[Pnews] Palestinian Hunger striker Bilal Kayed refuses to see doctors - hunger strike day 50

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 3 17:30:00 EDT 2016

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/charlotte-silver/hunger-striker-bilal-kayed-refuses-see-doctors

  Hunger striker Bilal Kayed refuses to see doctors

Charlotte Silver
<https://electronicintifada.net/people/charlotte-silver> 3 August 2016

Bilal Kayed <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/bilal-kayed> has now
been on [hunger strike] for 50 days.

In mid-June, he was supposed to return to his home in the West Bank
village of Asira al-Shamaliya
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/asira-al-shamaliya> after serving
nearly 15 years in an Israeli prison.

But when Israeli authorities reneged
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/prisoner-starts-hunger-strike-israel-blocks-release/17076>
and placed him under administrative detention
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/administrative-detention> instead,
he began refusing food.

His protest has drawn strong support: around 100 Palestinian prisoners
have joined a hunger strike in solidarity
<http://www.addameer.org/news/hunger-strikers-solidarity-bilal-kayed>
with him.

Among those who have begun
<http://samidoun.net/2016/08/bilal-kayed-faces-serious-health-risks-on-49th-day-of-hunger-strike-former-striker-issawi-joins-protest/>
refusing food are Ahmad Saadat
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/ahmad-saadat>, the
secretary-general of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/pflp> who is currently serving a
30-year sentence.

The Palestinian circus performer Mohammed Abu Sakha
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/mohammad-abu-sakha>, placed under
under administrative detention last December, and jailed activist Hassan
Karajah <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/hassan-karajah> are also on
hunger strike.

This week, Kayed issued a letter
<http://samidoun.net/2016/08/bilal-kayeds-letter-from-prison-on-48th-day-of-strike-your-struggles-give-me-more-determination-for-victory/>
from his hospital bed addressed to the Palestinian people.

Kayed writes that he has begun refusing all medical examinations.

He also demands to return to prison so that he can stand “side by side”
with all prisoners who are resisting Israel’s occupation from behind bars.

“I am here, today, finishing my first stage in my battle with this
brutal occupier,” he writes. “And I have declared my second stage, which
is one of unity with all prisoners from all backgrounds and political
parties so that we can all, collectively, stand at the point of the
arrow of the national struggle, inside and outside the prisons.”

The head of the Palestinian Authority’s
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/palestinian-authority> health
ministry, Kamal al-Shakhra, visited Kayed on Tuesday.

Al-Shakhra reported that doctors have warned
<http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=772492> that Kayed, who is in
his mid-30s, could die suddenly as his health is deteriorating.

The ministry called on international health organizations to pressure
the Israeli government to release Kayed.

Kayed is being held in Barzilai hospital in Ashkelon
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/ashkelon>, a city in present-day
Israel.

Last week, an Israeli military court rejected
<http://aohr.net/en/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Hunger-Striking-Administrative-Detainee-Bilal-Kayed-30-Jun-2016.pdf>
Kayed’s appeal for release, saying that secret evidence showed he posed
a security risk if released.

On 15 June, Kayed was given a six-month administrative detention order
that could be renewed indefinitely. Administrative detention is the term
used by Israel for imprisonment without charge or trial.

Kayed has refused
<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/pressure-mounts-israel-release-bilal-kayed-160802071641071.html>
to be represented by lawyers from the Palestinian Authority, who have in
the past negotiated deals with Israeli authorities for hunger strikers.

He is relying solely on legal aid provided by the prisoners’ rights
group Addameer <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/addameer>.

Kayed has cited the severe and abusive conditions
<http://samidoun.net/2016/08/on-48th-day-of-hunger-strike-kayed-pledges-to-continue-until-freedom-or-death/>
in which he is being held in hospital.

He is shackled
<http://www.addameer.org/news/bilal-kayed%E2%80%99s-hands-and-feet-are-chained-his-hospital-bed-he-placed-under-severe-around-clock>
to a hospital bed by his right hand and left foot throughout the day and
night.

He is under constant watch by three Israeli guards, or a surveillance
camera when his lawyer visits. His room is monitored by a motion
detection device that blasts a loud noise every 20 minutes or whenever
there is movement in the room.

Other Palestinians involved in the hunger strike in various prisons have
reported cell raids, confiscation of personal property and revocation of
other privileges.

A spokesperson for the Israel Prison Service
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/israel-prison-service> told Al
Jazeera that prison authorities have punished a “few hunger strikers” in
the same way they would punish “any other prisoners’ disciplinary
violation” – by depriving them of “privileges.”

Campaigners around the world have called
<http://samidoun.net/2016/07/free-bilal-kayed-report-from-the-international-week-of-action-for-palestinian-prisoners/>
for Kayed’s release.

Amnesty International
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/amnesty-international> has
denounced
<https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/06/israel-renews-detention-without-charge-of-palestinian-circus-performer-for-further-six-months/>
Israel’s widespread and arbitrary use of administrative detention
against thousands of people.

In June, Amnesty observed that Israel’s use of administrative detention
had “sharply increased” during the past year.

According to Palestinian human rights groups, Israel issued 127
administrative detention orders during the month of July.

Latest figures
<http://samidoun.net/2016/08/july-2016-report-occupation-arrested-574-palestinians-during-the-month/>
indicate that the total number of Palestinians in administrative
detention stands at around 750.