[Pnews] Statement by Leonard Peltier, International Tribunal of Conscience

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 28 10:33:02 EDT 2015

*Statement by Leonard Peltier, International Tribunal of Conscience, 26
Sep 2015*

Greetings my friends and relatives,

As I look past my prison cell door, I contemplate the many doors and
walls that are between myself and freedom. Despite having been twice
recommended for transfer to a medium security facility since coming to
USP Coleman I, I am currently warehoused in a maximum security facility
in Florida. These maximum security prisons are each surrounded by a high
wall. For us inside there is no horizon.

As I think about these physical obstacles to my own freedom, I wonder
how many walls are between YOU and freedom. How many of these walls are
invisible—like the imaginary borders created by colonizers, power
brokers, and governments—that are nothing more than obstacles to the
free migration of Indigenous Peoples?

I’m greatly honored to be an absentee participant in this International
Tribunal of Conscience. I notice that the 43 disappeared students from
the Rural Teacher´s College in Guerrero have long since faded from the
news cycle. It is imperative that these young people, who were mostly
from Mexico´s poorest Indigenous communities, are never forgotten.
Perhaps the students involuntarily serve as a reminder that our
collective struggles are far from over. Death squads are still
prevalent, and it is always the poor and most vulnerable people who
endure the most suffering and injustice. These death squads are the same
around the world as they all serve the same master—greed—that spurs
humans to torture, terrorize, and kill others, forgetting that we are
truly all related.

One aspect of my case that is not widely known is that in the 1970’s
there were these same death squads on the Indian reservations. Corrupt
tribal police, were armed and propped up by federal forces. Prior to the
firefight on the Pine Ridge Reservation on June 26, 1975,—an incident
for which I have now served nearly 40 years in prison—some 60 people who
were connected with the resurgence of our traditional spiritual
practices and renewed struggle for sovereignty were murdered or
disappeared. During the preceding 5-month period, more incidents of
violence were reported on the reservation than in the rest of South
Dakota combined. In the subsequent search for my codefendants and
myself, the people of Pine Ridge were terrorized by these paramilitary
groups led primarily by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Innocent
people were intimidated, threatened, and brutalized. To date, none of
these acts of terrorism have been fully investigated.

On behalf of myself and the International Leonard Peltier Defense
Committee, I wish to thank the organizers of the International Tribunal
of Conscience, the National Lawyers Guild, and our hosts at New York
University. I encourage all defenders of human rights to continue to
work together on our common issues in the struggle for our existence.

In the Spirit Of Crazy Horse…

Doksha,

Leonard Peltier

More on the International Tribunal of Conscience:
http://internationaltribunalofconscience.org/
<https://gem.godaddy.com/redirects/1443287236-9ebebd5cb37454bc673a2b1c39f1ee7a-4ac0a97?pa=33370844537>

contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info