[Pnews] Prisoners report on San Quentin health crisis: Legionella outbreak prompts water shutdown

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 9 14:38:11 EDT 2015

*http://sfbayview.com/2015/09/prisoners-report-on-san-quentin-health-crisis-legionella-outbreak-prompts-water-shutdown/*

  Prisoners report on San Quentin health crisis: Legionella outbreak
  prompts water shutdown

*/by Kevin D. Sawyer
September 9, 2015
/*

On the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, government officials and
first responders continue to lack the ability to plan for emergency
situations.

San Quentin State Prison, California’s oldest prison, is still on a
virtual lockdown – or “modified program” – as normal programs for all
inmates have ceased since Thursday, Aug. 27, 2015, after “one confirmed
case of Legionnaires’ disease” was discovered, Warden Ron Davis’ Aug. 27
bulletin said.

“They (San Quentin and the California Department of Corrections and
Rehabilitation) knew this was coming,” said Charles Reece (D-06522).
“The first of the month they said they were going to shut down the water
to clean the pipes.”

In the afternoon of Aug. 27, prison officials placed yellow “Caution”
tape and signs on drinking fountains on the prison’s Lower Yard. “Don’t
Drink the Water,” the signs said.

Later that afternoon the prison administration ordered a mandatory
institutional recall of all inmates directing them to return to their
cells inside of their re­spective housing units.

Inmates said prison officials and medical staff had prior knowledge of
the spread of Legionella symptoms, suspecting there is a health
emergency brewing.

“If this has been going on since Monday (Aug. 24) how come all of a
sudden Thursday it’s coming out?” queried Elliott Beverly (K-42353).

On Friday, Aug. 28, the prison would not allow inmates to shower due to
the Legionella outbreak.

Because of the drought emergency declared by Gov. Brown earlier this
year, inmates at San Quentin have already been limited to three showers
a week.

“I think it’s a Machiavellian trick on the CDCR’s part to curb water
use,” said Steven Haden (P-32966). “I can’t do my normal body functions
to live. I’m a human being. I can’t shut down like a machine.”

“They shut the water off at 8:00 p.m. last night (Aug. 27) and said they
were going to bring us bottled water,” said Reace.

“Effective immediately, all water at the facility is non-potable pending
testing of our water sources,” the warden’s bulletin said.

On Thursday evening in West Block, officers announced over the public
address system that they would do hourly cell unlocks for inmates who
need to use the bathroom.

      Inmates said prison officials and medical staff had prior
      knowledge of the spread of Legionella symptoms, suspecting there
      is a health emergency brewing.

“The process they’re using now is totally barbaric,” said Terry
Slaughter (C-89387). “The prison (officials) failed to have a proper
back-up system for this prison.”

According to the California Code of Regulations (Title 15, Division 3, §
3301, Emergency Operations Plan), “Each warden must have in effect at
all times an Emergency Operations Plan, approved by the Emergency
Planning and Management Unit, to assist in the preparations for response
to and recovery from ‘All Hazards’ incidents.”

Qadree Birch (J-53333) works in the prison kitchen. He said he was not
allowed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, “Nor did they
supply us any water, but they want us to go to work.” He said he was in
his cell for 16 hours with the water turned off and the flushing
mechanism disabled on the toilet, “without warning.”

“For inside the institution, all water will be shut off to the housing
units,” the warden’s bulletin said. “For staff and inmates, bottled
water and secondary water resources will be deployed throughout the
institution for consumption.”

Inmates in West Block have been receiving secondary water that is
trucked in and stored inside of a temporary water tank on the Lower
Yard. Twenty-four hours after the warden’s bulletin was issued, no
inmate had received bottled water. As of Monday, Aug. 31, West Block
inmates still have not received bottled water.

Corrections officers arriving to work on Friday, Aug. 28, could be seen
carry­ing their own bottled water that either the prison issued to them
or they purchased outside the prison. On Sunday, Aug. 30, eight boxes
containing six half-gallon bottles of water each were brought into West
Block and placed at the corrections officers’ work station. It was later
moved when inmates began asking questions.

“They weren’t prepared,” said J.D. Martin (D-44170). “They should have
brought bottled water (for the inmates). We don’t know where the water
provided comes from. The water they did bring was foul tasting. They
could have provided better meals too.”

Inmates were given box lunches containing four pieces of bread, peanut
butter and jelly, two cookies, sunflower seeds and a flavored beverage
packet for dinner on Thursday evening, and again on Friday morning, Aug.
28, for breakfast.

“They’re killin’ us with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,” said Reece.

“Whether it’s true or not (that there’s a Legionella outbreak), I can
appreciated that something was done, but San Quentin’s prison
administration was not prepared for this,” said James Benson (E-C5506).

On the morning of Aug. 28, inmates were allowed outside of their cells
to pick up their breakfast, lunch and water. The meals were served in
front of several trash dumpsters that smelled of garbage from West Block
waste.

Inmates were not allowed access to the dining hall, which is where meals
are normally picked up during modified programs. At the time there were
no means or provisions made available for the men to wash their hands,
irrespective of the water being shut off the day before.

      “They’re killin’ us with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,” said
      Reece.

Because drinking water was provided that came from portable kitchen
thermoses, Beverly asked, “Where’s the water coming from?”

“It’s a sad state of affairs when men are oppressed and deprived of
their basic human rights and necessities,” said Shaka Senegal Muhammad
(K-16606), who is an Inmate Disability Assistance Program worker.

On West Block’s Upper Yard, 14 new Honey Bucket porta-potties, made by
Satellite Industries, Inc., were made available by Friday morning for
inmate use. No seat covers or extra toilet paper was provided.

There were two hand-washing stations provided later – for more than 700
inmates. No paper towels were available in the morning, and each unit
ran out of water in less than an hour. Both of the water storage tanks
had trash in the bottom.

Leroy Lucas (J-44232) said he went to medical on Thursday, Aug. 27, and
saw a Dr. Beatty, who told him he had Legionella. “I have all the
symptoms of Legionella: short breath, coughing.” He said a prescription
for antibiotics was written for him but as of that evening he had not
received medication.

Reminiscent of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, men stood in line in
the hot sun for hours waiting to get water from the portable thermoses.
They were told it was uncontaminated water, but because it was not
bottled they questioned where it came from.

The men had to provide their own cups. State-issued cups for meals hold
eight fluid ounces. Indigent inmates who cannot purchase larger
containers had to use plastic coffee jars and soda bottles which
according to prison rules are considered contraband once the original
contents are depleted.

“Enough bottled water should have been stored and made accessible within
about three or four hours,” said Benson. “We went without water for more
than 12 hours. This is an emergency.”

Robert Ortiz (T-90745) said the state should test the water more often
to prevent any type of outbreak. “I feel they should always be prepared
with bottled water. We didn’t get to use the bathroom or drink water
until 2:00 in the morning.” Quoting the Ifa religion, Babalawo Orisan,
Ortiz said, ‘“Water is life and without it, it’s all bad with everything.’”

“It looks like a third-world country out there,” said Lucas.

Haden said the situation the prison administration has created with the
water is inadequate. “If they can’t give me what I need to exist as a
human being, then they need to let me go.”

The CDCR is still under federal receivership by the federal court due to
decades of medical and mental health neglect of inmates, and it has been
ordered to reduce the inmate population to 137.5 percent of overall
design capacity.

“The fear is we don’t want other individuals to be effected,” Lt. Samuel
Robinson, San Quentin’s public information officer, told NBC Bay Area
news, KNTV, Channel 11. “It’s an uncomfortable period of time, but bear
with us and we’ll get through it.”

Prison officials have spoken to inmates through the Men’s Advisory
Council (MAC), an elected body of inmates that serves as the liaison
between the administration and inmates.

MAC representative Jamal Lewis (H-57184) said, “They need to condemn
this mother-f**kin’ place. They put us through cruel and unusual
conditions and expect us to take it.”

Late Saturday, Aug. 29, NBC reported more than 30 inmates with symptoms
of Legionella.

On Sunday, ABC reported six cases of inmates with the pneumonia-like
disease and 51 more with symptoms.

As of Monday, Aug. 31, the inmates in West Block have gone more than 96
hours without a hot meal and no bottled water. The only inmates known to
be receiving bottled water are the men in the Adjustment Center, Death
Row and administrative segregation.

“Some of the water I tasted tastes kind of stale,” said Wade Morman
(H-36783). “I’m disappointed they would deceive the public, namely about
portable showers. I haven’t had a shower in five days.”

All of this comes less than a week after the prison hosted the largest
health fair in the nation held inside of a correctional facility. It was
the prison’s 12th annual health fair sponsored by the inmate group TRUST
(Teaching Responsibility Utilizing Sociological Training) and
Centerforce in conjunction with the Bay Area Black Nurses Association.

      Prison officials have spoken to inmates through the Men’s Advisory
      Council (MAC), an elected body of inmates that serves as the
      liaison between the administration and inmates.

“They (SQ and CDC officials) lied to Channel 5 News (KPTX) about bottled
water. Nobody on the mainline has received bottled water,” said Russell
Bowden (D-82038). “Staff has been using said bottled water that was
supposed to go to inmates.”

Bowden said he was told by an inmate kitchen worker that the bottled
water is stacked in the kitchen. He also said there are inmates who have
had Valley Fever in other CDCR prisons and other serious ailments that
compromise their immune systems and are subject to “serious physical harm.”

“Where’s the contingency plan?” asked Charles David Henry (F-00408). He
said the prison has not provided him with the required distilled water
for his C-Pap breath­ing machine. He uses it at night to generate water
vapor for his lungs. He said it restores oxygen to his blood while he
sleeps.

According to Henry, he asked Sgt. Collier when he would get his water.
He said the sergeant contacted the prison’s medical department and was
told to inform Henry to use regular water.

“They said on the news they (prison officials) were using water to cook
our meals and we haven’t had cooked food since this started,” said
Morman. “They said we have portable showers and bottled water.”

Late Sunday afternoon, Aug. 30, the first wave of inmates in West Block
were escorted to the Lower Yard to take showers in portable mobile showers.

“No one in four days has received a shower and no hot meals,” said Bowden.

Considering the circumstances, the prisoners have been fairly calm
throughout the ordeal, although many are heard discussing the matter
around the cell block, express­ing their dismay about how the situation
has been handled. Some say they are going to file grievances.

As of Sunday, all inmates have been given showers. They are still eating
the box lunches, no fruit in two days. West Block inmates have not had
any vegetables, hot meals or bottled water. They did, however, pick up
the box lunches for dinner in the dining hall instead of in front of the
trash dumpsters.

On Monday, Aug. 31, inmates in West Block were served box lunches for
breakfast and dinner.

“I don’t see why they’re (prison officials and the media) saying we’re
getting bottled water that we haven’t received since it started,” said
Tyrone Bracks (P-06686) on Wednesday, Sept. 2. “We barely started
getting hot meals.”

On Sept. 1, representatives from the Prison Law Office came to West
Block’s Upper Yard to talk with inmates and ask questions about what was
going on. Other inmates reported that San Quentin Public Information
Officer Lt. Sam Robinson escorted the PLO to West Block.

On Sept. 2 at 7:57 a.m., KPIX Channel 5 reported inmates receiving “hot
meals.” This most certainly was not true for West Block inmates. The
first hot meals served since the Legionella incident began on Aug. 27
was at the evening meal on Sept. 2 at 5:00 p.m.

“I’m not getting enough nutrition to keep my body healthy,” said Gary
Laine (V-90706). He said he has heart disease and is in bad health. “My
stomach’s all messed up” from eating all the peanut butter.

      “I don’t see why they’re (prison officials and the media) saying
      we’re getting bottled water that we haven’t received since it
      started,” said Tyrone Bracks (P-06686) on Wednesday, Sept. 2. “We
      barely started getting hot meals.”

On Sept. 2, KNTV Channel 11 reported 95 inmates with Legionella-like
symptoms at San Quentin.

On the same day, it was reported by some West Block inmates that the
Marin County Health Department visited the prison. At the time of this
report it was not clear what the purpose of the visit was.

/Kevin D. Sawyer is a staff writer for San Quentin News,
//sanquentinnews.com/ <http://sanquentinnews.com/>/, and a member of the
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ No. 9996646). He holds a B.A.
in mass communication with a broadcasting option from California State
Univer­sity, Hayward, and a diploma as a paralegal and legal assistant
from Blackstone Career Institute. Send our brother some love and light:
Kevin D. Sawyer, P-22673, 1W-69U, San Quentin State Prison, San Quentin
CA 94974./

    *Contaminated water at San Quentin*

*/by Shai Alkebu-Lan/*

On Aug. 27, the Men’s Advisory Council met with prison officials to
discuss the problems of a contaminated water supply at San Quentin.
Since Aug. 24, dozens of inmates have been hospitalized due to a
contaminated water supply.

Usually this occurs temporarily during the backwashing of the filters,
but this time the contaminants made their way into the drinking water
reservoir.

At present (Aug. 28), there are no fatalities, and according to the MAC
representatives, all water is shut off, drinking water shall be shipped
in and portable toilets shall be made available 24 hours a day.

However, the prison is on lockdown. There shall be no movement until the
problem subsides.

The inmate population wants the community to know our plight and to be
watchful of your own water supply.

/Send our brother some love and light: Shai Alkebu-Lan, P-02598, 5W-16L,
San Quentin State Prison, San Quentin CA 94974./

    *The spread of disease at San Quentin*

*/by a death row SHU prisoner/*

Having an incubation period of up to 10 days, Legionnaires Disease may
be activated by the steam of cooking or perhaps a hot shower. That’s
according to information from various memos and bulletins posted on SQTV
and local corporate media channels.

Based on one confirmed case, the first step Acting Warden Ron Davis took
was to shut off the water supply to all the housing units. Considering
the fact the water was turned back on within 24 hours of the reactionary
shutoff, it’s reasonable to conclude nobody in charge thought the
bacteria – Legionella – was being introduced via the prison’s water
supply. In fact, at no time during Davis’ feigned fervor was
staff-access-only water shut off.

Once the water was back on, Davis assured all staff and inmates, “It is
OK to use the water for cooking.” Despite that being in writing, as of
Aug. 30, prisoners warehoused in the death row SHUs and perhaps
throughout San Quentin continue being fed sacks of dry, uncooked food
for breakfast, lunch and dinner as if we’re dogs in a kennel.

The local corporate media didn’t report how malfunctioning
water-limiting hardware causes toilets to flush continuously and how
they’re left running for hours, days and even weeks. One has been
flushing since about 6:30 a.m., and it’s now 10 a.m. There’s actually a
prisoner in that cell too.

As I sit here listening to a toilet flushing into its 12^th hour
straight, knowing it must be shooting a mist of bacteria – including
Legionella? – into the air, which the occupant cannot escape from, I
wonder how anyone in his right mind can’t see why the prison health care
system is overwhelmed to the point of being declared cruel and unusual
punishment.

On Aug. 31, the day this was sent to the Bay View, the in-cell second
tier temperature reached 81.2 degrees by 8 p.m., and the toilet was
still flushing when the mail was picked up.

An even more deadly sickness keeps spreading throughout prison systems
in the U.S., and it’s a lot like an antibiotic resistant strain of
influenza. Reform cannot eradicate it and this strain is particularly
vicious since nobody is immune to all the physical and mental damage
hidden in denial and media manipulation.