[Pnews] Judy Clark granted early parole hearing

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 3 11:00:18 EST 2017

facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ReturnJudyClarkToOurCommunity/

            Return Judy Clark to Our Community
            <https://www.facebook.com/ReturnJudyClarkToOurCommunity/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf>

December 30, 2016 at 5:10pm
<https://www.facebook.com/ReturnJudyClarkToOurCommunity/posts/1190571674372091>·

Among those who are receiving commutations of their sentences — action
being take separate from the 101 conditional pardons — is Judith Clark,
who was convicted for her role in the 1981 Brinks armored car robbery in
Rockland County. The commutation makes her eligible for parole in the
first quarter of 2017.

Clark, 67, has served more than 35 years of her 75 years to life
sentence. She drove the getaway vehicle in robbery and was later
convicted of murder and robbery.

Cuomo’s office said Clark has made exceptional strides in
self-development while serving her sentence in Westchester County. She
has earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree and has maintained a perfect
disciplinary record.

http://blog.timesunion.com/…/cuomo-pardons-101-new-yorkers…/
<http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/270666/cuomo-pardons-101-new-yorkers-convicted-as-minors/>

*Corporate Media*
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/226798414-story

  Cuomo: "I am not releasing Judith Clark"

January 3, 2017

*NEW YORK (FOX5 NY)* - Judith Clark, 67, the get-away driver in a deadly
Brinks armed car robbery in 1981, has made "tremendous progress" and is
"a different person" after 35 years in prison, said NY Gov. Andrew
Cuomo. Clark has (sic: will) been allowed to go before the parole review
board after Cuomo commuted her sentence.

"I am not releasing her, but I am giving her the opportunity to give her
case. People change in 35 years," Cuomo told FOX 5 NY morning program
'Good Day New York.'

Clark, a former Weather Underground member, has served 35 years of the
75-years-to-life sentence for her role in the $1.6 million robbery at a
mall in suburban Rockland County.

A security guard, Peter Paige, was killed during the heist, and less
than an hour later, two Nyack police officers, Waverly Brown and Sgt.
Edward O'Grady, were killed in an ambush after stopping a truck at a
roadside checkpoint.

Cuomo noted that some of Clark's co-defendants served less time and that
Clark has been a model prisoner.

The commutation will allow Clark to appear before the parole board in
early 2017. Under her previous sentence, she would not have been
eligible for parole consideration until she was 106.

"She should have the right to make that case," said Cuomo.

The Weather Underground was a 1960s group of increasingly violent
anti-war activists. Clark, at the time of her trial, called herself a
freedom fighter, insisted on representing herself and then refused to go
to court, remaining in a cell.

In a 2002 sworn statement, she expressed regret and said she had
rejected her radical beliefs.

The governor's decision has outraged Michael Paige, whose father was
killed in the robbery.

  "For Gov. Cuomo to even think of commuting the sentence of a triple
murderer who murdered police officers and my father -- that, to me, is
the gravest form of injustice to these three men, who were killed
standing their ground and protecting us," Paige said by phone.

*/With the Associated Press/*