[Pnews] The Making of a Movement by Political Prisoner Jalil Muntaqim

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 28 09:54:43 EDT 2017

*The Making of a Movement*
by Jalil A. Muntaqim

I was captured on August 28, 1971, in San Francisco after a car chase
and gun battle with San Francisco police. It was alleged that myself and
co-defendant Albert Nuh Washington were attempting to avenge the
assassination of George L. Jackson, in San Quentin on August 21, 1971. I
was convicted for the S.F. shootout, a federal bank robbery, and in 1975
convicted of killing two police officers in New York that occurred on
May 21, 1971. This conviction was code named NEWKILL by the FBI in a May
26, 1971, meeting at the White House between J. Edgar Hoover,
then-President Richard Nixon, and members of the Watergate plumbers.
Having been a member of the Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation
Army, it was decided in the White House to ensure BPP members are
convicted for NEWKILL. Although I was captured for alleged
revolutionary-military actions, charged and persecuted in criminal
proceedings, the U.S. Corporate Government criminalizes political rebellion.

After my conviction in NYC, I was returned to California to complete the
S.F. conviction and sentence. I was placed in San Quentin Adjustment
Center, locked on the first floor in a cell between Ruchell Cinque Magee
and Charles Manson. The San Quentin Six were locked a few cells away on
the same tier. In 1975, I received a newsletter from Yuri Kochiyama,
representing the New York City chapter of the National Committee in
Defense of Political Prisoners. The newsletter highlighted a call for
the United Nations to consider the existence of the US. political
prisoners. After reading the newsletter, I drafted a proposal for
progressives and activists to assist political prisoners to petition the
United Nations on our behalf to call for a formal investigation into our
existence and the conditions we suffered in prisons across the country.
I showed the draft to Ruchell, who thought it was very good, but
suggested I let Geronimo ji gaga Pratt review it. I had the proposal
smuggled to the second floor of the Adjustment Center where Geronimo was
being held, along with Russell Little and Bill Harris, members of the
S.L.A., for his critique. Geronimo tweaked the proposal and sent it back
for me to rewrite and send to Yuri and NCDPP to implement.

Unfortunately, after several weeks there was no response from Yuri or
NCDPP, so the proposal was abandoned until early 1977. At that time, I
met a white guy in San Quentin nicknamed Commie Mike, and I shared the
proposal with him. He put me in contact with the United Prisons Union, a
prison reform advocacy group in San Francisco. After a meeting with Pat
Singer, a leader of UPU, it was agreed UPU would take on the proposal
and develop what evolved into the National Prisoners Petition Campaign
to the United Nations. Soon thereafter, the Prairie Fire Organizing
Committee joined in support of UPU in building the petition campaign to
the U.N. We were able to obtain former Amnesty International attorney
Kathyrn Burke to assist with the development of the petition to be
presented to the United Nations.

By 1978, the campaign had prisoners in 25 States, including Hawaii,
supporting the petition. The petition was submitted to the U.N.
Subcommission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of
Minorities and recorded as U.N. document E/CN.4/Sub.2/NG0/75. This was
the first time a document concerning the existence of U.S. political
prisoners and racist prison conditions had been filed, recorded and
heard at the U.N. In 1979, evolving from this initiative, an effort was
made to have the International Jurists tour the U.S. and interview
political prisoners. After a number of interviews, the International
Jurists filed a report to the United Nations affirming political
prisoners exist in the United States. Also in 1979, our campaign knew a
journalist in Paris would be attending a news conference by U.S. United
Nations Ambassador Andrew Young. I was asked were there any specific
questions I wanted asked by the journalist, and I said only one, “Do
political prisoners exist in the U.S.?”. Ambassador Young answered
truthfully, stating “... perhaps thousands,” and for his admission,
then-President Jimmy Carter fired Andrew Young from his post. It should
be noted, also as part of the overall campaign, Cuba’s President Fidel
Castro offered to trade U.S. political prisoners with prisoners in Cuba
the U.S. wanted. Unfortunately, because we did not have contacts with
the State Department or knew anyone who was willing and capable of
intervening in our behalf, that trade did not happen.

Many years later, the Provisional Government of the Republic of New
Afrika organized annual marches around the White House, demonstrating
and calling for the release of U.S. political prisoners. In 1995, the
PG-RNA, for lack of funding and participation, stopped the Jericho
marches, which I thought should continue. So, in 1996, I distributed a
call for action to reestablish the Jericho marches. Comrades Safiya Asya
Bukhari and Herman Ferguson came to visit, decrying they were unable to
organize a national Jericho march in a year’s time. In our meeting in
the visiting room at Eastern Correctional Facility in NYS, we agreed
that a concerted effort would be made to organize the Jericho March for
1998.

Sista Safiya and Baba Herman’s organizing ability was incomparable,
initiating the campaign by establishing an organizing committee, a P.O.
Box address for communications, and a non-profit tax status to raise
funds. They then issued a call for progressives in the left, especially
those supporting political prisoners across the country, to join in the
organizing initiative. Both Safiya and Herman criss-crossed the country,
meeting with activists, explaining the importance of the march and
demonstration, letting activists know we have a collective
responsibility to support our captured and confined warriors and demand
their release/amnesty. Within 2 years, their indomitable spirit and
revolutionary determination successfully brought 6,000 activists from
across the country to Washington, D.C. for the Jericho March and rally.

After the march and rally, it was decided the momentum from the effort
should continue, and the Jericho Amnesty Movement was born. The Jericho
Amnesty Movement is charged with the responsibility of supporting and
representing the interest of U.S. political prisoners; calling for their
release, especially those known to have COINTELPRO convictions. There
have been continued initiatives to raise the profile of U.S. political
prisoners at the United Nations. In 2016, Jihad Abdulmumit, the current
Chairperson of Jericho, made a presentation in Geneva, Switzerland on
behalf of U.S. political prisoners. Jihad was a member of the Black
Panther Party and BLA and a former political prisoner; he understands
this struggle to forge a determination to free U.S. political prisoners.

In 2018, the Jericho Amnesty Movement will reach a milestone of 20 years
of actively fighting on behalf of U.S. political prisoners. In these
nearly twenty years, Jericho has established a medical committee to
assist political prisoners in their health needs; a legal defense
committee to assist political prisoners in their legal defenses and
challenges; assist families of political prisoners to visit, and
continue to fight for their release.

When we consider many of those who were COINTELPRO targets are still in
prison, we can agree that Jericho is an important formation bridging the
generations from the struggle of the 60’s and 70’s to the millennials.
Obviously, for any movement to be sustained, grow and evolve, activists
must support their political prisoners. The Black Panther Party was
instrumental in developing community organizing and political objectives
to be achieved. The Party made people understand the process of fighting
the status quo to empower the community. For example, in 1967 the Party
started armed patrols of the police, carrying weapons and law books,
demanding cops follow the constitution and laws on stop and frisk
procedures. This type of public display of challenging police procedures
encouraged folks on the streets to recognize the police weren’t all
powerful or omnipotent. This was the primary reason the FBI COINTELPRO
launched over 300 attacks against the BPP. In fact, the FBI employed
every tactic used to destabilize a country in order to destroy the Black
Panther Party. This includes illegal surveillance, infiltration,
provocateurs, burglarizing offices and homes, stops and frisks, illegal
arrests, poison pen letters, misinformation in the media, snitch
jacketing, and assassinations. Indeed, on March 9, 1968, J. Edgar
Hoover, the Director of the F.B.I., issued a COINTELPRO memorandum that
stated in part:

“The /Negro youth/ and /moderate/ must be made to understand that if
they /succumb to revolutionary teaching/, they /will be dead
revolutionaries/.”

It must be understood that the FBI COINTELPRO did not begin with the
U.S. Corporate Government’s efforts to destroy the Black Panther Party,
and “...to prevent the rise of a Black Messiah”. However, the FBI
COINTELPRO illegal, unconstitutional activities from 1967 to 1970
resulted in the death of approximately 33 Panthers.

Despite the attacks on the BPP, the youth flocked to the Party,
especially after 1967 when Bobby Seale and twenty-six armed Panthers
entered the California legislature protesting hearings on gun control.
This action captured the imagination of young Black youths across the
country that the fight for revolution was here. The subsequent passing
of the Milford Act made it illegal for Panthers to publicly carry
weapons while patrolling the police. Also in 1968, membership increased
when the Party established its “Serve the People” programs, initiating
the free breakfast program for children. In 1969, the first BPP Free
Breakfast for Children Program was started at St. Augustine’s Church in
Oakland; and the Party was distributing and selling 100,000 copies of
its newspaper, “The Black Panther” weekly. By 1968, the BPP had
established thirty-eight branches and chapters with five thousand
members. It was the indomitable spirit of these thousands of young
people dedicating themselves to the Party and continuing the struggle
for freedom and equality that began from the time when New Afrikans were
brought to this country as slaves. Hence, when Willie Ricks and Stokely
Carmichael proclaimed our struggle was for “Black Power,” it ignited a
political cataclysmic storm of youthful energy for freedom. However, the
Black Panther Party Ten Point Platform and Program manifested that
declaration in the pragmatic development of programs on behalf of our
people. It is this legacy of resistance and fight-back that Jericho
incorporates, as lessons learned from the BPP.

I was one of those thousands of young people who, at 16 years of age,
first signed up to become a Panther; at 18 years old I was recruited
into the Black underground. A little more than a month before my 20th
birthday I was captured, and am now one of the longest held political
prisoners in the world. With 46 years in prison, I continue to seek ways
to contribute to the overall struggle. The writing of my books, “We Are
Our Own Liberators” and “Escaping the Prism—Fade to Black” is part of
giving back to this generation of activists. It is necessary to ensure
the continuum from one generation to the next, and it is incumbent on
each generation to support political prisoners who paved the way,
passing the torch of revolution.

In this regard, recently the Jericho Amnesty Movement embarked on a new
national and international campaign to persuade the U.N. International
Jurists to initiate a formal investigation on human rights abuses of
U.S. political prisoners. To further demand the U.S. Corporate
Government implement the U.N. Minimum Standards on the Treatment of
Prisoners, and for the immediate release of our political prisoners.
This especially calls for the release of those with COINTELPRO
convictions who have languished in prison for 30 to 50 years. These
political prisoners were contemporaries of Nelson Mandela; when he was
fighting against Apartheid in South Afrika, they were fighting against
Jim Crow segregation and second-class citizenship in the U.S. This
Jericho campaign motto is “In the Spirit of Nelson Mandela” and
activists across the country are urged to join and support in whatever
way they are able in political solidarity toward the building of the
National Coalition for the Human Rights of Political Prisoners. For more
information on this campaign or on the existence of U. S. political
prisoners, contact: www.thejerichomovement.com
<http://jerichony.us12.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=20d9a2ebb7&e=e9f3d86b9a>
or email jihadabdulmumit at gmail.com <mailto:jihadabdulmumit at gmail.com>

About the writer: Jalil Abdul Muntaqim (ANTHONY BOTTOM) is one of the
longest held political prisoners in the world. He is the author of “We
Are Our Own Liberators,” a compilation of prison writings. Many of his
essays have been published in scholastic anthologies such as “Schooling
a Generation,” ed. Chiasole (2002); “The New Abolitionist: (Neo) Slave
Narratives and Contemporary Prisoners Writings,” ed. Joy James (2005);
“This Country Must Change,” ed. Craig Rosenbraugh (2009); Jalil’s
articles have appeared in NYC Amsterdam News, the San Francisco BayView
newspapers, and many progressive publications. His most recent book,
“Escaping the Prison—Fade to Black,” a compilation of poems and essays
with an extensive Afterword by Prof. Ward Churchill, published by
Kersplebedeb Pub. & Dist., in Canada, can be purchased on Amazon.com and
from AK Press. Jalil is the co-founder of the Jericho Amnesty Movement.
For more information on Jalil’s NEWKILL conviction and fight for parole,
check: http://www.freejalil.com
<http://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=4d4de60c3f&e=e9f3d86b9a>.

http://mailchi.mp/jerichony.org/the-making-of-a-movement-by-jalil-muntaqim?e=e9f3d86b9a