[Pnews] Jalil Muntaqim Arbitrarily Denied Receipt of Books, Including His Own

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 26 10:18:16 EDT 2015

    *On October 7, 2015, Jalil was arbitrarily denied receipt of four
    books after they had been approved by the package room. Jalil would
    like folks to write to Commissioner Annucci regarding this matter. *

  Jalil Arbitrarily Denied Books

TO: Dale Artus, Superintendent
FR: A. Bottom #77A4283, D-38-31
Re: Denial of Books, Violation of Dir. #4911
<http://www.doccs.ny.gov/Directives/4911.pdf>, Dir #4572
<http://www.doccs.ny.gov/Directives/4572.pdf>
Violation of NYS Employees Manual §14.4
DT: October 7, 2015

Superintendent Artus:

There is a reoccurring problem at the package room pertaining to the
receipt of books and reading materials.

Today, I was called to the package room to receive several books
(Billionaires: Reflections on the Upper Crust, by Darrell M. West;
Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super Rich and the Fall of
Everyone Else, by Chrystie Freeland; Clandestine Occupations—An
Imaginary History, by Diana Block; and Escaping the Prism—Fade to Black,
by Jalil Muntaqim). The last book is of my own writings, my third
published book. All of the books were originally approved to be received
when received by the package room. However, when the package room
officer started to give me the books, seeing the one written by me, he
decided the books were no longer permitted to be received. I then
requested the books be sent to media review pursuant to Directive
4911(H)(1)(b). The officer refused, demanding they be sent from the
facility or be destroyed.

This is not the first time I’ve been denied publications and books from
package room officers, or books were not processed according to Dir.
#4911 and/or Dir. #4572. For example, as here enclosed, a publication
was sent to Media Review without my being informed of receipt to the
facility. The only notice of the publication receipt was from Media
Review, informing the publication violated specific guidelines. This is
not the correct protocol or procedure when books and publications
received by the facility are sent to Media Review.

Again, when the officer today recognized one of the books was of my own
writing, sent by my publisher, he decided at the window I could not have
the book after first giving me the receipt paper for me to sign to
receive the book. He then rejected the three other books out of hand,
again denying they be sent to the Media Review Committee, although
invoices for each indicated they were properly ordered.

I would prefer not to presume the officer at the package room was
prejudiced due to my being the author of the book. However, the only
conclusion to be reached, after the books were initially approved to be
received, is that the officer’s refusal to permit me to have the books
at the window obviously provides no other plausible reason than his
personal disdain and prejudice.

Needless to assert here, there is a plethora of legal cases and Court
rulings that deny violation of First Amendment guarantees as pertaining
to free speech and receipt of literature for prisoners. This includes
the procedural due process right for the handling of literature for
prisoners. In this case, those procedural due process rights are
promulgated in DOCCS Directive(s) #4911, #4572 and Employees Manual §14.4

This is my first formal complaint to your office, although this has been
a reoccurring problem. I sincerely hope your office will investigate
this matter, and assure future receipt of books, publications and
literature will be processed according to stated Directives, and not
subject to officers’ prejudice, capricious or arbitrary discretion.

Sincerely,
Anthony Bottom

cc: Anthony Annucci, Commissoner DOCCS
Correctional Association of New York
Attorney
fl.

Anthony Bottom #77A4283
Attica Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 149
Attica, New York 14011-0149

October 7, 2015

Anthony Annucci
Commissioner of DOCCS
1220 Washington Avenue
The Harriman State Campus, Building 2
Albany, New York 12226-2050

Re: Attica Correctional Facility Failure to
Adhere to Directive(s) #4911 & 4572
Employees Manual §14.1

Dear Commissioner Annucci:
I have been in Attica this time since 2011, enduring the rampant racism
and stress of threat of brutality. I’ve been concentrating on building
community support for eventual release on parole. However, there is an
increasing level of harassment and prejudice being directed toward me
and friends (family) who visit.

Previously, I requested those who suffered such disrespect and
harassment to raise their concerns with the office of DOCCS
Commissioner. However, the majority of the time I’ve asked visitors to
ignore such harassment.

However, it is now approaching a problem in which minor concerns such as
receipt of literature are being arbitrarily denied in violation of
specific Directives that are in place to mitigate against such violations.

In this regards, I am enclosing a complaint raised with Superintendent
Dale Artus, in furtherance of making a record. If litigation is
required, Notice is here given.

There is an ongoing and continuing problem of violation of Directive(s)
#4911 and #4572 at this facility. I have previously litigated this
matter in a general issue of misappropriation of funds, and failure to
vote exchange of packages for TV, and no Inmate Liaison Committee
elections at this facility. Nonetheless, the persistence of fundamental
Directive violations, for me has reached a nodal point demanding this
matter be brought directly to your office’s attention.

Given the extent of the reoccurring problem, and the years of
experiencing this violation, it is my sincere hope a full and complete
investigation will be made subject to this complaint.

Your prompt and concise reply to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Anthony Bottom
cc: Dale Artus, Superintendent;
Correctional Association of New York