[Pnews] Support hunger striking Wisconsin prisoners - demand an end to solitary confinement

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 13 18:56:06 EDT 2016

Since early June, some of the prisoners in Wisconsin’s solitary
confinement units have been refusing to accept food, as a protest
against their prolonged isolation and inhumane treatment by the
Wisconsin Department of Corrections (DOC).  It is extremely difficult to
communicate with people in solitary confinement, but many letters have
been received and we know that at least two of the inmates have
continued their food refusal until now, more than five weeks since they
began.  We know there are others that have joined in at different times,
but getting exact numbers has been impossible as the DOC has refused to
provide those.

A central concern of the prisoners is the practice of “Administrative
Confinement.”  This is a category of solitary confinement that the DOC
uses to exempt itself from its own rules.  So, while the DOC talks about
cutting down on the length of stay in solitary, some people are kept in
Administrative Confinement for years and even decades.

On June 17th, the DOC began to get court orders to allow them to
force-feed at least four of those who were not eating.  The method they
have chosen is to force a tube through the person’s nose - a practice,
by the way, that was discontinued in Guantanamo Bay because it was
deemed to be too brutal.  There they use intravenous feeding to force
nutrition.  Several of the prisoners have said that the force used
against them was even in excess of what is necessary for this method,
and according to our sources, one of the prisoners was hospitalized due
to injuries from the procedure. It is worth noting that force feeding of
prisoners has been prohibited by the World Medical Association since 1975.

On Thursday, July 14, at 11 am there will be a hearing in a Dodge County
courtroom.  The judge learned that there is videotape of the way that
guards were dealing with one of the prisoners, Cesar DeLeon.  The judge
has demanded that all parties, and the video, be brought to court.

Today, we are asking you to take one very specific action:  Please call
your State Senator and your State Assembly representative – you can find
their information HERE
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Io1h89EPmbq%2BNHty9Bb9fTlzCuSPD%2F83>
- and say:

///“I am very worried about the way Wisconsin prisoners are being
treated. Please contact the DOC immediately to tell them you are very
concerned about the abuse of the prisoners who have been refusing
food.   And, please ask the DOC why Administrative Confinement does not
follow the rules set for others in Solitary Confinement. And, please
insist that they make meaningful changes NOW.” /

If a lot of us make that brief phone call, it can help bring to light
what has been very, very hidden.

If you wish to learn a lot more about the specific issue of
Administrative Confinement, and if you would like to be part of a
long-term project to help force a change in the rules governing Solitary
Confinement, please contact our good friend Peg Swan, at
pgswan3 at aol.com.  She has a long-term plan and would love to have some help

Finally, for those in the Milwaukee area:  Please mark your calendar for
*Thursday, August 11, from 6-8 pm*.  We will be holding an event called
“Thirsting for Justice.”  It will lift up the issues of Old Law Parole,
Compassionate Release, Crimeless Revocations, Solitary Confinement, and
Contaminated Water in some of our prisons.  We will also be collecting
bottled water that evening to deliver to prisoners whose drinking water
is unsafe.