[Pnews] Support political prisoner Jalil Muntaqim - tweet Wed, January 11

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 9 13:24:53 EST 2017

Jalil Muntaqim has been in the SHU since December 6th for teaching Black
History - a course approved by the administration. He's taught Black
History for almost 2 months, now teaching about the 1960’s, anti-Vietnam
War movement and the Black Panther Party.

Jalil was written up because the authorities didn’t like what he was
teaching, so he was placed in the SHU with 5 charges.

This is part of an ongoing program to censor Jalil, which escalated this
year after he beat charges for writing a letter to an outside
organization and was denied newspapers from the outside.

 From Jalil:

As you know, I have been suffering intense harassment, first messing
with my mail, trying to put me in SHU for writing to I Am We Prison
Advocacy Network, then denying me receipt of The Militant newspaper, now
succeeding by taking comments out of a 1 and a half hour lecture and
cobbling them into a narrative to fit rule violations, removing them
from the original context and intent. Given the recent NY Times
newspaper articles exposing the racist practices of both disciplinary
hearings and parole board decisions, it is apparent the harsh penalty in
this case coincides with the findings of the NY Times articles.

In this regard, it is important that folk know this seemingly
unrelenting harassment is consistent with the NYS Correctional Officers
Association’s alliance with the PBA’s opposition to my release on
parole. With the growing and mounting campaign to persuade Gov. Cuomo to
grant my application to commute the sentence, these entities are
mounting a campaign to thwart any possibility for success at the parole
board. We must vigorously condemn this disciplinary sanction and demand
that it be reversed. But just as importantly, we need to further expose
the racist nature of the disciplinary process and correctional
guards/administrators persistent efforts to prohibit my release on parole.

Jalil would like support and is asking that we get the word out by
focusing on a Twitter Storm this Wednesday January 11th to Governor Cuomo

    TWITTER STORM FOR JALIL MUNTAQIM
    WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2016

In addition to appealing this latest parole denial, Jalil has also
submitted a request to Governor Cuomo for commutation of sentence to
time served.

*Tweet the following message to Governor Cuomo:
@NYGovCuomo

I add my voice to demand: Commutation of sentence for Anthony Jalil
Bottom #77A4283 NOW! #clemency4jalil*

Ask your friends, family, co-workers, church members, classmates or
union members, to support this campaign! United our voices can make
freedom happen!

*If you don’t tweet, call the governor at: 1-518-474-8390
or write the governor at:

The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building