[Pnews] Albert Woodfox - This is What Freedom Looks Like - Two Months of Liberation

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 13 10:12:07 EDT 2016

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102316625122&ca=a9d4c8fc-1f05-4f86-8e73-d19a5970a9e0

A3 Newsletter, February 12, 2016:
This is What Freedom Looks Like...
Two Months of Liberation
*WATCH: *Albert Speaks at Southeastern Louisiana University
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkQjEcqWDpHurdeVd7dPQ2YA9ec5WkVPYOSjmlfSftbmPNxaUIHAY9GoBecvLqW2W5I7CAql40N4inCTIIGrTFVet2OZWOapDmyg8yFtyfJVkSDbmTnhdlxbYLjNsz4AJenZK618z8Wr4=&c=&ch=>

What a joy it is to have Albert out of prison, after all these years of
struggle, it is a rare and special treat to hear his voice on the phone
each morning as we review the days schedule and events. In Albert's
first month of freedom he stayed busy every day, obtaining
identification papers, scheduling doctor and dentist appointments,
visiting with family and supporters - every moment was occupied. Since
the end of March Albert has been in Texas, visiting with his brother
Michael and his family and getting some much needed rest.

This weekend, Albert and King head to Pittsburgh to participate in the
International Conference on Solitary Confinement, where they're sure to
run into many of the activists and supporters that have been involved in
the effort to end solitary confinement. After Pittsburgh, Albert will be
headed back to New Orleans to attend his first family reunion! Early May
finds him headed to Los Angeles for the Death Penalty Focus Conference
and then on to a long- anticipated trip to Yosemite with Sacramento
supporters, Gail Shaw and Billy X Jennings. Every day is an adventure;
shopping, banking, post office- all the things we have grown accustomed
to are new to Albert.

Below you'll find the latest statement from the legal team. As Albert
stated in one of his early interviews after his release, "There's a
movement in the country about solitary confinement...we think that we
were the spark...for that." We couldn't agree more! Although both the
civil and criminal cases have been settled, significant changes to the
Department of Corrections policies in Louisiana regarding solitary are
in the works and we hope to be able to share more detail in the coming
months. Meanwhile, around the country and around the world, there has
been greatly heightened awareness around the issues of solitary
confinement and like Albert and King, we feel that the case of the
Angola 3 has been instrumental in this raised consciousness and are
thrilled to see articles such as the one from Ottawa that use the Angola
3 case to leverage the abolition of solitary.

Albert looks forward to joining the fray in carrying on the movement to
abolish solitary and to expose the inequalities of the criminal justice
system. We are proud to stand behind Albert and King and assist them in
any way that we can as they carry on with their advocacy work.

*Statement from the A3 Legal Team*

"On April 5, 2016, the United States District Court for the Middle
District of Louisiana dismissed the long-pending civil rights action
brought by Robert King, Albert Woodfox, and Herman Wallace against
Louisiana Department of Corrections officials upon the joint motion of
the parties. The case has been settled, and the agreement is
confidential.  Plaintiffs King and Woodfox are confident the Louisiana
Department of Corrections will significantly overhaul its policies
concerning solitary confinement in the coming months so that no one in
the future will experience what they had to endure."

*Albert in the News*

CNN's Christine Amanpour conducted an excellent interview with both
Albert Woodfox and Robert King. The television interview can be watched
here
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkAAZJUpDoQmXn3hW13jSQTMhzcETIZvobzkypLPvTvwnL0n1fEGUO0pjvipfpX1OFmprn5DZe6_LGubISpwoIqd7Vd6QRglSZuaYcKGZVOKBcHC2QOyQvSIqZctlI9pPL_424gf3Y-osCTvFAt2bpT1LkFctNLARAkMvQ9ez4gmY3I3sEabPKpAE7VmB-NSMP&c=&ch=>.
Featured below are excerpts from some of the other new reports published
since our previous newsletter.

In their article entitled, Solitary Confinement and Justice: Why Albert
Woodfox's Release is Not Enough
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkBQ_vSU3HvGyU3VLpP_KV6LtBPOsaYS7CjRTZMCl2v7ZmqZ4BTohPtAakomvguVet3ShlwjSCpSx8EzLN47QNrQtKKgqMNLKoRVpwsgceTF1RxVq7gcCPcZjn6hMNDvE_BeAYj0ejCw-_fi-SPzaCqL1Z6zjZvF9kSTxKlhSzdwPEbK3hxFIKDTulQbVEM6uCcIbLstYhCsj76FxVeyynJw==&c=&ch=>,
Yvette Tiya of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee and Defending
Dissent Foundation writes:

/Unfortunately, Woodfox's story is not the only one. According to The
Guardian, approximately 80,000 Americans are being held in isolation. A
report from Yale University puts the estimate even higher, deeming that
of the 1.5 million incarcerated individuals in the US, nearly 100,000
are being held in solitary confinement facilities. The fact there is a
lack of consensus over how many American citizens are so imprisoned is a
grave concern. At prisons in Colorado, of the thousands being held
there, only 75 prisoners have been documented as developing debilitating
mental illnesses due to solitary confinement, even though it's widely
known that almost every individual incarcerated for prolonged periods of
time develops psychological complications by the time they are released.
Without a doubt, there are many more prisoners whose physiological and
mental disorders have gone undocumented. That this sort of inhumanity
still exists is alarming and disheartening/.

The article entitled Albert Woodfox speaks to the people after 44 years
in solitary
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkdHnkZ0fALtmPJdh9kCIvYI4YBe1T3Qd7ZojjuEkLSXdqWvg3k8qsExCPHVHJR3kJtQAk3tMDUxsGc8J_YxqV7Tb0OuFpTVvM3-dPuPeoM_3czpOoKkxQ-u8FDisb6pFsAjhSJbfVSV6gJ1Ak8hENSHQJf23sU1qU-u4SOZMgx2OQhozf30No7ob-bx6H2VAcC_tmK1BENi4=&c=&ch=>,
by Jarett Aucoin of Liberation News, concludes:

/The actions of the Angola Three have emboldened the solidarity amongst
prison abolitionists and human rights activists the world over. Woodfox
said in closing, "I am now a free man. I can go home,right now, be with
my family, and none of that would have been possible if it wasn't for
all the people who stood up beside me and did what was right."/

The National Public Radio story, After Decades In Solitary, Last Of The
'Angola 3' Carry On Their Struggle
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkeRvbukg7GZcC_veKIbnHss1ANbpwr6LYphPVbXGLFg_k1BjbnNw2NBSwjcxYd6Oovf4DOWqDDBGPXjV5csPZ4m_YQjGuK5N3EcTYRobdoCOdXeCRl4OHkwUQ_M4R8nKWz19XWuREGNtxjuWYpyQlic912zKrPBuxs3b3PmU4IWYM05TC1ggKaFBtS-f6PCIha86uivB15LBWIzKsvTOo8HTHbIOYxw-ClMN7KIAw9Kc=&c=&ch=>,
features an interview with Albert alongside Robert King (Albert was also
interviewed by a Swedish radio station
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWko5tfMTgmR7mDAeCa1vYjXT-zl2_PKLasRMm0OVV3oE_6kP1_jBNxFbyVVBC2KNGCehZk1cvRp5xrn0tW5kMI8YJiNu6v4QYWQZFBF69MoJdwzjmHhmd3my9Kc2GdVu8N0PKokUIb_qQnWFUPKbPznFem1tHY_cQHaV4v-kGF8ky-__9neub8VA==&c=&ch=>):

/"There's a different rhythm to living in society as to living in
prison," Woodfox says, "and I'm trying to adjust. Hopefully, I will get
there." For him, there was never a moment's thought to giving up his
fight to prove his innocence and gain his freedom. "There were times
when I was frustrated and angry," he says. "I've been through panic
attacks, claustrophobia attacks, but I never gave up and lost
hope."Woodfox says it was something special that kept him going. "The
qualities as a human being that I inherited from my mother - such as
strength, determination," he says. "And I think having Robert King and
Herman Wallace as only my comrades, but best friends, made it possible
for me to endure a great deal."/

/Kings says that he found similar strength in his friendships. "I was
motivated also by Herman and Albert and other people who I came in to
contact with, despite the fact that we were in solitary confinement," he
says./

In her article entitled Toward an Intellectual History of the Angola 3
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkxXwcuFP7by6sjAZINEaD8zgA5CeRRYGi7-nT3qCiSR4ttNkN-DDFMqAiFD4suq4aM349_Dx9_3TYguhVoFNWUT9km2HSoujjQ5Hz16cmy4ZgUoM4aEuB6k-do4atGe_7GuUlSsrdvj_9ZaR9ryKSvvbpbpjN-D4EIsqiQG9wIcJt9aeW9DPodQ==&c=&ch=>,
Holly Genovese of the Society for U.S. Intellectual History, reflects:

/I have spent the better part of three years writing about Woodfox,
Wallace, and King.  My interests began in the Black Power origins of the
Angola 3 and their connections to the New Orleans Black Panther Party.
But as I continued to write about the Angola 3, I started to argue for
an intellectual history of the Angola 3. Knowledge creators and
producers don't have to be in positions of power and in fact the Angola
3 follow in a long line of incarcerated writers and artists using art
and intellectual pursuits to gain power. The Angola 3 have done just this.

/In a recent /Ottawa Citizen/ article, entitled Canada cannot continue
using solitary confinement
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010v319BsjhFkuORQMMQl7BvdQaGIMdQKQ4Njot5hDd6ikRHBqywaWls64ifkutmWkAwIEkjL_rfVoxcXtLYdYjPjt2dxCgEvgkIZbvFBuP-qb-h_LUITlkzlr80mOqFQizGCcMjcbjPgl7RrF6r0oJk45ILy4iUsnhDuwULOYFbGQGYcHY3xEGe7DU0iwkyLK_ySGtQJPPsayq4Ri4WIdvR8t2WvOUOiDSoZDmlmyPCpXS4MhOOPOboPrZAAh-ktAFROB_DveJSvyWOLXg0fUPhWJIBqu9q0M&c=&ch=>,
author Kristina Seefeldt writes:/

On Feb. 19, Albert Woodfox of Louisiana was released after spending 43
years and 10 months almost exclusively in solitary confinement. The
United States is known for its extreme tough-on-crime approaches; but is
it possible for an offender to spend 43 years in solitary confinement in
a Canadian prison?

Yes.

Last month, the Ontario Human Rights Commission called for an end to
solitary confinement provincially. Although it would entail a new prison
policy overall, the end result would be a more humane approach to
imprisonment in Ontario./