[Pnews] Help stop cuts to visits at NY's maximum security prisons

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Mar 18 18:47:27 EDT 2017

As you may know, Governor Cuomo has written into his proposed budget a
severe cutback in visiting for the state’s maximum security prisons. If
this cut goes through, it will make visiting all but impossible for many
families, and have a terrible impact on long-termers and elders in the
state prisons, including the political prisoners. A campaign is underway
to stop the cuts, but we need many more voices to join. The steps to
take are simple: a phone call to the governor and a signature on an
online petition (see below for details). Time is of the essence: we have
heard that many legislative representatives are opposed to these cuts,
but the community needs to make sure they carry through with their
opposition at budget negotiation time.

*We are writing now not just to ask that you call and sign, but more:
*if you have an e-list or access to any list from your personal,
political, or work life, please send out a request for people to take
those simple steps to support our incarcerated community and their
families and friends. We need to reach well beyond the dedicated but
numerically limited groups of people who are actively engaged in work to
transform prisons. I have attached the flyer we have been handing out
(it includes other possible support steps), and below is a sample text
you could use. We need thousands more signatures on the petition if it
is to be at all effective. (And of course please post if you are on
Facebook or other social media.)

Samples short text:

Governor Cuomo plans to cut visiting at New York’s maximum security
prisons. Incarcerated people and their families and friends—and all of
us—stand to lose enormously if we do not prevent the governor from
making these cuts. I ask you to make one phone call to the governor
(518-474-8390) and sign the online petition
(https://www.change.org/p/governor-cuomo-don-t-restrict-visits-in-nys-prisons)
- this will take only a few minutes, and you do not have to be a New
York resident.

Please see the attached flyer for more information. This is a chance to
intervene in support of incarcerated people and families and
communities. We have only a few weeks but we could make a difference.