[Pnews] Oscar Lopez’s Daughter Thanks Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 19 11:16:09 EST 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Oscar-Lopezs-Daughter-Thanks-Cuba-Nicaragua-Venezuela-20170119-0006.html

  Oscar Lopez’s Daughter Thanks Cuba, Nicaragua, Venezuela

January 19, 2017

On Wednesday the daughter of recently freed Puerto Rican independence
activist Oscar Lopez Rivera, one of the longest-serving political
prisoners in the U.S., publicly thanked the governments of Cuba,
Venezuela, and Nicaragua for their steadfast support and solidarity
during the decades-long international campaign
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/multimedia/The-Fight-to-Free-Oscar-Lopez-Rivera-20170117-0040.html>
for his release.

"Today we celebrate the victory of the Puerto Rican people. My deepest
thanks to the governments of Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua," said
Clarisa Lopez Ramos, daughter of Lopez Rivera, to sharp applause during
a press conference in the Puerto Rican capital of San Juan.

Speaking publicly for the first time since President Obama's
announcement Tuesday of the commutation of her father’s sentence, ending
Lopez Rivera’s 35-year imprisonment for political crimes as part of the
Puerto Rican independence struggle, Lopez Ramos was surrounded by
longtime supporters.

"My father always wished I would receive his freedom like a birthday
present," added Lopez Ramos, who celebrated her 46th birthday on
Wednesday. "Today, I celebrate life and justice, and the best birthday
present: my dear old dad will finally come home."

Speaking to reporters just before leaving for Chicago to meet her father
this weekend, Lopez Ramos added, "the past hours have been the happiest
of my life. I’m the luckiest daughter in the world because I have the
most wonderful, loving, sensible father who taught me how to resist and
struggle."

Lopez Rivera will be officially released on May 17 of this year, and his
daughter said that after a few days in Chicago visiting friends and
family in the city where he spent years as a community activist, he will
come to live with her in San Juan.

During the press conference, San Juan mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz Soto
reiterated her decision to offer Lopez Rivera a job with the
municipality upon his return, saying "he will make his living by
working," and noting Lopez Rivera’s years of community work in Chicago.

She also announced that this coming Monday, Jan. 23, would be declared a
municipal holiday in celebration of Tuesday’s announcement, noting that
everyone in the city has called for his release regardless of party
affiliation or ideology.

This last point was further emphasized by right-wing Puerto Rican
governor Ricardo Rosselló Nevares’ tweet on Wednesday evening thanking
President Obama "for having listened to the cries of all Puerto Ricans
and pardoning Oscar Lopez."