[Pnews] Leonard Peltier on his 71st birthday

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 14 11:49:06 EDT 2015

September 12, 2015

Greetings everyone,

Well, today is another b-day for me — my 71st. I had hoped I would not
be here at this age, but that's not to be. So, I have to take a deep
breathe and slowly let it out… and prepare myself for yet another day in
here.

February 6th marks my 40th year in prison. How many of you know that
when I was indicted a life sentence was 7 years? I was sentenced to 2
life sentences, so with good time I have served 6 + life sentences. I
suppose all of this time has taken its toll on my body. I have a number
of different health issues that come with old age. The one I'm most
concerned about is my prostate.

Otherwise, I'm still getting compliments on how good I look for my age
(smile). People can be nice and say things that make me feel good once
in awhile. But I'm told this so often that I'm starting to believe it
(smile).

Hey, did you know that the last time I went before the Parole Commission
(2009), I was denied because I looked young and healthy… and a reason
given for denying me parole was that I might be too much of an influence
on the young Natives? Yeah, only in America.

And get this… In October 1984, when the Parole Commission was repealed
by Congress, the Commission was given 6 years to give me a parole date…
all of us "old time" prisoners really (those convicted prior to 1984).
Yes, this is all true. All you have to do is research it, and I bet you
will come away shocked as hell that this can happen in your country. The
Parole Commission is the only Government agency that has been repealed
and reinstated 35 days later without having to go through the normal
congressional channels and signed into law by the President. How does
this happen in a democracy?

I've been encouraged by things I've read recently though. And looking
back… It's been over 60 years, maybe a little longer. I was around 7 or
8 years old when I heard the old People talking about taking care of
Mother Earth. But for me anyway, as with all young People, I did not
really understand what they were trying to tell us, I guess? But I see
today the traditionalists were correct and AIM People were right when we
took it up as a rallying cry to the world. Still, when we spoke out
against the destruction of Mother Earth, we were called a bunch of nuts.
Well, today, it is called climate change, and there are now millions of
us crying out against the destruction of out Mother Earth. Amazing, huh?
Thankfully I have lived this long and can see we just might win this
war. I know it's not over — far from it — but the world is waking up and
talking about it now. So, it can be won in our lifetime.

Well, People, I don't know how much longer I have left on Mother Earth —
or if I will even be around for the next few years — but I always hope
and pray that I can be out there to spend my last few remaining years
with you. If not, so be it. I have been in here too long to cry now. I
just wish for more time to give to my People and to all freedom loving
People in the world.

Thanks again for all of the love you have shown me over these 40 years.
You have all been worth it.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse…

Doksha,

Leonard Peltier

ILPDC | Indigenous Rights Center LLC, 202 Harvard SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106