[Pnews] Therese Coupez ¡PRESENTE! Rest In Power

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 16 18:22:52 EDT 2015

https://www.facebook.com/rose.arrieta.9/posts/10207783584011537
<https://www.facebook.com/rose.arrieta.9/posts/10207783584011537>

*Therese Coupez ¡PRESENTE! Rest In Power*

Therese Coupez, 62, was a bright spirit who gave everything she had to
make this world more just. She slipped away from us during the dawn
hours of Tuesday, September 8.

On getting the news that she had pancreatic cancer: “I feel surprisingly
peaceful about it all. I’ve lived a good life, mostly with grace and
always with integrity.” After a ceremony we held at her house in August,
Therese shared with us: “Today just might have been the finest gift I’ve
ever received. My heart is still open and full from the blessings of the
pipe, and the care from all of you.”

Therese grew up on the Port Madison Indian reservation of the Saquamish
tribe on Puget Sound with her grandmother, who was Irish and spoke
Gaelic. Therese was a healer, an acupuncturist who found her way to the
Mission district where she lived for 31 years. Therese came here after
being paroled from the federal penitentiary in 1984. She served almost 7
years for political activities in the late 60s and early 70s as part of
the George Jackson Brigade.

She said at one point: “A lot of people were wiling to risk a lot in
order to make change, to try to make the world a fairer and better
place. Why I individually chose to respond to that came from an early
life’s training to care about what was going on in the world, and take
seriously what our responsibilities were to make the world a better
place. And to stand up to injustice and wrong when it showed its face in
the world.”

In her early years she worked with UFW. “I come from working people so
there was a great respect for unions. And unionizing and the 8-hour day
and no child labor and there’s a whole history of fighting for that. And
Seattle’s a good union town. So I worked with the United Farmworkers
Union and learned then about the conditions in the migrant towns and the
way that our food was harvested in this country, and the way the people
who harvested our food were treated.”

Therese believed that activists too, are real healers. “I did go on to
become a healer [acupuncture], and in many ways, true activists are
healers. That if you’re an activist in the world, you’re working to make
the world a better place. You’re working to see that people have a home.
To see that people have healthy food, to see that people have access to
healthy lifestyles, parks, and places to walk, run. That people have
access to good, solid, healthy education. All of those things. That’s
healing to our culture, its healing to our society as a whole.”

Therese told me that she eventually moved her way “into working outside
the law and -- it did look like the world was on the brink of some
pretty profound and fundamental change in the late 60s and early 70s.

“So, it was my great honor to do time with a number of nuns who had
engaged in civil disobedience and were doing six months or a year – they
would break into the Naval Weapons Station in Banger, Washington state,
and hammer on the heads of the missiles. Purely symbolic, and then they
were convicted of a federal crime because they put a dent in the head of
the missiles and they would pour blood on the missiles too.

“And then I was lucky enough to have done time with Haydee Torres from
the Puerto Rican movement, and with Judy Siff, who was one of the
Weather Underground related groups and with Carmen Valentine and Dylcia
Pagan from the Puerto Rican Independence Movement, and all of these
people — whether it was the civil disobedience or more direct illegal
acts, they were just incredible people. They all had so much integrity.
A lot of people were wiling to risk a lot in order to make that change,
to try to make the world a fairer and better place.

“There are still close to 100 political prisoners in the United States
today either part of or related to the Black Panther Party; and Leonard
Peltier—the American Indian Movement; Oscar Lopez-the Puerto Rican
independence Movement. People still to this day are locked up for, in
most cases, nothing more than a conviction to conspire – not even for
actual acts. We must not forget them.”

She added, “These were some of the most honest people that I ever met.
And sincere in what they were about and what they were doing and in
their willingness to risk their lives. And their families and to just
risk everything in order to stand up for independence. In order to stand
up for their land and their people.”

Therese Coupez. PRESENTE.