[Pnews] Prisoners’ Rights Attorneys Press Constitutional Challenge to Experimental Prison Units (CMUs)

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 28 16:33:45 EDT 2015

*Prisoners’ Rights Attorneys Press Constitutional Challenge to
Experimental Prison Units*
Contact:
Jen Nessel, jnessel at ccrjustice.org
October 28, 2015, Washington, D.C. –

Today, the Center for Constitutional Rights appealed a district court
ruling in a case challenging the constitutionality of the Bureau of
Prisons’ (BOP) secretive, highly-restrictive Communications Management
Units (CMU). In 2014, CCR’s lawsuit, Aref v. Holder, uncovered hundreds
of documents detailing the BOP’s process for designating prisoners to
CMUs. Among other issues, the documents revealed that the BOP did not
draft criteria for designating prisoners to the CMUs until three years
after the first unit opened; that different BOP offices tasked with
designating prisoners have different understandings of the criteria;
that the reasons provided to CMU prisoners for their designation are
incomplete, inaccurate, and sometimes even false; and that political
speech exercised by prisoners was used as a factor in their CMU
designation. In its ruling, the district court did not consider these
documents, instead finding that the CMUs are not sufficiently unusual,
harsh, or restrictive to trigger due process rights.
“The Bureau of Prisons has kept everything about their Communications
Management Units opaque—from how you end up there to how you get out,”
said plaintiff Daniel McGowan. “I only learned through this lawsuit that
I was sent to the CMU because I continued to care about politics when I
was incarcerated and because I wrote letters to my friends on the
outside about social justice issues. Other people in the CMUs should
have the right to learn why they were actually sent there, too.”
In addition to having their telephone and visitation access heavily
restricted, CMU prisoners are categorically denied any physical contact
with family members, forbidden from hugging, touching or embracing their
children or spouses during visits. Attorneys say this blanket ban on
contact visitation is unique in the federal prison system and causes
suffering to people in prison and their families.
“Communications Management Units impose harsh restrictions on prisoners’
communication with their families and with fellow prisoners for years at
a time,” said Center for Constitutional Rights Senior Staff Attorney
Rachel Meeropol. “All we are seeking is an explanation of why these
prisoners are being singled out for such a restrictive unit, and the
chance to contest false or retaliatory placements.”
In addition to appealing the district court’s due process ruling, CCR is
also appealing adverse rulings on their claims that prisoners were held
in the CMUs in retaliation for First Amendment protected political and
religious speech.
The CMUs were quietly opened in Terre Haute, Indiana, and Marion,
Illinois, in 2006 and 2008, respectively, to monitor and control the
communications of certain prisoners and isolate them from other
prisoners and the outside world. Sixty percent of CMU prisoners are
Muslim, though Muslims comprise only six percent of the federal prisoner
population.
The documents uncovered in CCR’s lawsuit were described in detail in a
recent TED Talk by journalist Will Potter.
https://www.ted.com/…/will_potter_the_secret_us_prisons_you…
<https://www.ted.com/talks/will_potter_the_secret_us_prisons_you_ve_never_heard_of_before?language=en>
For more information on Aref v. Holder, visit CCR’s case page
athttp://ccrjustice.org/…/what-we-do/our-cases/aref-et-al-v-h…
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fccrjustice.org%2Fhome%2Fwhat-we-do%2Four-cases%2Faref-et-al-v-holder-et-al&h=GAQGDY3HcAQGx9bAgRFGgQp6x0TGZ_JDIWDWhDOXPu76_Sw&enc=AZPuVtJaFlhSAusASV08vby2FdwuLUi3SNFTv81Ee_uRW8C4ifnJnE2F0_2oFJbeXvYd1X1dLluB0HhLW13P0TVdSlnJl317MXNNwrDn7e-u0Di4dA1Y-MeVD5rNVGfWmXwiBziJVThC7dSui_u1DJPGx70pNrYDwTRXocNDw8s8hpbizYqSmfrFBq_JPCdzrXWFZstR1kukqV-uYBMyFEXI&s=1>
For more on the Center for Constitutional Rights work on mass
incarceration, visit our issue page.
The law firm Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP and attorney Kenneth A. Kreuscher
are co-counsel in the case.

Read the brief -
http://ccrjustice.org/sites/default/files/attach/2015/10/Are%20Appeal%20brief%2010.28.2015.pdf