[Pnews] Stiff Resistance is a Human Right! - Parole Commission refuses to release Mutulu Shakur

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 13 17:01:22 EDT 2016

    New post on *Dr. Mutulu Shakur is Welcome Here!*

*https://mutuluiswelcomehere.com/2016/04/13/stiff-resistance-is-a-human-right-malcolm-x-grassroots-movement-statement-on-mutulu-shakur/*

    Stiff Resistance is a Human Right!: Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
    Statement on Mutulu Shakur
    <http://mutuluiswelcomehere.com/2016/04/13/stiff-resistance-is-a-human-right-malcolm-x-grassroots-movement-statement-on-mutulu-shakur/>

April 13, 2016<http://mutuluiswelcomehere.com/author/dawtaofthedust/>

Stiff Resistance is a Human Right!
Mutulu is Welcome Here

Malcolm X Grassroots Movement

On April 7, 2016 the US Federal Parole Board continued it’s blatant
violation of the human rights of Dr. Mutulu Shakur by refusing to
release him from federal captivity after 30 years of time served even
though he is up for “mandatory parole release” based on the guidelines
under which he was sentenced. While this is a major blow to our movement
we are not surprised by the outcome. This refusal by the board to parole
Dr. Shakur is evidence of the continuation of COINTELPRO low intensity
warfare on the Black Freedom Movement and on our Freedom fighters held
in captivity.

Though the board continues to frame its decision and the entire case as
a legal issue of punishment for crimes, it is clear that this recent
decision is a political one aimed at disheartening our people, weakening
our movement and forcing us to submit to the ongoing colonization and
domination of the US empire’s will.

It is clear to us that the Parole Board had no intention of seriously
considering Dr. Shakur’s release on parole after 30 years. After
allowing the prosecutor of the case, as well as family and friends of
officers killed in the Nyack New York incident from which the case
stems, to testify by Skype, the hearing examiner asked several highly
charged political questions such as, “What do you mean when you sign off
letters and statements with ‘stiff resistance’?” He then proceeded to
answer his own question, “It sounds like you mean stiff resistance
against the Government”. The examiner also asked Dr. Shakur, “Why do you
think you are a political prisoner?” He than again responded to his own
question, “you were convicted of murder and robbery, not political
offenses”. Based on these and other questions, the examiner declared
that because Dr. Shakur does not take responsibility for his so-called
crimes and he ends his letters with “Stiff Resistance” and he continues
to claim to be a “political prisoner” he is likely to reoffend if let
out into the community.

It is evident with this hearing that the State sees ongoing resistance
to colonization and oppression of Black people as a threat. This is why
the current strategy of the State is to criminalize resistance! The
State is attempting to force Black revolutionaries to denounce the
history of resistance and cry “uncle”. This is a similar tactic that the
South African government attempted to use on Nelson Mandela and other
South African freedom fighters. The American government (the State)
wants to eliminate the memory of our historic fight for freedom and
self-determination.

It is important that we not allow political repression to silence our
voices or frighten us into discontinuing our charges of human rights
violations. We must declare to the world that there are Political
Prisoners and Prisoners of War being held in US prisons. We must stand
and defend our political prisoners and POWs and declare them to the
world without submitting to the States intimidation! We have to continue
to declare that there are PPs and POWs not only as a result of
COINTELPRO but increasingly as the struggle heats up, new political
prisoners and prisoners of war are being created as our people are once
again taking to the streets. Already several activists from Black Lives
Matter are being tried after actions carried out in Los Angeles, St.
Louis and Baltimore. The State will not stop its oppression and
imprisonment of our people and we cannot stop the fight for our liberation!

In the face of this blatant continued attack on Dr. Mutulu Shakur and
our liberation movement, we say STIFF RESISTANCE and STRAIGHT AHEAD! We
will not back up one step! We will continue to build a broad based
national, and international human rights campaign that educates and
exposes the colonial repression of the Empire not only against our
nation New Afrika but also against the indigenous First Nations
(American Indians) and prisoners like Leonard Peltier and the Puerto
Rican nation and prisoners like Oscar Lopez Rivera. We are all colonized
peoples and our freedom lies in telling the world and in moving Straight
ahead with Stiff Resistance! Freedom for Dr. Mutulu Shakur and all the
political prisoners and POWs of the American Empire!

We call on Black people and all people who love freedom and justice to
continue to support the movement to free Dr. Mutulu Shakur and all of
our political prisoners and prisoners of war. Continue to declare Mutulu
is welcome here. Spread his name and image so that the world knows about
Mutulu and about our struggle for human rights and self-determination.
We call on artists to create cultural expression to educate the people
about Mutulu. Write letters, sign petitions and organize actions in your
local areas to educate the people and to encourage the people to take a
stand for Mutulu's freedom and for the liberation of Black people! Stiff
resistance is a human right. Like Malcolm we declare that we will have
our human rights "by any means necessary".

Download a copy of the statement here
<https://mutuluiswelcomehere.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/stiff-resistance.pdf>

April 13, 2016