[Pnews] Support Political Prisoner Sundiata Acoli's Ongoing Legal Appeals

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 11 11:00:52 EDT 2016

July 10, 2016

Dear Friends and supporters of Sundiata Acoli:

A New Jersey Appellate Court in September 2014 ordered the release of
Sundiata, resting its decision on the eligibility requirements under the
New Jersey Parole Act of 1979. The decision left us overjoyed and at the
same time, cautious as the State announced it would appeal the decision
and request a “Stay” of the release until the appeal was heard.The
“Stay” was granted which resulted in Sundiata remaining incarcerated
while awaiting a decision from a New Jersey Supreme Court.

Arguments were heard on October 13, 2015 and on February 23, 2016, the
Supreme court of NJ reversed the Appellate Court’s order. The court did
not rule on the merits of the Appellate case ordering release, but
focused rather, on procedure. The Supreme Court held that the Appellate
Court exceeded its authority in ordering release because a procedural
process had not been followed- in New Jersey the full parole board has
to make a decision in cases involving murder convictions. Sundiata
appeared before the full board in June, 2016 and again,
denied*//*parole. An appeal will again be taken to the same Appellate
Division that ordered his release.

Additionally, a certiorari petition has been filed in the United States
Supreme Court and that filing involved legal fees, printing and filing
costs. Please know and understand that all of your support is so much
appreciated and needed as we continue to work towards Sundiata’s
release. He will be 80 years old on January 14, 2017!!!

It is most respectfully requested that everyone continues to exercise
discretion and discipline in not making what could be interpreted as
inflammatory remarks on social media or elsewhere. I know all of us who
love and support Sundiata will want no reason for a denial of parole
when this case again comes before the New Jersey Appellate Court- the
court that issued a strong order that Sundiata must be released in
accordance with the NJ parole Act of 1979. Sundiata has continued his
positive actions since that decision.

Further, do understand that as much as we would like to keep supporters
and friends abreast of what is going on with the case, it is not in
Sundiata’s best interest to expose each and every detail and legal
strategies. We will all celebrate his freedom when he is released, but
until then we will exercise restraint.

Please make checks/money orders payable to: *Sundiata Acoli Freedom
Campaign (or SAFC)*

Mail to:

*Florence Morgan**
120-46 Queens Blvd.
Kew Gardens, New York 11415
*

*or
*

*To make a contribution, please send funds to this email address via
PayPal:*
*SAFC766 at gmail.com <mailto:SAFC766 at gmail.com>.
*

For more on the details regarding Sundiata's recent hearing,
here is a statement he shared with SF Bayview:
http://sfbayview.com/2016/07/sundiata-acoli-ride-and-denied/

All the Best,
Florence Morgan

/Send our brother some love and light: Sundiata Acoli (Clark Squire),
39794-066, FCI Cumberland, P.O. Box 1000, Cumberland MD 21501./