[Pnews] Opening Guantanamo to the World

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 28 11:10:39 EDT 2017

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/28/opening-gitmo-to-the-world/

  Opening Gitmo to the World

by Robert Koehler <https://www.counterpunch.org/author/robert-koehler/>
- July 28, 2017

To read /Witnesses of the Unseen: Seven Years in Guantanamo/
<https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1503601153/counterpunchmaga> is
to run your mind along the contours of hell.

The next step, if you’re an American, is to embrace it. Claim it. This
is who we are: We are the proprietors of a cluster of human cages and a
Kafkaesque maze of legal insanity. This torture center is still open.
Men (“forever prisoners”) are still being held there, their imprisonment
purporting to keep us safe.

The book <http://witnessesbook.com/>, by Lakhdar Boumediene and Mustafa
Ait Idir — two Algerian men arrested in Bosnia in 2011 and wrongly
accused of being terrorists — allows us to imagine /ourselves/ at
Guantanamo, this outpost of the Endless War.

“‘Take him outside,’ the interrogator told them. They led me up a flight
of eight or nine concrete steps to a long gravel drive. It was pitch
black out, and completely quiet. There was no one around. One of the
soldiers grabbed my left arm, and another took my right. And then they
started running.

“I tried to keep up, but my legs were shackled together. First, my
flip-flops fell off, and after a few barefoot strides, my legs fell out
from under me. The soldiers didn’t even slow down. They kept a firm grip
on my arms while my legs bounced and scraped along the ground, gravel
biting into them. When the run finally ended, the soldiers brought me
back to the interrogation room, bloody and bedraggled.”

This is one fragment, one story of the seven years these two innocent
men endured: these two fathers who were pulled away from their wives and
children, yanked from their lives, stuffed into cages, interrogated
endlessly and pointlessly, humiliated, force-fed (in Lakhdar’s case) . .
. and finally, finally, ordered by a U.S. judge to be freed, when their
case, Boumediene v. Bush, was at long last heard in a real court and the
lack of evidence against them became appallingly clear.

The book is the story of the courage it takes to survive.

And it’s a story that can only be told because of the work of the Boston
legal firm WilmerHale, which spent more than 17,000 pro bono hours
litigating the case, “work that would have cost paying clients more than
$35 million.”

Lakhdar and Mustafa were freed in 2008 and began rebuilding their lives.
They eventually decided they wanted to tell their story — to an American
audience. Daniel Norland, who was a lawyer at WilmerHale when the case
was making its way through the court process (but was not part of the
litigation team) and his sister, Kathleen List, who speaks fluent
Arabic, conducted more than 100 hours of interviews with the two men,
which were shaped into /Witnesses of the Unseen/.

In October 2011, the two men, who were living and working in Sarajevo,
were among six Algerians who wound up being arrested by Bosnian
authorities and charged with plotting to blow up the American embassy in
Sarajevo. They were held for three months, then released. There was no
evidence to back up the accusation.

But this turns out to be the beginning of their story, not the end of
it. The men were released not back to their own lives but to an
authority more powerful than the Bosnian judicial system: They were
released to the Americans, who had begun rounding up Muslims . . . uh,
terrorists. Evidence, or lack thereof, didn’t matter. These men were
shipped to a new military prison, built at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base
in Cuba — an offshore prison, in other words, unencumbered by the U.S.
Constitution. The detainees there allegedly had zero rights. That was
the whole point.

Much of what Lakhdar and Mustafa describe is the efficiency of the U.S.
military in dehumanizing its prisoners. The beatings and physical pain
inflicted by guards, interrogators and even medical personnel were only
part of it. The men also endured sexual humiliation, endless mocking of
their religion — “I heard . . . that a soldier went into someone’s cell
and flushed his Qur’an down the toilet” — and the cruel, teasing
“misplacement” or censorship of letters from the prisoners’ loved ones.

Several years into his imprisonment, Lakhdar went on a hunger strike,
which meant he was subjected to force-feeding, which the U.N. Human
Rights Commission has called a form of torture:

“The soldier brought out an apparatus with a long yellow tube and
started measuring out the length of tube he needed. He stopped when he
got to a marking somewhere between 45 and 50 inches. That was the amount
of tube he was going to insert through my nostril. . . .

“It’s almost impossible to explain what a feeding tube feels like to
someone who hasn’t experienced it. I felt like I was choking, and being
strangled, and yet somehow still able to breathe, all at the same time.

“The soldier taped the tube in place. I could see the Ensure trickling
through the tube, one droplet at a time. It felt cold as it reached my
stomach. I later learned that a full feeding normally takes fifteen to
twenty minutes, but that first time they went exceptionally slowly. I
sat in the clinic, chained to the chair, a tube protruding down my
throat, for the rest of the afternoon and all through the night.”

It took no less than a Supreme Court ruling to start ending this nightmare.

In early 2007, a U.S. Circuit Court judge had refused to hear Boumediene
v. Bush on the grounds that Guantanamo prisoners had no Constitutional
rights. But the Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal, and in June 2008
ruled that Guantanamo counted as part of the U.S. and, as Justice
Anthony Kennedy wrote, the government couldn’t “switch the Constitution
on and off at will.”

Thus the case went back to the Circuit Court and a real hearing got
underway, leading to one of the most appalling revelations in the book:
“Our lawyers had told us, in the days leading up to our trial, about a
recent bizarre development in our case: the government had dropped its
allegation that we had plotted to blow up the U.S. Embassy in Sarajevo.
Just like in Bosnia seven years before, authorities were eager to toss
around bomb-plot allegations right up until a court required them to
provide evidence.

“Instead, our lawyers told us, the government now said that the reason
it considered us ‘enemy combatants’ was that it had evidence —
classified evidence that I wasn’t allowed to see — that we had made a
plan to fly to Afghanistan and join Al Qaeda’s fight against American
forces there. This was the first time I had ever heard this allegation.
No one — no police officer, no Bosnian official, no American
interrogator — had ever asked me a single question about it.

“And it was a ludicrous allegation. . . .”

And the judge ruled in their favor and they eventually were set free, to
reclaim their lives, to see their children for the first time in seven
years — and to give their story to the world.

But as long as Gitmo remains open and the Endless War continues — and no
one is held accountable — there is no ending to this story, just an open
wound.

/*Robert Koehler* is a Chicago award-winning journalist and editor./