[Pnews] President Obama: use clemency to free a wrongfully convicted Native American

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 22 16:53:18 EST 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/21/leonard-peltier-clemency-obama-pine-ridge

  President Obama: use clemency to free a wrongfully convicted Native
  American

Martin Garbus <https://www.theguardian.com/profile/martin-garbus> and
Cynthia K Dunne - December 21, 2016

Approaching the Standing Rock Reservation to stand with the Water
Protectors, you couldn’t miss the dramatic display of tribal flags
flying high along the dirt driveway and surrounding the perimeter of the
large campgrounds. Scattered between hundreds of flags are banners
bearing messages such as: /Mni Wiconi/, “water is life” in the Lakota
language.

Also scattered among the flags were banners calling for the release of
Leonard Peltier, a Native American who has been in jail for more than 41
years, unjustly convicted
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-leonard-peltier> of the
1975 murders of FBI special agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams on the
Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Barack Obama just
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/12/19/president-obama-grants-commutations-and-pardons>
pardoned or commuted the sentence of 231 individuals on Monday, and
Peltier was not among them.

We represent Leonard Peltier in his 2016 clemency petition, which asks
Obama to allow him to live his final years at home on the Turtle
Mountain Reservation in North Dakota. Mr Peltier is old, ill and a
threat to no one. The petition
<http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/LEGAL/uploads/2016clemencyapp.pdf>
seeks his release in the interests of justice and reconciliation and is
supported <http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/home/support/> by Nobel
Peace Prize laureates, humanitarians and scholars. Rights groups have
embraced his cause, including more than 100,000 people who have signed
an Amnesty International petition
<http://act.amnestyusa.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1839&ea.campaign.id=27118>
calling for his release.

Over the course of our legal representation, we reviewed old government
records obtained through decades of litigation under the Freedom of
Information Act as well as court proceedings. Viewed through today’s
lens, the case presents a glimpse of an era when social activists were
considered a threat and Native American activists, in particular, were
branded “extremists”.

The incident took place in the wake of the American Indian Movement’s
(Aim’s) 1973 siege
<http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/home/background/wounded-knee/> of
the Wounded Knee Massacre site, where hundreds of unarmed Lakota men,
women and children were murdered by the US Army in 1890. That siege
brought attention to broken treaties, failed promises and tribal
corruption. Under the FBI’s exclusive jurisdiction for the prosecution
of major crimes, violence escalated in the impoverished and politically
charged community; it is an era that locals refer to as the “Reign of
Terror”.

Leonard Peltier arrived in June 1975 to help protect Oglala Lakota
families from violence. On 26 June that year, two FBI agents entered the
private property in unmarked cars and gunfire erupted. By the end of the
incident, Agents Coler and Williams died, as did Native American Joseph
Stuntz, although no charges were brought against anyone for his death.

Peltier states in the petition: “I did not wake up ... planning to
injure or shoot federal agents, and did not gain anything from
participating in the incident … I was [on Pine Ridge Reservation] to
protect ... residents, not to cause harm … If I could have prevented
this tragedy from occurring, I would have done so.”

FBI agents from across the country immediately were dispatched to Pine
Ridge Reservation, where they launched what amounted to an assault upon
the Oglala Lakota Nation. They made warrantless searches of homes,
offices and residences, coerced testimony, detained people without cause
and even restrained an attorney who attempted to prevent a warrantless
search. Requests at the time from US Civil Rights Commission
Investigator William Muldrow for independent oversight of the FBI were
ignored by federal officials.

The injustices that contributed to Peltier’s conviction are not subject
to credible dispute. Federal agents made false statements
<http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/FREEPELTIERNOW/images/DOCN0011B.gif>
to the press; submitted <http://www.freepeltiernow.org/extradition.html>
false affidavits to courts; coerced
<http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/LEGAL/TRIAL.htm> alleged witness
statements; and deliberately withheld
<http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/LEGAL/uploads/831056P.pdf> critical
ballistics reports in order to gain an unfair advantage at trial.

When the ballistics results were discovered after trial, the
government’s attorneys conceded – as they had to – that they had no
credible evidence regarding who shot the FBI agents, and did not know
whose weapon actually killed the agents.

Peltier’s many requests for a new trial were opposed by the government
and denied by the courts. He remains in jail today primarily because of
an “accomplice” theory of liability which was included in the written
charges but not argued to the jury, that he allegedly assisted someone
in an unidentified way.

The clemency petition does not reargue the verdict, but rather, it sets
forth the facts and is supported by the FBI’s own records. If Obama does
not grant the petition before he leaves office in just a few weeks, then
it will be a death sentence for Peltier, who is next eligible for parole
in 2024.

The tragic loss of all three lives will never be forgotten. That pain
should not blind us, however, to what the case represented at the time,
and has come to represent since.

In our opinion, history will record Peltier’s case as one of the
greatest injustices in the history of the American justice system.

When a nation fails to reckon with its past, it risks the perpetuation
of intolerance on one hand, and resentment on the other. To “seize a
better future” as Obama has said
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-obama-turkish-parliament>,
our nation must reckon with its historical injustices against Native
Americans.

Granting clemency to Leonard Peltier is not//a referendum on federal law
enforcement. It is a declaration to the world that we embrace Native
Americans <https://www.theguardian.com/world/native-americans> as equal
members of society, and a pledge to become a stronger and fairer nation.
It presents a moral imperative relevant to our nation’s past, present
and future – and to Obama’s legacy.

After 41 years, please Mr President, free Leonard Peltier.