[Pnews] Update and Letter to the Community from Political Prisoner Jalil Muntaqim

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 16 10:54:50 EST 2017

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=9f8113c21b&e=e9f3d86b9a

*via **New York City Jericho Movement*

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Thank you all for extending your concern for my well being and
supporting our continuing social media blast to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo in
demanding he grants my application to commute this sentence to time served.

While we are happy for Judith Clark, we must realize there is something
inherently disturbing. When we compare our records of accomplishments in
prison and the extent of community support, Gov. Cuomo’s decision
presents questions about racial injustices in the decision-making
processes in New York State.

The New York Times December 4 and 5, 2016 exposé of NYS DOCCS and Board
of Parole’s overt racist practices left little to the imagination about
what can be aptly described as apartheid. Gov. Cuomo proclaimed on
December 6, 2016 that he would order a top-down investigation into
discriminatory and biased practices in both the prison and parole
system. However, his recent clemency decision indicates he is unable to
lead by example.

*The Scourge of Racial Bias in New York State's Prisons
<https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/nyregion/new-york-state-prisons-inmates-racial-bias.html>

For Blacks Facing Parole in New York State, Signs of a Broken System
<https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/04/nyregion/new-york-prisons-inmates-parole-race.html>

Governor Cuomo Orders Investigation of Racial Bias in N.Y. State Prisons
<https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/nyregion/governor-cuomo-orders-investigation-of-racial-bias-in-ny-state-prisons.html>*

Again, I am elated Judith Clark was granted clemency. I knew Judy long
before she became a prisoner. In fact, the last time I saw here was on a
visit in Attica in the late 1970’s. Yet, understandably, the issue is
one of Black political prisoners suffering the government’s relentless
vindictive posture of retaliation for our failure to succumb to white
supremacy. Sundiata Acoli, Veronza Bowers, Dr. Mutulu Shakur, Herman
Bell, Seth Hayes, to name a few, languish in prison because of the
racial policy of the government. Therefore, my observation of Gov.
Cuomo’s clemency decision is based on historical and pragmatic analysis
that must be pointed out as we proceed in the fight for freedom.

In this regard, I’ve asked we increase the social media blast directed
to Gov. Cuomo’s office to two days a month for the next six months. Each
second and fourth Wednesday of the month, we should call, text, email,
tweet and use whatever social media method to ensure he gets the message
of our dissatisfaction with his failure to grant my application to
commute this sentence to time served.

Beyond that, I would like to open a second front to achieve our goals.
Specifically, I am asking all New York City and State activists to
identify a member of the Black and Puerto Rican Legislative Caucus, and
inquire why they have not challenged Gov. Cuomo on his lackluster
approach in tackling the pervasive racially discriminatory practices in
the New York State prison and parole system. These elected official
should not get a pass, and our activist community needs to establish a
direct-action determination in making these representatives know that in
2017 they will be made to step up in response to our struggle for
substantial institutional changes in the overall criminal (in)justice
system in New York State. They each should be told to demand Gov. Cuomo
grant my application in “good faith” if he is serious about ending
racial and biased practices in the prison and parole system — To lead by
example!

It is incumbent on the activist community to step up the work … the New
York Times exposure has provided the irrefutable foundation to make
these demands on these elected officials. We only need to have the
unrelenting audacity to demand the kind of government practices we
believe should govern.

Thank you for your support. I will continue to teach and speak truth to
power from behind the walls, but my freedom, like the rest of Black
political prisoners, depends on the “Power of the People” to rise up and
fight for freedom.

In the Spirit of Nelson Mandela
in Apartheid NYS Prison System

Amandla! Amandla! Amandla!

Jalil A. Muntaqim
Southport, January 11, 2017

Remember: We Are Our Own Liberators!
____________________________
Had an excellent visit with Jalil on Saturday. He sends his love and
revolutionary greetings to all.

He is determined to beat the Tier III charges and to get out of
Southport. He does have Prison Legal Services in Buffalo representing
him on the trumped up Tier III charges.

Southport is nothing as bad as its online reputation. It was exactly
like visiting Majid at Five Points. Also, this was the fastest Jalil was
brought out for a visit since I began visiting him in 2003.

Jalil's spirits are high, as always, and he has some excellent ideas for
future work.

Anne Lamb
NYC Jericho