[Pnews] Interview with Khalida Jarrar, Prominent Palestinian Activist and Parliamentary Member, After her Release from Prison

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 11 18:00:35 EDT 2016

http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/24921/interview-with-khalida-jarrar-prominent-palestinia

  Interview with Khalida Jarrar, Prominent Palestinian Activist and
  Parliamentary Member, After her Release from Prison

by Noura Erakat - August 8, 2016

Khalida Jarrar is a longtime Palestinian activist, feminist, and leading
member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). She
served as the Director of the Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights
Association <http://www.addameer.org>between 1993 and 2005 and has been
a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) since 2006 where
she leads the committee on political prisoners.

In 2014, the Israeli military ordered that Jarrar move from her home in
Ramallah to Jericho. Under the Oslo framework, both cities are in Area
A, the twelve percent of the Occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip
subject to Palestinian civil and security jurisdiction. The deportation
order is on its face, violative of this arrangement. In response, Jarrar
staged a month long sit-in in front of the PLC offices in Ramallah and,
together with international support, successfully overturned the
military order.

On 2 April 2015, Israeli military forces arrested Jarrar in a pre-dawn
raid where they forcibly removed her from her home. She served six
months under administrative detention, the martial law framework that
authorizes Israeli forces to detain any Palestinian without charge or
trial for up to six months at a time that can be renewed indefinitely.
administrative detention and charged Jarrar with twelve counts all
related to her political activity
<http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/1.659008>. She accepted a plea bargain
whereby she would serve a fifteen-month sentence and pay a 10,000 NIS
fine (~2,600 USD) for being a member of the PFLP and incitement. She
chose not to go to trial to challenge her detention because of her lack
of faith in the occupation court, which has a 99.7 percent conviction
rate against Palestinian defendants
<http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.690481>.

In late July 2016, two months after her release, I met with Jarrar in
the Addameer offices in Ramallah to discuss the conditions of her
captivity as well as her visions for the future of Palestinian struggle
and liberation.

*/On Captivity /*

*Noura Erakat [NE]:* */According to Addameer there are currently
/**/7,000 Palestinian political prisoners/*
<http://www.addameer.org/statistics>*/, including seventy women and girl
prisoners Can you tell me a little bit more about their condition of
captivity. /*

*Khalida Jarrar [KJ]:* In the year and a half I was imprisoned, there
was a total of twenty-five young girls and fourteen were left when I was
released. These girls are charged with stabbing or attempted stabbing of
an Israeli soldier. Many of them do not have internet, let alone
facebook; they were not influenced by social media. They were very
impacted by seeing young girls attacked and killed like Hadeel Hashlamon
and Yasmeen al Zaru. Seeing these young girls attacked and killed
mercilessly drove them to attempt to attack Israel’s occupation forces.

*NE:* */Palestinian detention is historically known as a space of
politicization. Did you find that to be the case during your recent
captivity?/*

*KJ:* There were twenty-five young girls in captivity when I arrived so
I organized with the other prisoners to establish a school for them. The
primary interlocutor is Lena Jarbouni. Each prison has a representative
that negotiates with the Israeli prison administration, Lena was that
representative for all of us. She has been in prison since 2003, she is
a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship and has not been released in any
of the subsequent prisoner exchanges. By the time she serves her
sentence and is released, she will have served the longest sentence
among all Palestinian female prisoners. She was arrested at twenty-six
and will be released at forty-one. She was very effective and a leader
in her all rights.

Together, we took advantage of a military law that allows minors to be
educated in captivity. We used that to get a Palestinian teacher from
the ’48 territories from 8:30 AM-3 PM. We created a classroom for them
as well as a library. The Israeli Prison Administration permits each
prisoner to bring in up to two books a month delivered by their
families. We created a library and appointed one of the young girls to
be the librarian.

As students, these girls were exempt from the rest of the prison
administration. In general, we were given a total of three hours of free
time when we could leave our cells and be outdoors. The girls were able
to leave their cells from morning until 3 PM for schooling. I used my
free time to also teach the students a course on political philosophy.

*NE:* */These girls are spending a critical portion of their formative
years in captivity. Do you feel that they are prepared to re-enter
society and all its norms upon release?/*

*KJ:* Yes, that is the point; to avoid a severe interruption in their
development. There were several girls that can take the /tawjihi/, a
matriculation exam upon which entry to university depends. Last year,
all five girls who took it in prison passed. This year, four girls are
preparing for the exam.

In addition, we introduced them to several crafts that can be useful. We
taught them how to make /tatreez/, traditional cross-stitch, as well as
jewelry, and notebooks.  I remain in communication with them. Part of
the issue is general political and social awareness around women’s
issues and part of the work I see for myself now is work with women’s
organizations to better educate young girls and women about gender
issues, women’s rights, as well political awareness, more generally.

*/Kangaroo Court and Conviction /*

*NE:* */Your arrest came abruptly after you had successfully defied
Israeli Military orders to leave your own home in Ramallah and to move
to Jericho. Of course this order is in and of itself in violation of
existing laws…/*

*KJ:* [laughs loudly] What law?

*NE:* */I know, theoretically speaking…anyway, after you defied the law,
on what grounds did they arrest you? /*

*KJ:* I refused to obey their deportation order and began a sit-in in
front of the PLC building where others joined me for a month in defiance
of the order. Ultimately, Israeli forces arrested me on grounds for
refusing the order. Once in custody, they convicted me for fifteen
months for being a member of the PFLP and incitement. The accusations
were ridiculous and unfounded.

The charges said that one time I visited prisoners who had just been
released and they considered my visit as material support for terrorism.
Another time I gave a speech in front of the PFLP flag and the military
alleged that doing so endorsed the destruction of Israel. In the list of
charges, they even included my attendance of a book fair where I asked
fair goers, “hello, how are you?” That was grounds for imprisonment.

This is the problem with military law, being Palestinian is sufficient
grounds for detention.

I spent six months in administrative detention before the military even
made any charges against me. If it were not for the international
support I received, I could have spent much longer in captivity without
charge or trial.

One time Addameer, asked that I be released on bail and the first judge
agreed <http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/1.659008> that I was not a
security threat and granted me release on bail. The military lawyers
appealed and said that if I was released, the military would re-arrest
me under administrative detention. They brought nineteen witnesses
against me, none of whom were material. They merely recounted that I
visited someone recently released from prison or attended a public
event. I refused to testify. It was a theater.

*/Post-release: The Situation is the Same and Worse /*

*NE:* */How do you see the situation since you have been released?
/*
*KJ:* It has only been two months since I have been out. I found
everything as it was and a little worse. The occupation seems to be
worsening in all of its dimensions.

The United States is attempting to enforce greater fragmentation among
our communities. Arab states are engaged in explicit normalization with
Israel diminishing our ability to apply pressure upon Israel. These
states now want to modify the Arab Peace Initiative so that they can
normalize relations with Israel even without achieving a resolution to
the conflict or the Palestinian condition. Regionally, groups like ISIS
are destabilizing conditions so that the Palestinian Question is fading
in significance. Palestinian refugees fleeing Syria are pressured to
accept whatever is being offered to them because the future is going to
be worse; further weakening claims for return.

*NE: /Do you have a vision for alternative strategies for liberation? /*

*KJ: *There are alternatives but there is not a lot of support for them.
The schism in Palestinian society and politics is deep and it is
affecting us. At the very least, the Palestinian leadership should
initiate a global conference to initiate all existing international laws
meant to protect Palestinians- this is an alternative to the current
political track. Everything else has failed and they can push for this
as a call for protection in the face of failed politics.

*NE: /A fundamental part of the problem is the formal Palestinian
leadership itself. How do Palestinians overcome this obstacle?/*

*KJ:* We need to return to a political and popular referendum. We need a
leadership that is closer to the Palestinian street; we need a unified
popular leadership unified similar to the structures we had during the
first Intifada. We are currently in a state of /sumoud/, steadfastness,
we need political support to strengthen this /somoud/. In practice, our
existing leadership has undermined all existing and decentralized
Palestinian resistance efforts.

Right now, not everyone is convinced resistance is even possible. In
fact, a large segment of society believes that these conditions are
opportune for them. They are not making any demands, not even for
international protection. No provision of food or shelter or security or
even hope.

This is not the work of any one individual or even several individuals.
This is the work of groups and movements. And here if you breathe you
are arrested, which makes it even harder to nurture such groups and
develop those movements.

*NE: /So how do we fill this gap between what is necessary and what is
possible? /*

*KJ:* People will fill it. During my trial, I stated that “I represent a
people and my people are under occupation and it is my right to
protest.” The military judge ordered me to be placed in solitary
confinement for saying this. But my fellow prisoners protested so much
that I was never placed in solitary.

We need to be patient, not to lose hope, not to lose track. And there
will be a accumulation of efforts that will lead to change. We need to
have hope that we will be victorious. We are not unique in our
condition, other peoples have overcome worse or similar conditions. If
our generation is not the one to accomplish this than it will be
achieved by other generations to come.