[Pnews] Jabari Scott in GP! ‘Man, it was beautiful enjoying my first cup of joe’

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 18 10:23:04 EST 2016

*http://sfbayview.com/2016/01/jabari-scott-in-gp-man-it-was-beautiful-enjoying-my-first-cup-of-joe/*

  Jabari Scott in GP! ‘Man, it was beautiful enjoying my first cup of joe’

*/by Jabari Scott - /*
January 15, 2016

I’ve transferred to the general population! After my CCI counselor read
off my whole history to the committee, from my felony arrest to every
incident I was involved in through my incarceration, Warden Davey began
to explain that after nine years and seven months he was releasing me
from the SHU and lowering my custody level because I haven’t received
any rule violation write-ups for quite some time.

Thus I will be transferred to the 270-designated prison that’s closest
to my area. He followed that up with the expectations he has of me, and
the captain told me to go pack up because I was to be immediately moved
to the General Population (GP) yard here at Corcoran, no longer a SHU
prisoner.

With that I went back to my cage and packed up all my property and
relayed it to the building staff who inventoried it – and surprisingly
didn’t take a thing. Soon after they came back to get me, and I said all
my goodbyes to those I’d built solid friendships with.

      I’ve transferred to the general population!

My property was packed up on a golf cart and we took a ride through a
maze of buildings, stopping several times to pass through multiple
gates. When we finally made it to my destination, the 3A GP yard, I was
helped off the cart and put up against the wall, my handcuffs were
removed and the officer said, “You’re free, and I won’t put handcuffs on
you unless there’s something wrong. Go ahead and remove your property
from the golf cart and put it in a push cart so that you can push it to
the building you’re assigned to.”

This was the very first time in nine years and seven months that I have
ever been next to an officer without handcuffs on, and it really felt
weird because both of our psyches had been so scarred with the idea that
I would attack him. But my brief apprehension passed, I loaded the hand
cart and made my way to 3 Building, where I was directed to Cell 230 on
the upper tier. I unloaded my property and put it in the cell I was
assigned and which I will be occupying until I find a permanent home.

Immediately, I began to notice all the small things that were not
available to me in the SHU, like electric and cable TV plugs, a light
switch, a clear, full size mirror where I could see my whole face, a
proper shaving razor, boxes of plastic bags, lockers. In the SHU we put
our electrical and cable cords through a hole in the wall so an officer
could plug them in on the other side, and we had no light switches – all
the lights went on at 6 a.m. and were shut off at 9 p.m.

When we are locked in a single man shower, a razor is handed to us,
which we have to rush to use and turn in before we exit the shower.
Boxes and plastic bags are not allowed.

      This was the very first time in nine years and seven months that I
      have ever been next to an officer without handcuffs on, and it
      really felt weird because both of our psyches had been so scarred
      with the idea that I would attack him.

On my first morning, my door was opened and my name was called over a
loud speaker to go out to medication pickup. I walked with a group of
guys and we all walked a good distance to the clinic and back to pick up
our medication. In the SHU a nurse came to the door and gave everything
to you.

The walk was beautiful but everything felt surreal, as though I was in a
fog. The reality of it all still has not set in.

My neighbor was also in the SHU with me. He’s a Mexican from Southern
California, and he and his celly had an extra hot pot which they let me use.

As soon as I got in my cell, I filled it with water and made my first
cup of hot coffee in nine years and seven months. In the SHU we’re not
allowed to have anything hot for fear we would throw it at an officer.
Man, it was beautiful enjoying my first cup of joe!

At lunch I hooked up my first hot top ramen soup and had a hot lunch. On
Saturday we had chicken – first piece I’ve had with a bone in 10 years.
In the SHU they serve small nugget-style pieces because they’re afraid
we’ll make a knife.

      I made my first cup of hot coffee in nine years and seven months.
      Man, it was beautiful enjoying my first cup of joe!

On Sunday I had my first real egg. After breakfast they called for
church – I’m not cleared yet to go to services but as soon as I am, I’ll
be attending. In the SHU they have no form of religious services
whatsoever – looking forward to getting my God on!

In the mornings we have four hours of yard time and an hour and a half
in the dayroom in the evening. I’m not eligible yet for this either but
should be in 10 days. However, I don’t know if that will happen before
they send a bus for me to go to whatever prison I’ve been promoted to.

I’m still getting used to having my door opened and me freely exiting
through it. I quickly learned to be ready and on point at my door for
medication pickups twice a day because I don’t want to get caught off
guard with my door open and me not ready. All of it is a lot to get used
to but I’m working my way through as reality continues to sink in.

I will continue to keep you all updated. Keep me in your prayers as you
will always be in mine.

/Send our brother some love and light: Jabari Scott (Aaron Ray Scott),
H-30536, CSP Corcoran 3A-03-230, P.O. Box 3461, Corcoran, CA 93212./