[Pnews] Leonard Peltier’s Spiritual Leader Len Foster: “Obama Missed an Opportunity for Reconciliation”

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 19 11:48:12 EST 2017

http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/leonard-peltiers-spiritual-leader-len-foster-obama-missed-opportunity-reconciliation/

  Leonard Peltier’s Spiritual Leader Len Foster: “Obama Missed an
  Opportunity for Reconciliation”

by Levi Rickert

/Published January 19, 2017/

*WASHINGTON* – Len Foster (Diné), the longtime spiritual leader of
Leonard Peltier, says President Barack Obama missed an opportunity for
reconciliation with Native Americans when he refused to grant the
Petition for Clemency for Peltier, who has been in prison for over 40 years.

Earlier on Tuesday, Peltier’s name appeared on the January 18 list of
commutations denied by Obama as issued by the Office of the Pardon
Attorney. Peltier’s attorney Martin Garbus was also notified.  (Pardon
Attorney’s Letter
<https://sable.godaddy.com/c/25590?id=410080.1205.1.fec17f7225232930aed3d0051ae9d104>)

“I really thought Obama ‘got it’ when it comes to Native Americans. I
thought he saw the need for some healing to take place for Native
Americans with this country. I think he missed an opportunity for
reconciliation to take place,” Foster told Native News Online on Tuesday
evening. “I am very sad. Leonard Peltier does not deserve to die in
prison. It serves no purpose at this point.”

                /Earlier Tuesday, Peltier said in an email:  “If I
                should not [receive clemency] then after we are locked
                in for the day I will have a good cry and then pick
                myself up and get myself ready for another round of
                battles until I cannot fight [any] more. So, don’t
                worry. I can handle anything after over 40 years.”/

The International Leonard Peltier Defense Committee said in a release
after the announcement:

It’s hard to bear such a blow, though. And make no mistake — Leonard has
been hit hardest of all. But let’s not mourn so very long. Instead,
let’s move ever forward. Channel your grief and anger in a positive way.
Remember that Leonard still needs our help. He needs quality health care
and a transfer to a medium security facility, among other things. We’ll
always work towards freedom for Leonard, but these actions may help to
make his life more bearable until freedom is won.

Now, we urge you to write to Leonard and help to keep his spirits up.
Tell him you won’t give up, that you’ll walk the rest of the way with
him. Send cards and letters to:

Leonard Peltier #89637-132
USP Coleman I
PO Box 1033
Coleman, Florida 33521

        About The Author

Levi Rickert, a tribal citizen of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation, is
the publisher and editor of Native News Online. Previously, he served as
editor of the Native News Network. He is a resident of Grand Rapids,
Michigan.