[Pnews] At the Mercy of Fools: Mohamedou Slahi’s Sojurn in Guantanamo

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 24 10:47:08 EDT 2015

September 24, 2015

  At the Mercy of Fools: Mohamedou Slahi’s Sojurn in Guantanamo
  <http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/09/24/at-the-mercy-of-fools-mohamedou-slahis-sojurn-in-guantanamo/>

by Akshay Ahuja <http://www.counterpunch.org/author/ashahu5793/>

*http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/09/24/at-the-mercy-of-fools-mohamedou-slahis-sojurn-in-guantanamo/*

Mohamedou Ould Slahi first appeared on the radar of American
intelligence in 2000. Slahi, a Mauritanian, was then living in Montreal,
and attended the same mosque as Ahmed Ressam, who tried in 2000 to bomb
the Los Angeles International Airport.

A number of things made Slahi suspicious. First, he had fought with Al
Qaeda in 1991 and 1992, when the organization—with American support—was
trying to overthrow the communist-led government of Afghanistan. Before
moving to Canada, Slahi had lived in Germany, and a few encounters there
set off intelligence alerts. Abu Hafs, one of Bin Laden’s advisers, was
married to Slahi’s wife’s sister, and Slahi had twice helped his
brother-in-law transfer money back to his family during the Ramadan
holidays. Also, it was later discovered that Ramzi Bin al-Shibh, who was
involved in planning 9/11, had spent a night in Slahi’s house in Duisberg.

For these associations, Slahi has, for the last fourteen years, lived
under the control of America’s shadow government—by this I mean all of
the parts of our military and intelligence agencies that operate outside
of public scrutiny, and to a significant extent outside of democratic
control.

Slahi left Canada in 2000, partly out of terror at the surveillance that
began there, and returned home to Mauritania. After turning himself in
for further questioning after September 11^th , he was kidnapped and
taken to Jordan, then to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, and finally to
Guantanamo Bay. At every stop, he has been subjected to torture: extreme
temperatures, beatings, sexual humiliation, borderline starvation, sleep
deprivation, threats to his family and life, and extended periods of
total isolation.

After one such period of torture in Guantanamo, Slahi told his
interrogators he was ready to confess. “If you’re ready to buy,” Slahi
said, to quote his account in /Guantanamo Diary
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN0316328685/counterpunchmaga>/, “I
am selling.” He then penned a confession indicating that he planned to
blow up the CN Tower in Canada. His interrogators, pleased, asked for
some corroborating details. When they became frustrated with his
yes or to say no?”

Apparently some particularly odd elements of his confession—such as
Slahi’s claim that he planned to mix sugar with the explosives—prompted
his interrogators to give him a polygraph. On October 31, 2004, after
years of torture and confinement, the polygraph registered “No Deception
Indicated” or “No Opinion” when Slahi asserted that he knew nothing
about any terrorist plots.

After this point, his treatment seems to have improved. In 2005, Slahi
handwrote a writ of habeas corpus, and also the pages of this book. A
U.S. District Court judge ordered him released in 2010, but he still
remains in Guantanamo pending the government’s appeal. It is unclear
what, if anything, he can be charged with.

II.

I picked up /Guantanamo Diary/ purely out of a sense of guilt and
obligation as an American. Very quickly, though, I began to read, to my
astonishment, with delight. Written in a slangy American English that
the author has picked up from his captors, the pages are filled with
such liveliness and insight that you forget the circumstances in which
they were written—on sheets of unlined paper in a segregation cell, with
no end in sight and no guarantee that any of it would be read. In his
curiosity about virtually everything, his extraordinary fairness to his
persecutors, and the warmth of his humor, Slahi reminds me a great deal
of Primo Levi. Like Levi’s great memoirs, Slahi /Diary/ is a work of
witness, a catalog of brutal torments and occasional joys, and a guide
to survival and sanity under obscene conditions. It is also—and in this
way Slahi is unique—a firsthand tour of the shadow government under
which all of us, in some form, live.

Fantasies about this government are difficult to avoid. Mine, I will
admit, are particularly incoherent. A repressive surveillance state is
about to descend on us, so we need to be vigilant; but we can also
ignore them entirely, because they will soon wither away like sick
flowers and leave us to dig our cabbages in peace.

Never, though, in all my rumination and reading and watching of spy
movies did I imagine a scene like the following. Here, in Slahi’s own
words, is the American intelligence community’s attempt to forge a
letter from his brother:

    …the forgery was so clumsy and unprofessional that no fool would
    fall for it. First, I have no brother with that name. Second, my
    name was misspelled. Third, my family doesn’t live where the
    correspondent mentioned, though it was close. Fourth, I know not
    only the handwriting of every single member of my family, but also
    the way each one phrases his ideas. The letter was kind of a sermon,
    “Be patient like your ancestors, and have faith that Allah is going
    to reward you.”

Perhaps naively, I was stunned by this. I went into this book expecting
evil, and evil, for me, has always been bound up with the concept of
intelligence. The dark power behind the throne—from the scheming
minister to the angel Lucifer to our shadow gitmodiary2
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN0316328685/counterpunchmaga>
government—is supposed to be /good/ at what it does. Remember that these
are a few hundred of the highest value detainees the Americans possess.
Surely the best people have been sent to interrogate them. Could
something else be going on with this amateurish letter? Slowly, though,
the evidence in the book piles up: these /are/ their best people. The
letter is an entirely representative sample of their abilities.

So, when the interrogators attempt to disorient Slahi in terms of time,
their plan fails because their wristwatches are clearly visible. Their
printouts, which they show to Slahi, contain date and timestamps, and
they are then flummoxed when he knows the time and date. One white
interrogator, who Slahi describes as “very silly,” threatens him with
the prospect of a black colleague. Slahi is confused about why this
should scare him, since he points out that “half of my country is black
people.”

Other interrogators tell Slahi that they have an incriminating videotape
of him planning terrorist attacks. When he is almost convinced that he
did plan such an attack, they show him Bin Laden speaking to an unknown
operative. Slahi can only respond, “You realize that I am not Usama bin
Laden, don’t you?” Another interrogator, Slahi writes, “is one of the
laziest people I ever knew. He didn’t take time to read reports, and so
he always mistook me for other suspects.” I’m not sure what sort of
information you can get when fiercely interrogating a suspect you think
is another person.

One can go on and on. It is hard to imagine a less competent
interrogation than the one depicted in the pages of this book. For every
reasonably intelligent guard or interrogator, there are six or seven
like the ones above. And the stupidity clearly rises all the way up the
ranks. There are over two thousand black-bar redactions in /Guantanamo
Diary/. These people have high-level security clearance and the
responsibility to guard America’s national secrets; presumably many
people work under them; and on every page of this book they display some
mixture of sloth and ignorance.

Names are redacted on one page and revealed on the next; some of the
redacted names are historical figures, like Gamal Nasser, who the censor
seems not to have recognized; female pronouns are the only ones
blacked-out, and it has occurred to no one that this makes it pretty
obvious which officers are female. Larry Siems, the /Diary/’s editor,
has done a fine job making educated guesses, but much of the censorship
is so careless that he doesn’t even have to work hard.

“Orwellian”—this word has great currency in our society. Politicians use
it almost reflexively when criticizing the overreach of various
intelligence agencies. There is, though—and Orwell would have
appreciated this irony—a compliment hidden in the word. “Orwellian”
indicates not just fearsome technological capacities of surveillance and
repression, but the accompanying skill and insight to use them to
achieve desired ends. Remember, when Winston is being tortured by
O’Brien, how he is almost grateful to be at last so profoundly /understood./

I would like to coin a new word in honor of the author of this book:
Slahian. A Slahian situation is where an entity possesses those same
fearsome resources, but can only wield them bumblingly, because there is
insufficient intelligence left in the system to use them in any other way.

This is the truth that Orwell missed in /1984/, or perhaps hinted at in
his sly appendix: tyrannies—and there is no question that America is
field-testing tyranny in Guantanamo Bay—have a built-in limiting agent,
because the mature fruit of tyranny is idiocy. This fruit has clearly
been ripening for some time in America; it is very soft right now, and
quite possibly about to fall on all of us.

There seem to be two processes at work in this decay of intelligence:
first, the driving out of capable people, and second, a belief that
human capacity is not important anyway, because it can simply be
replaced by more sophisticated technology.

One can see the first process at work in the account of Slahi’s
detention that Siems provides in his introduction. Lieutenant Colonel
Stuart Couch was the first prosecutor in the case. After realizing that
Slahi’s confessions were produced under torture, and in any case highly
implausible, he had a crisis of conscience. Couch describes being at a
baptism one Sunday, and hearing words spoken about human dignity:

    And when we spoke those words that morning, there were a lot of
    people in that church, but I could have been the only one there. I
    just felt this incredible, alright, there it is. You can’t come in
    here on Sunday, and as a Christian, subscribe to the belief of
    dignity of every human being and say I will seek justice and peace
    on the earth, and continue to go with the prosecution using that
    kind of evidence.

In an earlier era, this evidently decent man, with intelligence enough
to connect his faith and his conduct, would have gone to his superiors
and worked to get Slahi released. In today’s military, all he can do is
free himself from the contagion. Couch withdrew from the case, Slahi’s
life remained unchanged, and the military became a little less capable
than it was before.

Couch is not an isolated instance. Throughout this book, the dumb and
the brutal stick around; everyone else leaves or gets transferred. The
commander of Guantanamo’s detention operations in August 2002, for
example, told journalists that he and his uniformed officers were
questioning the “enemy combatant” designation that denied the detainees
Geneva Convention protections. Apparently little was being accomplished
by mistreating the low-level operatives—along with the totally
innocent—who were imprisoned there. “The Pentagon’s solution,” Siems
writes, “was to replace that commander and ratchet up the camp’s
intelligence operations.” I have some guesses about the character and
abilities of the person he was replaced with.

As smart people leave, higher-order responsibilities are simply
transferred to computers. The motto for today’s shadow government might
as well be, “Thinking? Our machines will do that for us.” Slahi’s only
crime, as noted above, is suspicious associations. These are the kind of
things—phone call records, money transfers—that a computer can spot.
After the computer finds its connections, though, you still need some
sort of human discrimination to recognize which patterns are
consequential, and this is precisely what is in short supply.

Notice that the Americans interrogators, who spend countless hours with
Slahi, never consider that he might be innocent based on their own
observations; it is only the polygraph/, an extremely unreliable
mechanical device, /that changes his fortunes. So when SKYNET, a
tracking system named—my God, consciously?—after the mainframe which
enslaves mankind in the /Terminator/ films, analyzes phone call data to
flag a man as Al Qaeda, there is inadequate human judgment behind the
computer to spot that this is because he is a journalist
<https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/08/u-s-government-designated-prominent-al-jazeera-journalist-al-qaeda-member-put-watch-list/>.

A computer tells another computer to drop a bomb; it kills a grandmother
picking okra in Pakistan
<https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/24/obama-drone-apology/>. No
one can explain the reason; this is a state secret, and the secret,
almost certainly, is that there is no reason. The computer told them to
do it. There are various intersections of data, and some of them happen
to result in dead grandmothers. Since mistakes have no consequences for
the perpetrators, the shadow government keeps on doing the same thing,
and anyone smart enough to see that this is counterproductive—or simply
disgusting—cannot survive for long inside this organism.

III.

I think/Guantanamo/ /Diary/ will eventually be seen as one of the
central documents of our time. Aside from the depth and wit of its
writing, it contains the best available portrait of our decaying shadow
government, and has valuable insights on ways to live with it while it
maintains its power.

Early on, when Slahi is about to be handed over to the Mauritanian state
for questioning, he entertains various plans for escape, and then, as he
gives up on his fantasies, coins this wonderful aphorism: “The key to
surviving any situation is to realize that you are in it.”

Here is an incident that gets at the heart of the Slahian situation. A
bored guard teaches the detainee chess. Within a few games, the detainee
begins to beat the guard easily. This enrages the man. The detainee must
then carefully plan a strategy that ensures that he will lose each game.
The guard is pleased with his great skill and continues to treat the
prisoner well.

The central lessons of Slahi’s experience of American detention can be
gleaned from this story. First and foremost, don’t display any
intelligence. Stay silent or don the mask of an affable simpleton. Slahi
manages this much of the time, but putting this sort of straightjacket
on your consciousness ends up being impossible for someone as lively and
open-hearted as he is. The results are a few genuine relationships with
sympathetic guards (soon transferred away), and also this great book,
which poured out in the months after the polygraph ended the worst of
his treatment.

This leads to a depressing thought: if Slahi hadn’t written the /Diary,
/and had, like the Good Soldier Svejk, kept up his mask of amiable
idiocy, he might be a free man by now. The Americans have released other
detainees they couldn’t charge with anything, and there seems to be no
explanation for why they are so determined to hold onto Slahi other than
his ability to sympathetically communicate in English about the
conditions of his detention.

We are in a strange moment in America—and I am very curious what the
view looks like from readers in other countries—between types of
societies and forms of government, where a book can be published while
its author remains imprisoned without charges for fourteen years; where
the most damning information freely circulates while public silence
becomes, quite possibly, a better strategy for survival than speaking out.

I don’t mean to sound deterministic, because it has taken a lot of good,
hard work from people like the ACLU to make this book available to us.
There are decent people even in Guantanamo—Slahi always acknowledges
them, and the small kindnesses he has received. Every one of these
counter-currents is to be valued and supported. But behind every black
line in this book, I see a bored, vacant face—terrible at chess and
convinced that it is a grandmaster; destroying itself and convinced that
it is winning—and I have no idea how to reach it, or how to hide from it.

Here, though, is a person living in a present as bad as any future I can
imagine, and displaying more grace, flexibility, and resourcefulness as
a prisoner than most of us manage under kinder conditions—a living
example of how a Slahian situation can be survived with dignity and wit
intact. At the end of the /Diary, /you will find the following Author’s
Note:

“In a recent conversation with one of his lawyers, Mohamedou said that
he holds no grudge against any of the people he mentions in this book,
that he appeals to them to read it and correct it if they think it
contains any errors, and that he dreams to one day sit with all of them
around a cup of tea, after having learned so much from one another.”

/*Akshay Ahuja* grew up in New Delhi, India, and Bethesda, Maryland,
USA. He writes for Dark Mountain./