[Pnews] Important Motion to Suppress Filed by Rasmea Odeh Defense Team

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Mar 18 18:37:55 EDT 2017

    *Important Motion to Suppress Filed by Rasmea Odeh Defense Team*

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=c9ab66a124&e=b7378561ef*

* Friday, March 17, 2017

Michael Deutsch, Jim Fennerty, and the rest of the legal defense team
for Rasmea Odeh are gearing up for trial, *now scheduled for May 30^th
*.  New motions filed this week put the question of Israel and its
torturers front and center, and will be considered at a *hearing on
April 25^th * (moved from April 4^th ).

One motion calls on Judge Gershwin Drain to suppress all evidence
procured through torture.  Citing the Fourth and Fifth Amendments of the
constitution, and international law, including the Convention against
Torture, Deutsch argues that any evidence based on Rasmea’s confession
to the Israelis in 1969—which came as the result of an illegal arrest
and subsequent torture—cannot be allowed a hearing in court.

In a second motion for discovery, Deutsch is asking the prosecutors for
all evidence relating to Rasmea’s arrest and torture, including the
names of her torturers and any “use of force” guidelines the Israelis
used in the late 1960s.  Israel still regularly employs the use of
torture against Palestinians, including children. In court, these
documents will help to prove the *systematic nature of decades of
Israeli torture of Palestinians*, and as it relates to this case.

In Rasmea’s case, her torture was documented by the United Nations
<http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international/208699-why-is-obamas-doj-prosecuting-a-torture-victim>,
and again by psychologist Dr. Mary Fabri, a world-renowned torture
expert, during Fabri’s clinical evaluation and subsequent diagnosis of
Rasmea’s Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  In her written
affidavit to the court, Dr. Fabri recounts the horrific details of
Rasmea’s torture at the hands of the Israelis, including physical
beatings, intentional medical neglect, psychological torture, and sleep
deprivation; being forced to witness the torture of her friends and
family; and, of course, the *sexual assault and violence to which she
was subjected*.

These new motions follow the filing weeks ago of one that takes aim at a
“vindictive” superseding indictment
<http://justice4rasmea.org/news/2017/01/31/defense-team-files-motion-to-dismiss-indictment/>
filed by the U.S. Attorney following the appellate court decision that
reversed Rasmea’s conviction
<http://justice4rasmea.org/news/2016/02/26/Rasmea-Defense-Committee-celebrating-today-planning-next-steps/>.
The new indictment accuses Rasmea of “terrorism” by alleging she was a
member of a Palestinian political party on the U.S. State Department’s
list of designated foreign terrorist organizations. *The most important
question Judge Drain will consider at the upcoming hearing is whether to
allow the new indictment at all*, which is being challenged by the
defense on a number of legal fronts, including for violating the statute
of limitations.

“If the indictment is thrown out, we know that Rasmea can win this case
at trial,” said Muhammad Sankari of the Rasmea Defense Committee in
Chicago. “If it’s not, Rasmea and her team are ready for a fight. She
survived brutal torture at the hands of the Israelis, and that should
not be used to help the U.S. government persecute her today.”

Judge Drain will rule on all the motions at the next pretrial
hearing—which has been *moved from April 4^th to April 25^th *—or
shortly thereafter.  We are calling on all of Rasmea’s supporters to
meet us on Tuesday, April 25^th , 2017, in front of the U.S. District
Court at 231 W. Lafayette Blvd in downtown Detroit, Michigan, at 1:30 PM
Eastern time, for a rally before the 2:30 PM hearing.  (*A detailed “All
Out for Detroit” email coming soon!*)

We also need you to continue to support #Justice4Rasmea by donating to
the defense <http://www.justice4ramsea.org/donate>, organizing local
educational and fundraising events, and staying in touch by visiting
justice4rasmea.org <http://www.justice4rasmea.org> and/or emailing
*justice4rasmea at uspcn. org* <mailto:justice4rasmea at uspcn.org>.

Rasmea Defense Committee

    Response to New York Post attack

This response to a vicious opinion piece in the /New York Post/ was
submitted on February 28th, but unsurprisingly rejected by the Post.  We
publish it ourselves now.

On Saturday, February 25th, the New York Post published an opinion piece
by Kyle Smith that openly ridicules the idea of women striking on
International Working Women’s Day, March 8th. Smith also attacks our own
Rasmea Odeh, one of the women calling for the day of protest.  As usual,
The Post is in despicable company, as ultra-right-winger and white
supremacist Milo Yiannopoulos has also attacked the protest and vilified
Rasmea.

Smith says that the only thing the authors of the call have is outrage.
Given the month that we’ve had since Trump’s inauguration, yes, we are
outraged.  He and everyone else should be outraged, too.

International Working Women’s Day is recognized throughout the world.
It’s a day that celebrates the women who have struggled for equality and
against oppression. It is appropriate to respond with strikes and
marches to an election of an openly male chauvinist president, one who
has been accused by numerous women of assault, and has publicly admitted
to sexual assault; one who campaigned on a platform that included
overturning the right of a woman to control her own body; and one who
threatens the rights of LGBTQ folks, oppressed nationalities, and
working class women.

The Trump administration has executive orders flying out of the White
House at a dizzying speed. Why must there be a second women’s march?
It’s because every single one of the executive orders that Trump has
signed affects women. The #MuslimBan affects Muslim women. Closing
borders to refugees from war-torn countries affects refugee women.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) rounding up immigrants without
due process affects immigrant women. Therefore, a protest on March 8th
is not only warranted, but absolutely necessary.

The sensationalist headline Smith uses to tear down Rasmea Odeh is
shameful. He writes that Odeh was a “convicted terrorist,” while failing
to disclose that an Israeli military court (which, according to its own
records, as reported by Israeli newspaper Haaretz, "convicts" 99.74% of
Palestinians who come before it) found her “guilty” based on a forced
confession illegally obtained through torture and sexual assault. Smith
doesn’t include that Odeh is a pioneer in the women’s movement, as she
spoke publicly—at the United Nations Committee Against Torture in Geneva
in 1979—about the sexual torture that she experienced and survived.

Furthermore, since Odeh moved to the United States, she has been
integral in helping Arab and Muslim women in her community of Greater
Chicago. In 2013, she received the Outstanding Community Leader Award
from the Chicago Cultural Alliance. She has been a fighter and protector
of women for over 50 years, and slandering her is the work of a
completely anti-Palestinian and misogynistic bigot.

We urge everyone to organize for March 8th; to support Rasmea in her
struggle against repression, as we prepare for an [April 25th] hearing
in Detroit on a defense motion to dismiss the government’s new
indictment against her; and to continue fighting for all the rights that
Trump is trying to take away.  Together we are strong, and our voices
loud and clear. Join actions across the U.S. on International Working
Women’s Day, strike for justice, and demand #Justice4Rasmea!

-- Michela Martinazzi, Committee to Stop FBI Repression, NY
-- Suzanne Adely, U.S. Palestinian Community Network, NY

for the Rasmea Defense Committee
February 28, 2017