[Pnews] Palestine - Ahed is only 16, and no father is prouder of his daughter than me

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 29 11:17:53 EST 2017

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.831873

  Ahed is only 16, and no father is prouder of his daughter than me

Bassem Tamimi Dec 29, 2017

This night too, like all the nights since dozens of soldiers raided our
home in the middle of the night, my wife Nariman, my 16-year-old
daughter Ahed <https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.829893> and Ahed’s
cousin Nur <https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.830151> will spend
behind bars <https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.831838>. Although it
is Ahed’s first arrest, she is no stranger to your prisons. My daughter
has spent her whole life under the heavy shadow of the Israeli prison —
from my lengthy incarcerations throughout her childhood, to the repeated
arrests of her mother, brother and friends, to the covert-overt threat
implied by your soldiers’ ongoing presence in our lives. So her own
arrest was just a matter of time. An inevitable tragedy waiting to happen.

Several months ago, on a trip to South Africa, we screened for an
audience a video documenting the struggle of our village, Nabi Saleh,
against Israel’s forced rule. When the lights came back on, Ahed stood
up to thank the people for their support. When she noticed that some of
the audience members had tears in their eyes, she said to them: “We may
be victims of the Israeli regime
<https://www.haaretz.com/misc/tags/israel-occupation-1.478159>, but we
are just as proud of our choice to fight for our cause, despite the
known cost. We knew where this path would lead us, but our identity, as
a people and as individuals, is planted in the struggle, and draws its
inspiration from there. Beyond the suffering and daily oppression of the
prisoners, the wounded and the killed, we also know the tremendous power
that comes from belonging to a resistance movement; the dedication, the
love, the small sublime moments that come from the choice to shatter the
invisible walls of passivity.

“I don’t want to be perceived as a victim, and I won’t give their
actions the power to define who I am and what I’ll be. I choose to
decide for myself how you will see me. We don’t want you to support us
because of some photogenic tears, but because we chose the struggle and
our struggle is just. This is the only way that we’ll be able to stop
crying one day.”

Months after that event in South Africa, when she challenged the
soldiers, who were armed from head to toe, it wasn’t sudden anger at the
grave wounding of 15-year-old Mohammed Tamimi not long before that, just
meters away, that motivated her. Nor was it the provocation of those
soldiers entering our home. No. These soldiers, or others who are
identical in their action and their role, have been unwanted and
uninvited guests in our home ever since Ahed was born. No. She stood
there before them because this is our way, because freedom isn’t given
as charity, and because despite the heavy price, we are ready to pay it.

My daughter is just 16 years old. In another world, in your world, her
life would look completely different. In our world, Ahed is a
representative of a new generation of our people, of young freedom
fighters. This generation has to wage its struggle on two fronts. On the
one hand, they have the duty, of course, to keep on challenging and
fighting the Israeli colonialism into which they were born, until the
day it collapses. On the other hand, they have to boldly face the
political stagnation and degeneration that has spread among us. They
have to become the living artery that will revive our revolution and
bring it back from the death entailed in a growing culture of passivity
that has arisen from decades of political inactivity.

Ahed is one of many young women who in the coming years will lead the
resistance to Israeli rule. She is not interested in the spotlight
currently being aimed at her due to her arrest, but in genuine change.
She is not the product of one of the old parties or movements, and in
her actions she is sending a message: In order to survive, we must
candidly face our weaknesses and vanquish our fears.

In this situation, the greatest duty of me and my generation is to
support her and to make way; to restrain ourselves and not to try to
corrupt and imprison this young generation in the old culture and
ideologies in which we grew up.

Ahed, no parent in the world yearns to see his daughter spending her
days in a detention cell. However, Ahed, no one could be prouder than I
am of you. You and your generation are courageous enough, at last, to
win. Your actions and courage fill me with awe and bring tears to my
eyes. But in accordance with your request, these are not tears of
sadness or regret, but rather tears of struggle.

/Bassem Tamimi is a Palestinian activist./