[Pnews] 22 Days of Hunger Strike: Strike enters fourth week as Palestinians urge intensified support actions

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon May 8 10:37:03 EDT 2017

http://samidoun.net/2017/05/22-days-of-hunger-strike-strike-enters-fourth-week-as-palestinians-urge-intensified-support-actions/

  22 Days of Hunger Strike: Strike enters fourth week as Palestinians
  urge intensified support actions

May 8, 2017

As Palestinian prisoners enter their fourth week of hunger strike
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/prisoners-enter-21st-day-of-hunger-strike-face-growing-threat-to-their-health-and-continuing-repression/>,
the national committee to support the strike issued a statement urging
serious and escalated action in support of their protest, including
strikes, full boycott of Israeli goods and civil disobedience. Monday, 8
May marks the 22nd day of the open hunger strike, launched on 17 April
by approximately 1500 Palestinian prisoners
<http://samidoun.net/2017/04/1500-palestinian-prisoners-launch-largest-collective-hunger-strike-in-years-take-action-in-support/>
in Israeli jails.

The strikers have a series of demands, including an end to the denial of
family visits, proper health care and medical treatment, access to
higher education and an end to solitary confinement and administrative
detention, imprisonment without charge or trial. They have faced sharp
repression at the hands of the Israeli prison administration, including
denial of legal visits and family visits, confiscation of personal
belongings, frequent abusive transfers and solitary confinement. Leaders
of the strike, including Marwan Barghouthi, Karim Younis and Kamil Abu
Hanish, have been targeted for isolation;
<http://samidoun.net/2017/04/more-hunger-strike-leaders-thrown-into-isolation-legal-visits-continue-to-be-denied/>
prominent Palestinian leaders who have joined the strike, including PFLP
General Secretary Ahmad Sa’adat, Hamas prison leader Abbas el-Sayyed and
longest-serving veteran prisoner Nael Barghouthi, have been isolated and
repeatedly transferred as well.

The strikers are threatened with the potential of force feeding,
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/new-statement-by-the-palestinian-prisoners-movement-we-call-for-urgent-action-to-confront-the-plans-for-the-prisoners-execution/>
especially as the Israeli press has run reports that far-right Minister
of Internal Security Gilad Erdan is pushing for heavy repression and the
potential importation of doctors from abroad to forcibly feed
hunger-striking Palestinian prisoners. “This trend carries with it
preparation for a targeted crime against the prisoners with the
intention of murder. It is clear that we are in the next stage now, that
of repression, abuse, and attempts to break the strike through
threatening the lives of the prisoners. The ongoing preparations
indicate that there is a decision taken against the prisoners to their
deaths at the hands of a gang of fascists in Tel Aviv. This is what
makes this confrontation an extraordinary moment,” wrote the prisoners
in their statement
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/new-statement-by-the-palestinian-prisoners-movement-we-call-for-urgent-action-to-confront-the-plans-for-the-prisoners-execution>
urging outrage and action against the force-feeding threat.

Abusive transfers continued as a means to pressure the prisoners;
Democratic Front leader Wajdi Jawdat
<http://www.maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=906570> was transferred from
isolation in Ayalon prison to isolation in Beersheba prison. This is the
third transfer of Jawdat, the representative of DFLP prisoners in
Israeli jail.

Palestinian lawyer Khaled Mahajna
<http://www.maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=906544> was able to obtain a
legal visit on Sunday, 7 May with two hunger-striking prisoners in the
Negev desert prison, Ibrahim Abu Srour and Nael Hussein, the first time
these prisoners or any hunger strikers in this prison have received a
visit since 17 April. Mahajna reported that the health status of the
strikers is deteriorating severely and most lay in bed throughout the
day and find it very difficult to stand. Abu Srour said he fainted the
week before and continues to have back pain, but has not been given
medical treatment; he said he was offered treatment if he ended his
hunger strike. The prisoners also reported frequent nightly raids and
inspections and deliberate offers of food from Israeli guards. The
hunger strikers in the Negev prison have also been fined 450 NIS ($130
USD) each for not standing during roll call; however, they also told
Mahajna that their morale is high and they are determined to continue
until their demands are achieved.

Prominent figures have continued to announce their hunger strikes in
support of the prisoners. Archbishop Atallah Hanna
<https://english.palinfo.com/news/2017/5/7/archbishop-hanna-to-start-hunger-strike-in-solidarity-with-prisoners>
of the Greek Orthodox Church announced on 7 May that he will launch his
own hunger strike on Monday to support the demands of the prisoners,
emphasizing that “the prisoners’ cause is that of the entire Palestinian
people.”  Hanna’s announcement comes shortly after the declaration that
Palestinian resistance icon Leila Khaled
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/leila-khaled-announces-open-hunger-strike-for-palestinian-prisoners-as-catholic-patriarch-international-students-fast-in-solidarity/>
and Catholic patriarch Gregory III Lahham were also launching hunger
strikes in support of the prisoners.

Eight Palestinian mothers of hunger-striking prisoner children are
continuing open hunger strike as are a number of released prisoners;in
Nablus <http://asravoice.ps/post/6663>, five activists including Zaher
al-Shishtiri, a leader in the Poplar Front for the Liberation of
Palestine, announced an open hunger strike on Sunday, 7 May.  These
actions are reflected internationally
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/leila-khaled-announces-open-hunger-strike-for-palestinian-prisoners-as-catholic-patriarch-international-students-fast-in-solidarity/>,
with strikes taking place
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/solidarity-strikes-spreading-through-europe-after-manchester-and-edinburgh-student-hunger-strikes-launched/>
in Turin, Bologna, France, Maastricht, Manchester, Edinburgh and elsewhere.

In Lebanon, Six Palestinian refugee youth from Beddawi
<https://facebook.com/pages/handala67/> refugee camp, part of the
Palestinian Youth Organization, announced hat they are launching a
hunger strike in support of the Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails:
Mohammed Taha Abu Bakr, Ibrahim Muhawesh, Khaled al-Shibli, Khalil Musa,
Bara Abu Siraj and Ahmad Yassin.

Protests are continuing around Palestine and the world in support of the
prisoners
<http://samidoun.net/2017/05/global-schedule-of-events-to-support-palestinian-prisoners-hunger-strike/>.
On Monday, 8 May, international events are planned in London, Santiago
and Olympia in support of the prisoners, following protests and programs
in Quito, Munich, Amsterdam, Cagliari and Seattle on Sunday, 7 May to
support the strike.

The National Committee to Support the Battle of Freedom and Dignity
issued a statement <http://www.maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=906449> in
Palestine on Sunday, 7 May, urging the escalation of efforts to support
the prisoners. A translation of the statement follows:

No voice is louder than the voice of the uprising of the prisoners

Statement of the National Committee for the Support of the Battle of
Freedom and Dignity

Oh, children of the brave masses of our people; oh, the steadfast ones
on the pure land of Palestine…

The battle for freedom and dignity will continue and intensify in the
face of the fascist occupation state that has fueled all of its
capacities and recruited its organs and institutions to confront this
battle of freedom and dignity, in an attempt to break the will of the
prisoners and, behind them, the strength and the will of our heroic
Palestinian people.

We emphasize that we stand united behind our heroes, engaged in this
battle in the prisons as it enters the 21st day. We say to the occupying
power, and to the criminal directors of the prisons, that we will be a
force for victory for our prisoners to gain their legitimate rights,
leading to their just and honorable freedom.

At this crucial moment for the strike, there is no room for hesitation.
It is necessary now to take decisive steps at all levels and muster all
of our capacities in the service of this battle, so we adopt the
statement of the Prisoners’ Movement and therefore, call for these steps:

First, to engage in large-scale civil disobedience, including the
closure of the bypass roads in the face of the occupation army and
settlers, launching from all villages, camps and cities to the nearest
point of the bypass roads and marching for closure, towards full closure.

Second, we demand that the Palestinian Authority announce the immediate,
clear and unambiguous end of all forms of coordination with the
occupation state, including security, civil and economic coordination,
with the exception of humanitarian cases.

Third, we call on the Palestinian government to suspend the local
municipality council elections and direct all efforts toward support of
the strike. Considering that we are facing calls to mobilize all of our
energies in the service of the goal of victory, we call upon the heads
of electoral blocs to an expanded meeting tomorrow to discuss this
decision and ensure a means of implementation that achieves its purpose.

Fourth, we call on the brave workers of Palestine, who experience the
conditions of life that are part of our condition under occupation, to
cease working within the occupation state and the settlements.

Fifth, we call for mobilization in city centers and from the sit-in
tents to the headquarters of the International Committee of the Red
Cross, on Monday, 8 May 2017.

Sixth, We call for a sit-in in front of the headquarters of the United
Nations inside the state of Palestine and other international bodies on
Tuesday, 9 May 2017.

Seventh, we demand a full and absolute boycott of Israeli goods,
preventing them from entering their markets with a direct response to
their entry. We call on young people and the masses to implement this
resolution with the destruction of such goods beginning on Wednesday, 10
May 2017, as a final deadline to empty the shelves of shops and stores
of these toxins.

Eighth, we call for a general commercial strike on Thursday, 11 May 2017
until 12:00, after which to be launched marches of anger directed to
points of confrontation with the occupation.

Eternal glory to the martyrs
Freedom for the prisoners of freedom
Shame on those who have failed to perform their national duty