[Pnews] Ramona Africa Talks MOVE, Liberation and Surviving 1985 Bombing

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 24 11:57:49 EDT 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Ramona-Africa-Talks-MOVE-Liberation-and-Surviving-1985-Bombing-20170320-0025.html

  Ramona Africa Talks MOVE, Liberation and Surviving 1985 Bombing

20 March 2017 - By: Lamont Lilly

The U.S. freedom fighter discusses the history of MOVE and what it means
to fight for liberation in part one of an exclusive interview.

Former U.S. political prisoner, Ramona Africa, is the Minister of
Communication for the MOVE Organization and a Philadelphia-based
organizer with the International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia
Abu-Jamal. She is also the only living survivor of the 1985 MOVE
bombing, when the FBI and Philadelphia police dropped two C-4 bombs on
her organization’s Philadelphia home, killing 11 people.

*Lamont Lilly: Ramona, for those who may be unfamiliar, what is the MOVE
Organization? Who founded MOVE, and what is the organization about? *

*Ramona Africa*: The MOVE Organization is a revolutionary organization
founded by a Black man named John Africa
<http://ultraculture.org/blog/2013/05/06/john-africa-move-organization/>.
He brought people together from all different backgrounds,
nationalities, religions, etc., and gave us one common revolutionary
belief. That belief is in the sanctity, and all importance of life, on
all levels, without exception. And it is that uncompromising belief
commitment to life that has put us in direct conflict with the system
that we’re living under, a system that doesn’t care anything about life
— whether it’s the air, the water, the soil that feeds us, they don’t
care. But as members of MOVE, we are committed to life.

We were animal rights activists long before that term was ever invented.
We were environmentalists before that term was ever invented. Everything
that John Africa taught us has come full circle.

John Africa had even coordinated a raw food diet for us. He put us in
touch with what our natural diet is. People said we were crazy, that we
were going to get sick and make our children sick. “You can’t eat raw
food like that. You have to cook it,” they would say. Now, what do we
see, some 45 years later? You see raw food restaurants, from the West
coast to the East coast. You see nutritionists now teaching the benefits
of raw food
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestreptalks/2016/11/17/a-first-time-entrepreneur-at-56-sequoia-cheney-sold-a-stake-in-her-raw-food-snack-line-for-2m/#104d63914fd3.>.

John Africa even encouraged MOVE women to have babies naturally, at
home. He would tell us, “When you’re pregnant, you’re not sick. You
don’t need a hospital to do something as natural as giving birth.” No
other species of life goes to a hospital to have a baby.

Another thing, in terms of composting, there’s a new movement going on
around this now. Well, MOVE was composting 45 years ago. But when we
composted, people went crazy. But today, they put a cute little word on
it called "composting
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/composting-efforts-gain-traction-across-the-united-states/2013/02/03/645a7024-670c-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html?utm_term=.f5a1e5008d3e>"
and all of a sudden, it’s the "green" thing to do. We were also
homeschooling, 45 years ago.

*Lamont Lilly: When exactly did you become a member of MOVE? What period
of life was this for you? How did joining MOVE change your life?*

*Ramona Africa*: (Laughing) Oh wow, Lamont! That’s a story within
itself. I went to catholic school during my high school years. I had
begged my mother to transfer me to a public school, but she wouldn’t do
it because she wanted me to have what she perceived as a “good
education.” She was also in my ear telling me to be a doctor, be a
lawyer, be anything you want to be. So I went with that and decided to
focus on the legal system. When I graduated from West Catholic High, I
ended up going to Temple University and took up a pre-law curriculum.

It was in my last semester at Temple that I started a work-study program
because I needed the money to pay for school. I got hired at community
legal services, a free legal aid agency. They assigned me to the housing
unit. You can’t work in the Philadelphia housing unit without being an
advocate for the poor. That’s when I first started getting active in the
community. That period marked my first arrest at the Philadelphia City
Council. I eventually had to go to court for that arrest and met a
brother named Mel, there. We exchanged numbers, and he would call me and
tell me things that were going on. He called me one day and asked if I
wanted to go to a meeting to plan a MOVE demonstration.

I lived in West Philadelphia all my life. I had heard about MOVE, but I
didn’t really know about MOVE. So I went to the meeting with him. We
were supposed to go out that night after the meeting, but I got so
wrapped up in the meeting, I wouldn’t go anywhere (laughing). I was
really impressed.

The second time I was arrested, the sentencing judge gave me 60 days in
the county jail, the “house of corrections.” But you know what, I tell
everybody, I owe her a million thanks because she sent me to the county
jail for two months, up close and personal with MOVE women. That was the
best thing she could have ever done for me. When I walked out, there was
no turning back. I wanted to be like MOVE women and became a member in 1979.

*Lamont Lilly: It sounds like MOVE really provided a new sense of
wholeness and purpose for you.*

*Ramona Africa*: Yes, for me, but my mother had some issues. She was a
beautician by trade, and obviously the first thing that struck her was
my hair. She had a problem with my hair because, from the time I was
knee-high, she would “do my hair” by washing it, pressing it,
straightening it and curling it. So, when I let my hair grow and lock on
its own, oh my goodness — (laughing) she wasn’t too happy about that.

This was after the Black Power Movement
<http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03/20/11-little-known-facts-everyone-should-know-about-the-black-power-movement/>
and long before the current period of being Black and unapologetic. A
lot of sisters are rocking “naturals” now, but that wasn’t the case in
1979. She also took issue with me not going to law school. I didn’t even
go to my graduation at Temple University when I finished undergrad.

*Lamont Lilly: You mentioned ‘the system’ earlier and what it had done,
can you take us back to May 13, 1985? What happened that day?*

*Ramona Africa*: The first thing that people should be aware of, is that
the bombing took place on Monday, May 13, but the cops came out in mass,
surrounding our home on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12. They laid siege on
our home, supposedly because neighbors were complaining about us. What
MOVE was saying was that we weren’t denying that some neighbors had
complaints about us, but name one community in this entire country where
some neighbor doesn’t complain about the other.

Not only that, when has this government ever cared about Black folks
complaining about their neighbors? When did that start? Anyone who
believes that is foolish. Obviously, the U.S. government does not care
about Black folks complaining, about their neighbors, or anything else
for that matter. So that “complaining” excuse was just a lie.

They came out there to kill MOVE — to silence our righteous protests,
our unrelenting fight concerning the unjust imprisonment of our family
members, the MOVE 9
<http://blackhistorymonth2014.com/338/siege-on-move-1978/#> (who were
arrested on the false charge of killing a cop on August 8, 1978). That’s
why they came out.

They started just like they did in August of ‘78, with the fire
department (who take an oath to run into burning buildings and save
lives). But in May of 1985, they worked with the cops to kill off life,
to kill off the MOVE organization. Firefighters turned the water hoses
against us — each hose pumping out 10,000 pounds of water pressure per
minute. They had four of those hoses so that’s 40,000 pounds of water
pressure per minute. This water was being pumped out for hours, but
there was no fire.

When that didn’t drive us out, they breached 3-inch holes in the
connecting walls of our house. They wanted to blow holes into the walls
to insert tear gas, at least that’s what they said. When they finished
exploding what they “claimed” was supposed to be 3-inch holes in the
wall — the whole front of our house was blown away. So, when they
started inserting tear gas, a lot of it was just coming right back out.
That’s when they opened fire on us, and according to them, shot 10,000
rounds of bullets in the first 90 minutes. They had to send to their
arsenal for more ammunition.

We were all in the basement. We heard this loud noise that shook the
whole house. We were in the basement, but there was still a lot of tear
gas in the house that had not found its way out yet, and it started
getting a little warmer in there.

As the smoke and gas got thicker, we were like “wait a minute, this is
something else.” We were listening and could hear the tree in the back
of our house crackling as if it were on fire. That’s when we realized
that our house was actually on fire. We immediately tried to get our
children, our animals and ourselves out of that blazing inferno. But at
the point when we were trying to come out, and could be seen trying to
come out, the cops opened fire on us, forcing us back in.

We tried several times to get out, but each time we were shot back into
the house. This was a clear indication that they didn’t intend for any
of us to survive that attack. But finally, like the third time, we knew
that we would either choke to death and be burned alive, or were going
to be shot to death. So, we made one more attempt at it, to get out. I
was closest and got outside the door. I got Birdie out. Everybody was
lined up to come out after us.

It was not until they took me into custody and to the local hospital,
that I was looking for the rest of my family, but nobody came in. I’m in
the hospital and wondering what was going on. I didn’t find out until I
left the hospital and was taken to the police administration building
(to the homicide unit). Only then, did I find out that there were no
other survivors other than me and my young brother, Birdie Africa
<http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140612_Coroner__Birdie_Africa_drowned_due_to_alcohol_intoxication.html>.

The police were contemplating charging me with the murder of my family.

They charged me with everything they did: possession of explosives,
arson, causing a catastrophe, attempted murder, simple and aggravated
assault. But the charges and warrant they came at me with were all
dismissed when I was able to challenge them in the pretrial. They
eventually dropped those charges. Oh, and I forgot. They also threw in
“terroristic threats,” which was ridiculous.

*Lamont Lilly: So let me get this clear, after all that, you were
charged with attempted murder and arson? *

*Ramona Africa*: Yep. Yes, I was. And that was another eye-opener for me
because when all the charges and the warrants that they came at me with
were dismissed, it seems like anything that came from these bogus
warrants would have to be dropped as well. If their reasons for being
out there were invalid, then how could anything that was a result of
their presence be valid? But they were never going to drop all the
charges on me.

*Lamont Lilly: Did you serve time for any of those charges?*

*Ramona Africa*: Yes, I did. First of all, I had a US$4.5 million bail.
US$4.5 million! I was in jail from May 1, 1985, up until May 13, 1992,
because I was convicted of “rioting,” if you can believe that. I was
sentenced to 16 months and 7 years. When my 16-month minimum was up, I
was told by the parole board that they would parole me, but only if I
agreed to sever all ties with MOVE. Sever ALL ties! And I wasn’t about
to do that. Instead of being released at 16 months, I did the whole 7
years
<http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/14/us/philadelphia-bombing-survivor-leaves-prison.html>.

*Lamont Lilly: Eleven people were murdered May 13, 1985. How many
children died in that bombing?*

*Ramona Africa*: Five children and six adults! And not one single
official, on any level, was ever held accountable, ever charged with a
single crime against MOVE. But yet, you have the MOVE 9 being called
murderers and being imprisoned for 38 years, working on 39 years now.
Meanwhile, the people that murdered 11 of my family members, publicly on
May 13 of 1985, not one of them was ever held accountable.

*Lamont Lilly: As a new generation
<http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/32225-a-bold-and-brilliant-new-moment-in-the-struggle-for-black-liberation>
accepts the baton of mass resistance, the Black Matters Movement, what
words of advice would you share?*

*Ramona Africa*: The first and most important thing is to never stop.
Don’t ever stop pushing and fighting. Don’t ever give in! Be consistent.
Don’t allow yourselves to be disillusioned. Don’t allow anyone or
anything to buy you off. And don’t allow yourselves to be compromised or
co-opted, because trust me, they will try. You can definitely believe that!

This system will come at you with all kinds of things. All kinds! But if
you fall for it, you’re done. You’re done, and that’s what they bank on.
They bank on people flaring up for an instant and then fizzling out.

One last thing I really want the young people to remember. We do this
work out of love, not hate. Love for life and the people. Long live John
Africa! Long live the revolution! Ona move!

/Lamont Lilly was a U.S. delegate at the International Forum for Justice
in Palestine in Beirut, Lebanon. He is also an activist and organizer in
the Black Lives Matter movement./