[Pnews] Palestinian prisoners on the front lines: 69 years of resistance to ongoing Nakba

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon May 15 10:52:33 EDT 2017

http://samidoun.net/2017/05/palestinian-prisoners-on-the-front-lines-69-years-of-resistance-to-ongoing-nakba-struggle-for-return-and-freedom/

  Palestinian prisoners on the front lines: 69 years of resistance to
  ongoing Nakba, struggle for return and freedom

*May 15, 2017

On the 69th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakba, the occupation of 78
percent of Palestinian land by Zionist forces and the forced
displacement and expulsion of 750,000 to one million Palestinians from
their homes and lands, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network
emphasizes our solidarity with the Palestinian people’s ongoing struggle
for return and liberation.*

Throughout these 69 years of settler colonialism, apartheid and
occupation, the Nakba has been an ongoing event – of continuing conquest
of Palestinian land and ongoing attempts to erase Palestinian identity
and existence by driving the people from the land. 69 years of the Nakba
also means 69 years of Palestinian prisoners’ imprisonment and
resistance in Zionist jails. Since 1948, one million Palestinian
prisoners have been jailed by the Israeli occupation, all of them
strugglers for Palestinian freedom and Palestinians holding fast to
their identity, land and existence. This marks a direct line of
continued struggle, from that of the Palestinian prisoners in British
colonial jails imprisoned for demanding their self-determination and
national rights, free of colonization and occupation.

Today, Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails are not only on hunger
strike for their basic human rights. They are the first line of struggle
for the right of return of millions of Palestinian refugees, denied for
nearly 70 years, and for the liberation of Palestine’s land and
people. The history of Palestinian resistance to the Nakba, the history
of the Palestinian revolution, is the history of Palestinian prisoners
<http://learnpalestine.politics.ox.ac.uk/teach/week/12>. With their
hunger strike today, they are not only resisting oppression, torture and
injustice inside prison; they are resisting the ongoing Nakba with their
empty stomachs, salt and water. The Palestinian prisoners themselves are
from every part of Palestine – from occupied Palestine ’48, from the
West Bank, the Gaza Strip, Jerusalem, from the Palestinian refugees
expelled from their homeland.

Palestinian refugees struggling to return following the Nakba were
constantly targeted for imprisonment and criminalization, labeled
“infiltrators”
<http://maxblumenthal.com/2011/05/after-1948-how-israel-stopped-the-outcast-race-from-returning-home/>
and a menace to the Zionist state. At the same time, Palestinian
political organization in Palestine ’48 was ruthlessly suppressed and
criminalized. From the beginning of the Zionist colonization of
Palestine, imprisonment has been a consistent and widespread weapon of
colonialism in an attempt to undermine and suppress the living
resistance of the indigenous Palestinian people.

In the Arab states surrounding Palestine where Palestinian refugees had
fled, early Palestinian revolutionaries struggling for their return to
Palestine and the liberation of their land faced yet more repression and
complicity. In the early years of the Palestinian revolution, the
Jordanian regime imprisoned thousands of Palestinian strugglers in an
attempt to suppress the resistance from the borders of Palestine.
Legendary Palestinian leaders like Abu Maher al-Yamani
<http://adibkawar.blogspot.be/2011/01/abu-maher-al-yamani.html>, who was
imprisoned numerous times by the Lebanese government, and Abu Saleh
al-Assadi <http://pflp-documents.org/pflp-bulletin-winter-1983/>, whose
history of returning to Palestine and back to Lebanon was later
fictionalized, also faced repeated imprisonment. Palestinian
revolutionary leaders like George Habash
<http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/7547/george-habash_a-profile-from-the-archives>,
Wadie Haddad
<http://pflp.ps/english/2016/03/29/on-the-anniversary-of-the-martyrdom-of-wadie-haddad-pflp-calls-for-the-escalation-of-palestinian-revolutionary-approach/>
and Hamdi Matar
<http://learnpalestine.politics.ox.ac.uk/uploads/sources/58e77613aa780.pdf>
faced imprisonment in Arab jails on multiple occasions.

The struggle of Palestinian prisoners has also reflected both the
international nature of the struggle and the worldwide displacement of
Palestinian refugees denied their right to return. The United States,
European powers and other colonial and imperialist states have aligned
with the Zionist movement, the Israeli occupation of Palestine and its
ongoing Nakba: the confiscation of land, racist laws and apartheid
structure in Palestine ’48, the imprisonment of one million
Palestinians, the attempt to erase Palestinian identity and existence in
Jerusalem, the siege on Gaza and the denial of the right to return for
millions of Palestinian refugees. This is also reflected in the labeling
of Palestinian resistance movements as “terrorist organizations”
<https://redsparksunion.wordpress.com/campaign-to-scrap-the-terrorist-list/>
and the imprisonment of Palestinian strugglers – often refugees
themselves – by the same states whose economic, military and diplomatic
complicity and support makes ongoing Israeli settler colonialism and
apartheid possible.

 From the imprisonment of Georges Ibrahim Abdallah
<http://samidoun.net/2017/04/georges-ibrahim-abdallah-launches-three-day-hunger-strike-in-solidarity-with-palestinian-prisoners/>
– Lebanese struggler for Palestine, inspired by the Palestinian
revolution and its leadership in the Arab struggle – for 33 years in
France, to the persecution of Rasmea Odeh
<http://samidoun.net/2017/04/150-of-rasmea-odehs-closest-supporters-join-her-at-plea-hearing/>,
former political prisoner and current-day community leader, and the Holy
Land Five in the United States, the Palestinian political prisoners in
international jails are also prisoners of the ongoing Nakba and
resisters struggling to bring it to an end. These veterans of struggle
continue to live today, including the first wounded prisoner of the
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine in Israeli jails, Sakhran
Sakhran
<http://pflp.ps/english/2016/12/24/berlin-event-defies-zionist-pressure-to-commemorate-anniversary-of-pflp/>,
imprisoned in 1966 and held for many years before winning his freedom in
a prisoner exchange; today, he continues his struggle in the Palestinian
community in diaspora.

*As we mark the 69th anniversary of the Nakba and approach 70 years of
the Palestinian catastrophe of settler-colonial occupation, and as we
also mark 50 years of the expanded occupation of all of Palestine and
the Syrian Golan Heights, and as we mark 100 years of British
colonization and its alliance with Zionism in Palestine through the
Balfour declaration, Palestinian political prisoners are leaders of the
struggle for Palestinian freedom, for the right of return of Palestinian
refugees and the liberation of all of the land of Palestine.*

        *The Strike of Dignity and Freedom: Resisting the Continuing Nakba*

There are currently approximately 6300 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli
jails, part of the 1,000,000 imprisoned since 1948. 1500 of them
launched a hunger strike
<http://samidoun.net/2017/04/1500-palestinian-prisoners-launch-largest-collective-hunger-strike-in-years-take-action-in-support/>,
now in its 29th day, on the 17th of April, Palestinian Prisoners’ Day.
The Strike of Dignity and Freedom demands an end to denials of family
visits, proper health care and medical treatment, the right to education
and an end to solitary confinement and imprisonment without charge or
trial. More than that, however, it asserts Palestinian freedom and
Palestinian dignity against the ongoing Nakba, embodying Palestinian
resistance as the prisoners have for over 69 years. Today, they are
struggling, and indeed, leading the struggle, for the freedom of
Palestine, its land and people.

Palestinian political leaders like Ahmad Sa’adat
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/the-will-of-the-strikers-derives-from-the-will-of-the-palestinian-people-ahmad-saadat-at-legal-visit-today/>
and Marwan Barghouthi
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/29-days-of-hunger-strike-commercial-strike-in-the-west-bank-barghouthi-saadat-receive-legal-visits/>
are held behind bars in an attempt to isolate them from the struggle of
the Palestinian people. Instead, however, they are far from isolated and
their words echo around the world as the imprisoned leaders of the
Palestinian liberation movement.

*On the 69th anniversary of the Nakba, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner
Solidarity Network greets this occasion with remembrance and mourning
for the lives and land taken by colonialism, apartheid, Zionism and
occupation in Palestine. More importantly, however, we meet this
anniversary with a renewed and deepened commitment to build our
solidarity around the world with the Palestinian people’s struggle for
return and liberation. We urge all movements for justice and liberation
to expand our common struggles and links of solidarity to struggle
together to confront mass incarceration, political imprisonment and the
criminalization and oppression committed by racism, capitalism, Zionism
and imperialism, from the United States to Ireland to Turkey to France
to the Philippines.*

*Today, we stand with over 6 million Palestinian refugees struggling to
return to their lands, for the liberation of Palestine. We stand with
the Palestinian prisoners who are on the front lines, facing harsh
repression with their bare bodies and empty stomachs. And we pledge to
escalate the campaigns forboycott, divestment and sanctions
<https://bdsmovement.net/news/bds-upholding-our-rights-resisting-ongoing-nakba>,
for the isolation of the Israeli state and its ongoing Nakba, and for
the boycott of the corporations, like HP and G4S, who continue to profit
from that Nakba and its systems of imprisonment and oppression. We
pledge to organize, mobilize and escalate our solidarity with the
Palestinian prisoners and the Palestinian people everywhere in the world
– for return, for liberation, for the reversal of the ongoing Nakba, the
freedom of the Palestinian prisoners, the Palestinian people and all of
the land of Palestine.*