[Pnews] Palestinian Basil al-Araj assassinated by Israeli occupation forces after PA imprisonment and months in hiding

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 6 10:30:50 EST 2017

http://samidoun.net/2017/03/basil-al-araj-executed-by-israeli-occupation-forces-after-pa-imprisonment-and-months-in-hiding/

  Basil al-Araj assassinated by Israeli occupation forces after PA
  imprisonment and months in hiding

March 6, 2017

In a pre-dawn raid attacking a home in el-Bireh, Basil al-Araj
<http://samidoun.net/?s=basil+al-araj>, 31, Palestinian youth activist
and writer pursued by Israel for nearly a year, was assassinated by
invading Israeli occupation forces this morning.

Al-Araj, from the village of Walaja near Bethlehem, fought back and
resisted <http://www.maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=895749> the invading
forces for two hours before the attacking occupation soldiers broke into
the home where he was staying and executed him at close range. They then
seized his body and took it to an unknown location.

The attack on the home included rocket fire as well as al-Araj’s
extrajudicial execution in a hail of bullets. Al-Araj’s family home in
al-Walaja had been repeatedly raided
<http://samidoun.net/2016/12/palestinian-youth-activist-basil-al-arajs-home-again-raided-by-israeli-forces-as-16-arrested-overnight-in-west-bank/>
by occupation forces for months.

Al-Araj, a writer and activist involved in a wide array of Palestinian
grassroots struggles for liberation, was among the Palestinian youth
dedicated to reviving the Palestinian national liberation movement. One
of six Palestinian youth
<http://samidoun.net/2016/09/six-palestinian-youth-to-be-released-from-palestinian-authority-prison/>
released from Palestinian Authority prisons after nearly six months of
detention when they launched a hunger strike, Al-Araj and other youth
had been seized in April in what was touted as a victory
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/charlotte-silver/why-mahmoud-abbas-boasting-jailing-palestines-youth>
for security coordination between the PA and Israel. While they were
imprisoned by the PA, they were subject to torture and ill-treatment
<http://www.addameer.org/news/five-palestinians-detained-and-tortured-palestinian-security-forces> by
PA security forces.

After their hunger strike
<http://samidoun.net/2016/08/take-action-demand-freedom-for-6-palestinian-prisoners-in-palestinian-authority-jails-on-hunger-strike/>
and widespread attention to their case,including protests
<https://english.alwatanvoice.com/content/print/966018.html>after
reports of their torture
<http://www.addameer.org/news/five-palestinians-detained-and-tortured-palestinian-security-forces>,
secured their release, four of the youth
<http://samidoun.net/2016/10/seif-al-idrissi-former-prisoners-among-palestinians-seized-by-occupation-forces/>
– Mohammed al-Salameen, Seif al-Idrissi, Haitham Siyaj, and Mohammed
Harb – have been seized by Israeli occupation forces. All four have been
ordered to administrative detention, imprisonment without charge or trial.

The extrajudicial execution of Basil al-Araj is yet another example of
the ongoing use of “arrest raids” as assassination raids
<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/12/palestinians-killed-israeli-arrest-raids-201312196149950434.html>
against Palestinian strugglers, including the killing of Abdullah
Shalaldeh
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/12/palestinian-shot-dead-in-israeli-undercover-raid-on-west-bank-hospital>
in the hospital and the murder of former prisoner and struggler Muataz
Washaha
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/shahd-abusalama/muataz-washaha-murdered-israel-peace-talks-continue>.
It also highlights once again the devastating and deadly reality of
“security coordination” between the Israeli occupation and the
Palestinian Authority for Palestinians struggling for their liberation,
pursued and imprisoned through this coordination up to the point of
their execution.

*Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network salutes and remembers
Basil al-Araj, who struggled all his life for Palestine and its people,
committed to a radical vision of justice and liberation, and determined
to take up the struggle by all means to secure that freedom against the
occupation. We demand real justice for Basil al-Araj, the prosecution
and accountability of all those responsible for his execution, and the
immediate release of his body, as well as his imprisoned comrades and
all 7,000 Palestinian prisoners of freedom in the jails of the occupation.*

*We once again demand an end to the policies of security coordination
that further threaten Palestinian life and freedom at the behest of the
occupation.  We know that the vision and the dream of Basil al-Araj can
only be fulfilled with the liberation of Palestine from occupation,
oppression, racism, Zionism, apartheid and settler-colonialism and we
pledge to intensify our work and struggle to make that vision a reality. *