[Pnews] Historic settlement to end CA indefinite solitary confinement finalized in court

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 27 15:27:22 EST 2016

*Historic settlement to end CA indefinite solitary confinement finalized
in court*
***
Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition
January 27, 2016*

OAKLAND - On Tuesday, Federal Judge Claudia Wilken approved the final
agreement to end indefinite solitary confinement in California calling
it humane, innovative and fair. Prisoners celebrated the settlement
agreement, whose terms were agreed on last September, claiming it as a
victory that bolstered their struggle for human rights.

Anne Weills, one of the attorneys representing the prisoners, pointed
out that “what was missing from the courtroom were all the prisoners who
risked their lives in the hunger strikes of 2011 and 2013.” She went on
to say, “Yes, our litigation team did the best we could to bring our
clients out of indefinite solitary confinement and into the light of day
– but there is no doubt that we could not have gotten where we have with
this settlement without the leadership of the brilliant, courageous,
fearless and enlightened men in the Short Corridor at Pelican Bay who in
2011 set this all in motion.”

The Center for Constitutional Rights released data showing the agreement
has already led to the transfer of hundreds of prisoners from segregated
housing units back to the state's general prison population.

Between preliminary approval of the California settlement in October
2015 and January 22, 2016, 686 out of a total of 1,813 prisoners
entitled to reviews under the settlement have been reviewed for release
into the general prisoner population; 546 of the prisoners reviewed,
nearly 80 percent, have been cleared for release into general
population; and 437 have actually been released from solitary
confinement. The vast majority of prisoners who have been reviewed but
not cleared are awaiting a higher-level prison review; most are expected
to be released into general population as well. The settlement requires
all first-level reviews to be complete within one year.

Jules Lobel, the attorney representing the Center for Constitutional
Rights said “we look forward to the full implementation of all its terms.”

One of the longtime prisoner organizers, Mutope Duguma, cautions, “The
power of the legal support and the family/community support is what
literally humanized us prisoners to the rest of the world.  The
countless families and friends did a remarkable job in representing us
from an emotional and human perspective and our legal support
represented our civil and human rights, and together they both
re-humanized us as men and women. This is what made it possible for us
to be able to demand such a settlement. It is with this family,
community, and legal support that we demand accountable implementation
of the settlement. We know what works so let’s stay the course.”

A recently released letter written by one of the main representatives of
the prisoners asks that prisoners “Monitor and report on the functional
implementation of prison conditions and CDCr employees, holding their
feet to the ground and letting CDCr employees know that they are not
above the Ashker v. Brown Settlement Agreement.”

The settlement transforms California’s use of solitary confinement from
a status-based system, in which prisoners were isolated indefinitely
based on vague and unsubstantiated allegations of gang affiliation, to a
behavior-based system, in which solitary confinement is used only as
punishment for serious rule infractions and only for determinate periods
of time. It also limits the total amount of time a prisoner can spend in
the Security Housing Unit (SHU) at Pelican Bay State Prison. The
settlement includes a two-year monitoring period, which may be extended
if the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is found
to be violating prisoners’ constitutional rights or the settlement terms.

When the case was filed in 2012 on behalf of prisoners in Pelican Bay,
more than 500 of them had been isolated in the SHU for over 10 years,
and 78 had been there for more than 20 years. They spent 22 ½ to 24
hours every day in a cramped, concrete, windowless cell, and were denied
telephone calls, physical contact with visitors, and vocational,
recreational, and educational programming. Hundreds of other prisoners
throughout California have been held in similar SHU conditions, and the
settlement applies to all of them.