[Pnews] Hunger Strikers Demand Release from Solitary Confinement in Tacoma¹s Immigration Prison

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 10 15:04:54 EDT 2017

_For Immediate Release_maru at latinoadvocacy.org

August 10, 2017

Hunger Strikers Demand Release from Solitary Confinement in Tacoma’s
Immigration Prison

NWDC continues on “modified lockdown” indefinitely

Tacoma, WA - Over 15 immigrants held in solitary confinement continue on
hunger strike. The hunger strike began on Tuesday at 11am when 20
immigrants were taken to solitary in retaliation, highlighting poor
detention conditions and a violent and hostile environment for up to
1,575 people held by the GEO Group for Immigration and Customs
Enforcement (ICE). The hunger strikers have issued demands to GEO Group
and ICE, calling for them to respect the humanity of detainees. The
hunger strike will end once all 20 people are returned to general
population.

Hunger strikers demand that the 20 people who were placed in solitary
confinement for “planning a riot” after the event that happened on
August 4th because they yelled at a GEO guard who was assaulting a youth
be released back into the general population. The boy had recently been
transferred to the NWDC after turning 18, after arriving as an
unaccompanied youth and held by child services until he was eligible for
detention and deportation. After his assault, GEO guards placed the
facility on lockdown -- no phones, no lawyer visits, not even lights.
Since then, the facility is on “modified lockdown” and even those not
held in solitary confinement have reportedly been told that they cannot
talk to each other.

The hunger strikers have issued a complete list of demands targeted to
responsible agencies:

Hunger strikers demand that ICE:

 1.

    Release the 20 people held in solitary confinement back into the
    general population.

 2.

    Release everyone who has been in detention for four years or more.

 3.

    Release people who have completed their court cases and are waiting
    for visas. (People sometimes wait for weeks for release, even after
    agreeing to repatriation.)

 4.

    Release people from detention if their countries of origin will not
    accept them (instead of detaining them indefinitely).

 5.

    Prioritize reviews of people from regions suffering violence, such
    as the Middle East, Africa and Central America.

 6.

    Let people have contact visits with their family at least once every
    90 days.

 7.

    Hold GEO responsible for detention conditions because “GEO is NOT
    CAPABLE.”

Hunger Strikers demand that GEO Group:

 1.

    Release hunger strikers from segregation into the general population.

 2.

    Arrange contact visits with families.

 3.

    Stop segregating people into “levels” of security, and stop moving
    people on that basis. People currently registered as Level 3 should
    get at least 2 hours a day for recreation, as other levels currently do.

 4.

    Negotiate commissary store prices down. Our families already pay
    taxes outside and then have to pay money for our commissary, they
    have to pay a fee and then we have to pay triple.

 5.

    Provide nutritious food: We want better, healthy food. We want fruit
    again, not just on weekends and more protein.

Activists are currently outside the Northwest Detention Center in
solidarity with the hunger strikers and will have a daily presence until
the strikers end their protest. We call on the Northwest Detention
Center to release them from solitary confinement, and on GEO and ICE to
take responsibility for inhumane living conditions.

For live updates, visithttps://www.facebook.com/NWDCResistance/.

###

NWDC Resistance is a volunteer community group that emerged to fight
deportations in 2014 at the now-infamous Northwest Detention Center in
Tacoma, WA. NWDC Resistance is part of the #Not1More campaign and
supported people detained who organized hunger strikes asking for a halt
to all deportations and better treatment and conditions.

#Not1More      #NoEstánSólos

Maru Mora Villalpando
Latino Advocacy
www.latinoadvocacy.org