[Pnews] Palestinian political prisoner Marwan Barghouthi - Israel cannot silence us, nor isolate us, nor break us

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 5 12:21:46 EDT 2017

  Barghouthi: 'Israel cannot silence us, nor isolate us, nor break us'

May 5, 2017 - http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=776858
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- In a letter obtained by the office of the Palestine
Liberation Organization (PLO) Secretary-General on Wednesday, the 17th
day of the “Freedom and Dignity” mass hunger strike, Marwan Barghouthi,
the Fatah leader organizing and leading the strike, wrote of the
conditions he and other prisoners have been facing as the strike entered
its third week.

“Israel has decided to respond through incitement, solitary confinement
of hunger strikers and repression, with the illusion that this will make
us abandon our sacred struggle and our legitimate demands,” Barghouthi
said, referring to a series of punitive measures
<http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=776550> that the Israeli Prison
Service (IPS) has carried out against prisoners since day one of the
strike.

Barghouthi, who organized the strike that launched on April 17
<http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=776469>, Palestinian Prisoner’s
Day, told readers of the letter that he was writing from solitary
confinement on behalf of some 1,600 prisoners partaking in the strike.
“Israel cannot silence us, nor isolate us, nor break us,” Barghouthi
said, highlighting the effects of Israel’s daily detention raids on
Palestinian communities and families, adding that mass incarceration of
Palestinians was a tactic “to exhaust and intimidate our people and
destroy its ability to struggle against the occupation.”

“This occupation has violated our cities, villages, refugee camps, holy
places and Jerusalem, and it arrests dozens of Palestinians daily and
subjects them to torture and ill treatment, including during
interrogation, and falsely accuses them and adopts arbitrary decisions
against them through their legitimate courts, civilian and military, and
conducts policies and actions that constitute grave breaches under
international law and crimes for which those responsible must be held
accountable.”

Barghouthi went on to call for unity among Palestinian factions, saying
that the Palestinian people, if united, are “capable of creating
miracles.” He also said that the cause of Palestine and “the rights of
our people,” were “the most noble and just cause of our time.”

“We are confident that the loyalty of the prisoners to their people and
their country will be met with loyalty and that this battle is part and
parcel of the battle of our people for freedom and dignity. We shall
meet soon, in freedom,” the letter concluded.

Initially called for by Barghouthi and other Fatah-affiliated prisoners,
Palestinian prisoners from across the political spectrum have since
joined the strike. <http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=776493>

The hunger strikers have denounced the torture, ill treatment, and
medical neglect of Palestinian prisoners at the hands of Israeli
authorities, as well as Israel’s widespread use of administrative
detention -- internment without trial or charges -- which is only
permitted under international law in extremely limited circumstances.

Israeli authorities have detained approximately one million Palestinians
<http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=776443> since the establishment
of the state of Israel in 1948 and the subsequent occupation of the West
Bank, East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip in 1967, according to a joint
statement released on Saturday by Palestinian organizations.

According to prisoners' rights organization Addameer, some 6,300
Palestinians were held in Israeli custody as of March.