[Pnews] MOVE update - August 2017

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 21 11:56:48 EDT 2017

*Via: ***Ramona Africa* <onamovellja at gmail.com
<mailto:onamovellja at gmail.com>>*

*August 21, 2017
*

*ONA MOVE, my friends! This is an amazing time for our MOVE family.
There is so much going on that I want to be sure that you’re aware of.
The latest with my family’s parole status is the continuing denial of
parole for our brother Delbert Africa. Delbert was recently denied
parole and given a 5 year set-back despite the continued recommendation
of the prison that he be paroled and despite him being free of
misconducts for decades. Our brother, Mike Africa, sees the parole board
in September. He recently went through the prison parole preparation
process and after being recommended for parole by this same prison every
time he has gone up for parole over the past 9 years, this time they
told him they were not recommending him for parole. They did not,
because they could not, explain this change in their decision. Like
Delbert, Mike has been misconduct free for decades. Nothing has changed
since the last time they recommended him for parole. Our brother, Eddie
Africa, on the other hand, for some unexplainable reason has never
gotten the recommendation of the prison he’s in, despite being
misconduct free, SCI-Mahanoy has suddenly recommended him for parole. I
tell you all of this to show you that the plan is to keep MOVE in prison
til they die, no matter what (being misconduct free or not, having the
recommendation of the prison or not), and that it is up to the power of
the people to see that it doesn’t go down that way. *

*On a lighter note, for some reason, there’s a lot of media activity
around MOVE at this time. On September 9^th , The Philadelphia Museum of
Art is opening a 3 month project on the City of Philadelphia. The
project has an extensive focus on MOVE. The fact that such an
established institution is including and focusing on MOVE in such a
project and came to us for material is a good thing, a sign of changing
times and attitudes. It will put a lot of attention on MOVE for people
that we wouldn’t regularly be in contact with. We encourage people to
make time to see this exhibition. *

*There’s an Opera, based on MOVE, opening on September 16^th for six
nights at the Wilma Theatre on south Broad St., The Avenue of The Arts.
This is a prestigious area of the city and “Opera Philadelphia” is not a
fly by night institution. The tickets for the opera, “We Shall Not Be
Moved”, sold out very quickly. Again, this opera connects us with an
audience that we’re not usually in connect with and therefore gives us a
great opportunity to focus on The MOVE 9 and their 39 years of unjust
imprisonment.*

*There are also a number of media projects (movies, mini-series,
documentaries, docuseries, etc.) in the works about MOVE. MOVE members
are not at all interested in being movie stars but we see these media
projects as wonderful opportunities to focus a huge amount of attention
on The MOVE 9 in a huge way and therefore a huge amount of pressure on
officials to release our family. This is an amazing time and must be
seized. As these projects unfold, we must take full advantage of them to
gain the release of innocent MOVE members. These are prime opportunities
to reach people that have not been reached before and we can’t allow
these opportunities go by without using them to our full advantage. *

*Finally, for those that don’t already know, the historical marker about
the 1985 bombing of MOVE is now installed at Osage Ave. & Cobbs Creek
Pkwy. (63^rd St.). Take a look, those of you in or near Philadelphia.
Five uncompromising children accomplished in a year what adults had not
accomplished in 32 years. Also, the movement across the country to bring
down statues of racists has escalated the movement here in Philadelphia
to bring down the statue of racist former mayor, Frank Rizzo (if you’re
too young to know who and what he was, research him). The vicious
attitude of Trump and his cronies has really opened people’s eyes, got
people on their feet and in the streets.*

*Keep your eyes and ears open so you’re on top of what’s going on. Be
well----Ramona *