[Pnews] Is Marxism Relevant? Some Uses and Misuses – by political prisoner David Gilbert

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 16 17:27:02 EST 2017

https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/>

https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-part-2-revolutionary-vision/
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-part-2-revolutionary-vision/>

  Is Marxism Relevant? Some Uses and Misuses – by David Gilbert,
  political prisoner

January 16, 2017
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/>

by *David Gilbert*

(1/16/2017)

/“Imperialism is piracy […] reorganized, consolidated and adapted to the
aim of exploiting the natural and human resources of our peoples.”
“[N]obody has yet made a successful revolution without a revolutionary
theory.”/

– Amilcar Cabral[1]
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/#_edn1>

One of my biggest joys and most valued activities is corresponding with
younger-generation—by now it’s generations—white anti-racist activists.
Most of them identify as anarchist or anti-authoritarian, but knowing my
history, often ask what I think about Marxism. These activists have been
mightily turned off by the examples of Marxist-Leninist (M-L)
organizations in the U.S. which all too often have been characterized by
dogmatism, sectarianism, and heavily top-down internal power dynamics.
Political “debate” frequently devolved into each side plucking competing
quotes from Marx or Lenin or Mao—as though that proved anything. Perhaps
worst of all, many predominantly white and male “Marxists” used the
powerful terminology to insist that fighting white and male supremacy
was “secondary” to the class struggle and that opposing homo- and
transphobia was irrelevant.

Those examples are rightly rejected by radicals rooted in love for and
commitment to oppressed and exploited humanity. But what led many of my
generation to embrace Marxism, in sharp contrast to the above
misdirections, was the reality that most of the exciting revolutions
that were sweeping the third world (what’s now called the Global South)
were led by M-L parties—not Marxism as some musty catechism from 19th
century Europe but rather as a living tradition being applied and
developed by modern third world revolutionaries.

A blanket dismissal of Marxism runs the risk of losing some important
building blocks for analyzing the nature and vulnerabilities of
capitalism. In addition, my experience during more than 50 years in the
struggle has shown that those who were able to sustain activism over the
long and difficult haul often had some foundation in theory and in a
sense of history.

What follows is not an argument for or against Marxism as the defining
framework, and it certainly isn’t an attempt to provide an overall or
in-depth explanation.[ii]
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/#_edn2>
Instead I want to talk about a few broad concepts which I found very
useful and still seem very relevant today. Often these ideas are
markedly different from the more visible versions put forward by various
predominantly white and male Marxists. (For brevity’s sake I’ll refer to
those whom I feel distort the analysis in this way with quotes:
“Marxists.”) Before getting into the heart of this paper, I’ll briefly
review the path that led me to study and then try to apply Marxism.

*Continue Reading*
<https://abolitionjournal.org/is-marxism-relevant-some-uses-and-misuses-by-david-gilbert-political-prisoner/>

David Gilbert 83-A-6158 Wende Correctional Facility 3040 Wende Road
Alden, New York 14004-1187