
experienced through sex trafficking, human trafficking, mass
incarceration, and children in poverty.

    “Going back to prison is not on my agenda. It’s not an option to be
    considered. But I’m not going to stop doing what I’m doing. And I’m
    going to take every breathing moment I can to get out and propagate
    truth and reveal the lies about what’s going on behind prison
    walls,” Sekou added.

Audri Scott Williams, one of the founders of The Red Flame for Freedom,
spoke about her lengthy and expansive international and national Human
Rights activism. Since 2000, she has participated in and organized many
walks for social justice change, the environment, and for many more causes.

During the Q&A dialogue, Audri added:

    “It’s that relentless pursuit of what calls you, alright, and
    believe me you wouldn’t be sitting here if something wasn’t calling
    you. We’re living at a time now where the issues are so big and so
    broad that you can literally just pick one and go for it. The
    biggest challenge is not whether there’s something you can align
    with, the biggest challenge is you must know that you can make a
    difference.”

Sekou is also involved in the Free Alabama Movement,
<https://freealabamamovement.wordpress.com/> which is an organization
formed by people in men’s prisons in Alabama to fight mass incarceration
and prison slavery “that supports the Non-Violent and Peaceful Protests
for Civil and Human Rights by the men and women (and children) who are
incarcerated in Alabama, Mississippi, and anywhere else in the U.S.A.”