[Pnews] Oscar Lopez Rivera Grito de Lares Message

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 21 12:08:29 EDT 2015

*A Special Message on El Grito de Lares from Oscar López-Rivera*

/For the past thirty-four years, Oscar López-Rivera, the longest held
political prisoner in Puerto Rican history, has commemorated El Grito de
Lares from within a U.S. prison. From his cell in the Marion Federal
Penitentiary, he wrote a brief reflection on the significance of El Grito. /

It’s very important to celebrate the Grito de Lares, especially to learn
more about that glorious event and to have a good appreciation about the
courageous men and women who dared to sow the seed of struggle for the
independence and sovereignty of our beloved homeland. We can raise the
question, why was the abolition of slavery so important to the heroic
women and men who took up arms against Spanish colonialism?Would the
Spaniards have abolished slavery without their uprising? Would the
colonizers have continued taking Puerto Ricans for granted? Would the
anti-colonial struggle have had the continuity it has been able to have
without this event? If the Grito de Lares had not happened, could so
many generations of Puerto Rican freedom fighters have given continuity
to the anti-colonial struggle?

The best leaders, who have succeeded them and emulated their example,
have looked at the Grito de Lares as the most important symbol of the
Puerto Rican anti-colonial struggle. They have used it as a platform not
only to raise consciousness, but also as one that will not allow Puerto
Ricans to forget that we have the potential of becoming an independent
and sovereign nation as long as we dare to struggle for it.

For us, El Grito de Lares is as important as the Grito de Dolores is to
Mexicans and the Grito de Yara is to our Cuban brothers and sisters. The
Grito de Lares was only the beginning of a revolutionary process. Its
celebration in the Puerto Rican diaspora and in Puerto Rico confirms
that our struggle to end colonialism continues, and that generation
after generation has carried in its heart our national boricua identity.
Indeed, the seed sown by the heroic women and men in the Grito de
Lares—that 23 of September, 1868—has become a perennial one. Our
struggle continues and victory will be ours because we dare to struggle
and to win.

EN RESISTENCIA Y LUCHA,

Oscar López-Rivera

--